Player Watch Ned McHenry

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
just looking at his highlights package

certainly got that 'rascal' presence that the Crows have lacked in the past (and the kind of player who would clean up against us)

But anyone else concerned maybe some of those tackles would be free kicks against in the AFL ?

certainly got that 'rascal' presence that the Crows have lacked in the past (and the kind of player who would clean up against us)

But anyone else concerned maybe some of those tackles would be free kicks against in the AFL ?

Nope. Giving away a free kick is a much better result then letting the ball flow out in open play, especially if you're playing forward/midfield.

It only becomes concerning if it's a free kick and the ball had spilled.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Nope. Giving away a free kick is a much better result then letting the ball flow out in open play, especially if you're playing forward/midfield.

ok yeah you are right there

but I mean does his technique need a little work? They weren't blatant but you know you only need a Pannell type to start cracking down on a slightly questionable action for it to be jumped on

ok yeah you are right there

but I mean does his technique need a little work? They weren't blatant but you know you only need a Pannell type to start cracking down on a slightly questionable action for it to be jumped on

The issue there is there is enough "grey" rules that if someone wanted to crack down, they'll find something. That said McHenry technique will need to be tightened up, after all he is a first year player. Pretty safe assumption with everything he does (except running, seeing he's already top 5 here, which does make me wonder about his ceiling).

We've been pretty solid with tackling in the last few years, so I'm confident it will in time.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.

Scotty Thompson is a big fan of his technique.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
The boys can run, exceptional performance.

Reakts97

Senior List
Dec 5, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
76ers
I think this kid keeps things interesting in the locker room as well as the field. Although that seems irrelevant,I believe in a work place it's important to keep people mindset interested and engaged.Hasn't played a game yet but i cant think of anyone as charismatic as him and seems like someone you'd want in your workplace.

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-01-10/mchenry-makes-his-mark?camefrom=EMCL_2675136_124003511

General Manager of High Performance Matt Hass said he was exceptionally pleased with the results.

“The majority of the players met their targets and it puts us in a wonderful position returning from the Christmas period,” he said.

“As first year players, it’s a great way for Ned and Chayce to start their careers and it puts them in the frame for playing AFL football early.”

Oooh :) :)

Doobie Doedee

Senior List
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm just wondering, where does this kid's 10.8 average tackles across his 4 U18 games rank historically? Would have to be up there I would've thought...

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
I'm just wondering, where does this kid's 10.8 average tackles across his 4 U18 games rank historically? Would have to be up there I would've thought...

I believe he laid the most tackles ever in an U18 champs. I reckon that was said by the talking heads on draft night, IIRC.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Something the likes of Menzel never got.

Carlton was about the worst place to be drafted to. Got easy games early, had a little success even, but no decent role models or standards to develop a good work ethic off field. Arrived at the Crows and never quite able to catch. Although I did get the feeling he struggled to fit in which hurt as well, McGovern also kind of took the spot we had him pencilled in for.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Carlton was about the worst place to be drafted to. Got easy games early, had a little success even, but no decent role models or standards to develop a good work ethic off field. Arrived at the Crows and never quite able to catch. Although I did get the feeling he struggled to fit in which hurt as well, McGovern also kind of took the spot we had him pencilled in for.
I was told that he thought the club was cliquey and also blamed Pyke not liking him as a reason he didn't get selected.

I'm sure getting 4 disposals against a team like the Gold Coast may have had more to do with it however.

Apr 1, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kilkenny Cats, WWT Eagles
I was told that he thought the club was cliquey and also blamed Pyke not liking him as a reason he didn't get selected.

I'm sure getting 4 disposals against a team like the Gold Coast may have had more to do with it however.

I suspect there's a reason why Pyke didn't "like him".

Guys that coast through on talent and don't work hard to be the best player they can be generally don't endear themselves to coaches.

Menzel was an absolute waste of talent. If he had been drafted to another club he could have been an AFL star, maybe.

He could have been drafted by us and never played an AFL game.

He's made a lot of money out of football whilst delivering very little.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
there is a difference between a coach not playing a player, and not liking the player

when Troy Mwnzel was drafted to the Crows he was told and had a clear understanding on the training work loads and what it would take to get selected for AFL games at the AFC

With that said Troy improved his training standards and got fitter than he had ever been at Carlton, when selected at AFL or SANFL he showed more 2nd efforts and worked harder up the grounf HOWEVER there was still a fitness gap between Troy and the main core group

Its easy for a talent player to say the coach didst like him, however the truth is for all Troy's natural talent this wasn't backed up with the conditioning required to play our 2016/17 explosive game plan

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Get the feeling Neddy will be a "stayer" not a "goer" in regards to flight risk. Looks to be settling in to the Adelaide lifestyle nicely, now we just need one of our Crows supporters to give up some of their 'secret' fishing hot spots. If I was still in SA I'd get him up to Port Broughton and head out to the Middle Bank beacon when the snapper run is on in earnest....bag limit without even trying.

Last edited:

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Get the feeling Neddy will be a "stayer" not a "goer" in regards to flight risk. Looks to be settling in to the Adelaide lifestyle nicely, now we just need one of our Crows supporters to give up some of their 'secret' fishing hot spots. If I was still in SA I'd get him up to Port Broughton and head out to the Middle Bank beacon when the snapper run is on in earnest....bag limit without even trying.
Reckon he will be a favourite of Rowie so he will get some good tips on the best fishing spots,

Reakts97

Senior List
Dec 5, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
76ers
The lad seems way to adventurous for a go home factor

ChilliP

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
Goolwa
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think 90% of the "go home factor" is to do with the player's partners, if their partner comes from interstate they will likely want to return. The player has comradery with the team but the partner doesn't. Getting a local partner isn't always the solution either, from what I heard a big reason why Tippet wanted to leave was due to a messy breakup with a local girl whose family was well connected with the club.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think 90% of the "go home factor" is to do with the player's partners, if their partner comes from interstate they will likely want to return. The player has comradery with the team but the partner doesn't. Getting a local partner isn't always the solution either, from what I heard a big reason why Tippet wanted to leave was due to a messy breakup with a local girl whose family was well connected with the club.

Nothing helps heal a broken heart like a change of scenery and $900k a year.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker

Nothing says 'home' like moving to a place you have absolutely no connection with.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Tyson Stenglein said the same. The year he left he had broken up with his Adelaide girlfriend

He was out of contract (I think?), we needed trade currency.

It wasn't the sole reason he left. Just part of the picture.

Back