List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Something tells me Cam will crack in and become a regular before too long. Beaming smile, but I could imagine with a few years on the bones he'd be a scary customer to come across in a dark alley. Could have marketing value down the track, good speaker.

Albury boy who has been living away in Melbourne the past four years, so go-home shouldn't be much of a concern any time soon.

Last edited:

After my initial melt I've come around to the idea more, highlights look pretty good given he hasn't played much footy. Looks to have a good amount of mass on him already and like he could fill out pretty well which bodes well for transitioning to the midfield. Looks pretty strong overhead as well. Hopefully he has a big preseason and can get into the senior side pretty quickly.

I believe most experts did not rate him due to previous injury until they found out WCE is going to pick him up.
He is now in a "hidden jam" status and the pressure is on the club to develop him into a shiny precious stone.

Last edited:
After my initial melt I've come around to the idea more, highlights look pretty good given he hasn't played much footy. Looks to have a good amount of mass on him already and like he could fill out pretty well which bodes well for transitioning to the midfield. Looks pretty strong overhead as well. Hopefully he has a big preseason and can get into the senior side pretty quickly.

The vision they showed on Draft night (when David King had him 10th in his top 10) of him arranging team-mates at a stoppage was great. He ended up getting the ball about 20 seconds later, but had basically created the space and opportunity through leadership.

I wasn't (maybe still not) convinced at the time of the pick about it being right at 14 - but if a few of his 'elite possible' qualities come together he could be an absolute jet. Time will tell, but there are definitely things that we can work with.

The vision they showed on Draft night (when David King had him 10th in his top 10) of him arranging team-mates at a stoppage was great. He ended up getting the ball about 20 seconds later, but had basically created the space and opportunity through leadership.

I wasn't (maybe still not) convinced at the time of the pick about it being right at 14 - but if a few of his 'elite possible' qualities come together he could be an absolute jet. Time will tell, but there are definitely things that we can work with.
Some things are not 'possible' but real. he has true pace, looks relaxed but is fast and has endurance with a powerful body (thats where the sprinting comes from - not a good school level but state level.) We have a Rolls Royce
I suggest the club looked at what we need/our picks/is available and took the absolute best value for the pick we had. Not low lying fruit but a a smart pick.

Last edited:
I believe most experts did not rate him due to previous injury until they found out WCE is going to pick him up.
He is now in a "hidden jam" status and the pressure is on the club to develop him into a shiny precious stone.

Hidden jam? Was he stuck up the back of the pantry?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder when he'll actually get a game, unlikely to be any time soon, given his start will be later than everyone else :think:

Our other first rounders:

Venables didn't debut until round 1 of his second season.

Brander pulled on the wings in a famous belting at the SCG in round 13 of his first year.

Duggan played round 2 after he was drafted.

Sheed played round 1 in his first year.

Wonder when he'll actually get a game, unlikely to be any time soon, given his start will be later than everyone else :think:

Our other first rounders:

Venables didn't debut until round 1 of his second season.

Brander pulled on the wings in a famous belting at the SCG in round 13 of his first year.

Duggan played round 2 after he was drafted.

Sheed played round 1 in his first year.

It probably depends on his Xmas plans (along with the club). 'if' he's happy to be away from his family and have Xmas at simmo's then he might be a chance. But 2 x 14 days quarantine (which the club won't make him do - it would be pushed back to a January arrival date) would set him back a fair way in the pecking order I'd think.

Basically if he heads over now and is out around the 10th/12th of December ready to train (and trains in Perth through the break) then he will be an early-season chance.

I remember when Adelaide supporters were bitching about picking Dangerfield instead of Brad Ebert many years ago. Hopefully another situation like that. 😅

Honestly, I was both skeptical and cynical when Chesser was called out, knowing that we could have taken either of Hobbs or Johnson before trading down.

I hadn't seen him at length; he had played barely half a dozen matches in two years - commentary was describing him as a rebounding defender with good foot skills but lacking in the contest. No other club was being linked until the second round, yet here we were stumping up a first round pick for a back flanker over contested midfielders that were sorely needed.

And let's be honest, the highlights packages provided look pretty average.

However, NONE of that is a true reflection of the player that we have just picked up.

If you have a want for masochism (or working from home so you don't fall foul of your employer's alcohol testing the day after melting over the draft), go have a look at the broadcasts of Sandringham's matches that he was involved in.

What you will see is a player with the following characteristics:
  • runs very hard in both directions
  • has exceptional acceleration over the first 4-5 paces
  • puts himself into good positions forward of the ball time and time again (got burnt by team-mates on many occasions, but just keeps presenting in space)
  • vision and reading of play that is elite
  • acts decisively and makes good decisions
  • kicks take a high arc, but they have penetration and hit their targets
  • disposal that maintains its effectiveness at full pace
  • disposal that maintains its effectiveness under opposition pressure

I'll put it out there right now as well - we have not drafted half back here - what we have is a midfielder who is capable of playing anywhere through the middle.

The Dragons have been absolutely stacked with talent (nine players taken over the three draft days this year). With so many options dominating the centre, they placed their best executors on the outside (Chesser, Sinn and Callaghan) where they could inflict maximum damage going forward.

Injuries forced Callaghan to be used inside and the rest is history. Chesser however suffered a severe injury himself at the moment that further opportunity could have beckoned - when he did return it was back on the wing again and looked far from being 100% fit.

Now, let me be clear - I am not trying to place Chesser on a direct comparison with Callaghan by any means - just using the example to demonstrate that his placement on the outside at Sandringham should not be taken as evidence of not being capable of contributing on the inside or winning his own ball.

Watch what he does on the ground. When starting behind play he will look to provide overlap options through the corridor. If he is on the wing he comes around the back of the stoppage and opens up the other side ground. When he gets time on ball he intuitively recognises channels at stoppages and uses his acceleration to clear possession through them at pace.

His strengths are typically those that successfully translate to higher level - vision, disposal, acceleration, execution under pressure. There is a lot to work with and get excited about here when he joins the club next year.

He also has more mass than Horne-Francis, Daicos, Callaghan, Erasmus, Hobbs, Sinn, Johnson, Goater, Sonsie, Knevitt, Roberts, Draper - indeed the only midfielder in the pool with more mass was Sheldrick.

His 83kg is already 5kg heavier than Petrevski-Seton and Trew. He also outweighs West, O'Neill, Cole and Kelly - in fact he is same weight as Duggan and only 2kg lighter than Redden. His body is far more ready-made than has been widely considered.

Furthermore he is a natural leader who is confident and driven to get the most from himself and his career.

His positive approach will be popular with the playing group and his well-adjusted outlook (seeing living away from family as an opportunity to develop as an individual) minimises any future flight risk.

The more I see of him, the more I am being convinced that his selection by the club has been a very smart move.

He also becomes the first pick 14 for the club since Travis Gaspar in 1999.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back