Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon he’s only mentioned because our backline is completely devoid of anything resembling counter attack. Something needs to change and not because a player had a good year as a defender.
Laird is a bigger concern imo. Love the little guy but he had a terrible 2019.

He was appointed by Burton so no, Im not a fan. He's well liked by the playing group though.

Has certainly managed to fly under the radar, given all the heat on everyone else. Rode on Burton's undeserving coattails into a highly coveted "high performance manager" position, despite having very little to show for it. Once Kelly starts to settle into his role, I suspect the heat may very quickly start to fall onto Hass.

I’m hoping it’s a blip and that we open our midfield up to more rotations and that he’s among those.

Hopefully having a game style with quicker ball movement also helps corrects it, just by giving more easier attacking options.

He is a midfield type.
We already have too many one paced ball magnets in our midfield.

Laird is an elite small defender, play him there.

Just play the kids Jones and McHenry, they will complement Sloane and the Crouches much better than Laird, and it’s their natural position.

We already have too many one paced ball magnets in our midfield.

Laird is an elite small defender, play him there.

Just play the kids Jones and McHenry, they will complement Sloane and the Crouches much better than Laird, and it’s their natural position.

You can never have enough midfield options (in an ideal world we'd have more than half the side being able to rotate through there), and from that, it's worth the time to explore at least.

After all, one of our goals this year should be finding rotations for Sloane and the Crouches away from the midfield.

You can never have enough midfield options (in an ideal world we'd have more than half the side being able to rotate through there), and from that, it's worth the time to explore at least.

After all, one of our goals this year should be finding rotations for Sloane and the Crouches away from the midfield.
That sounds like a great goal if your priority is to finish as far down the ladder as possible.

I agree with this however I don't think you need to move an elite defender into midfield when we've got enough players to move in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mutineer.

I was thinking, "gee,Sprague looks quite pasty."

Then I realised it was Reilly O'Brien.
tumblr_mqywrgvH331sn3v2so1_400.gif

Wonder if we'd look at Neddy's best mate and fellow Geelong Falcon Charlie Sprague [pictured] with our vacant rookie spot, a very clever team orientated medium forward with the happy knack of hitting the scoreboard regularly with his accurate kicking, unfortunately for Charlie he missed most of his draft year with a badly injured finger but he has shown a heap of talent when he gets on the park.

View attachment 799272
View attachment 799275

Adelaide Crow youngster Ned McHenry says fishing is his other great love outside of footy
Put a shirt on! You're embarrassing me

I agree with this however I don't think you need to move an elite defender into midfield when we've got enough players to move in there.
I agree. Smith, Milera, Gibbs and Gallucci are the types we need to add to the Matt, Sloane, Brad mix.

Leave Laird to do what he does best. Smae goes for Brown

That sounds like a great goal if your priority is to finish as far down the ladder as possible.

If it happens it isn't a bad thing.

2020 is a transitional year and one we need to begin to build for a premiership assault in 2022-2025. One of the things we'll need for that assault is a damn deep midfield, otherwise, a similar result to what 2016-2017 obtained will occur where our midfield was shut down when Sloane got tagged out of the game.

If lets say, we implement that and finish bottom 4? We have begun to develop our midfield depth, and we've also obtained another shot at a high-end talent, which would be a very West Coast like result. After all flexibility and talent are the gatekeepers of success in this league, and that adds both.

A good, to great midfielder (should Brown end up that good) is more valuable than an elite small defender as the best case scenario. As much as football is a team game, all positions aren't equal in value, and midfields (as well as key positions) are the areas which need prioritisation. Of course having that rotation back to a small defender which can shut down good small forwards for periods of time also adds a whole avenue of flexibility that other clubs would lack. Or vice versa.

Even if the end up result is for a rotation once every few games to once/twice a season, it's still a different look midfield for a small period of time, even from other rotations. Sometimes that creates an imbalance which can see someone get off the leash. It also potentially lets someone who is struggling in the midfield to get easy ball and work himself in the game, especially if your go-to half-backs are hot (seeing you can shuffle someone like a Doedee/Kelly to be a small defender for this period). It would also get Brown in the game more, which considering Luke is competent offensively, it's not a long shot of working. It's also worth noting in this day and age, coaches aren't good at adapting quickly which could make it an even more potent hail mary.

And if he looks useless in the midfield? At least you don't die wondering with Luke. Unlike, lets say, a Johncock.

You'll never have enough players who could move in the midfield after all, and unless they're KPDs/Rucks, it's always worthwhile exploring if they can. I'd have KPFs as worthwhile in exploring just due to forward lines can be quite the wasteland at times.

I'd be quite comfortable in arguing that we will need one of Doedee, or Brown to add a sparingly used, but competent midfield rotation to their game to make sure we don't get too predictable in our moves. I'd prefer Doedee for the mixture of playing loose/medium defender which would be an easier switch, but I reckon Brown has a higher chance of taking to it.

Last edited:
Saw Nicks mention McHenry needs to get parts of his body right in order to play consistent AFL footy. Methinks he may still be seeing time in the SANFL this year.
As I said before, our shitty fitness boss has ruined him. Don't be expecting McHenry to play a lot of games this year.

I think there's a strong likelyhood that Hass becomes the next whipping boy on the Adelaide board. He's totally out of his depth, much like the guy who hired him was.

Saw Nicks mention McHenry needs to get parts of his body right in order to play consistent AFL footy. Methinks he may still be seeing time in the SANFL this year.

He did have a back issue that forced him to miss most of last season. Would suck, seeing the boy looks a go-er, but I get wanting to be cautious.

As I said before, our shitty fitness boss has ruined him. Don't be expecting McHenry to play a lot of games this year.

I think there's a strong likelyhood that Hass becomes the next whipping boy on the Adelaide board. He's totally out of his depth, much like the guy who hired him was.
He had a car accident, that isn't Hass

Remove this Banner Ad

Back