Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

This might sound like heresy but is pace more important than stamina for an outside player? Mightn’t a massively high endurance player find space more often than a crazy fast player with less endurance?
With faster pace, you're more likely to burn off your opponents in the earlier quarters.
With better endurance, you're more likely to burn off your opponents in the latter quarters.
There are other attributes that are equally as important - evasiveness and ability for quick give and high disposal efficiency.

Everything needs to be taken as a whole. Judging a person on speed alone is just not understanding sport. Otherwise, with speed being the only key, we'd be hiring Usain Bolt and all the athletes who can run 100 metres in under 10 seconds! :)

Loving the path we are going down with these picks. Compliments our current list beautifully. Big things on the horizon people. Just need another ruckman and ill be stoked. Go you Crows.

Over the last week, I spent most of my down time at work watching highlights on the draft machine, and obvious top picks aside, he was one of the two players I was desperate to see the AFC draft (the other was Jye Caldwell, but let's not talk about that). Love the aggression and the repeat efforts. Here's hoping for a long career in Adelaide.

Excitement machine Ned McHenry has a bit of Hayden Ballantyne about him
NOVEMBER 22, 2018Adelaide could have a new cult figure. Ned McHenry is such a bundle of excitement and enthusiasm that list manager Justin Reid says Crows fans will quickly fall in love with him.

Adelaide could have a new cult figure. Ned McHenry is such a bundle of excitement and enthusiasm that list manager Justin Reid says Crows fans will quickly fall in love with him.

“He’ll bring some real character to the club,’’ Reid said.

“He’s a great personality and will bring some real energy to the changerooms. His teammates and staff around the football club are going to love having him around the place.’’

McHenry, 18 and a tough, competitive small forward/midfielder from Victorian TAC Cup side Geelong Falcons, is such a bundle of energy that he has been compared to Fremantle small forward Hayden Ballantyne.

He has a great sense of humour and work ethic.

“I’m not the biggest guy yet (178cm, 71kg) but I try to be aggressive in the contest and once I put on a bit more size that will advance a bit,’’ McHenry said after being at pick 16 by Adelaide.

0c0da18914eb3b9fd0709bff4b87822c

Ned McHenry of the Crows. Picture: Adam Trafford/Getty Images
“I like to play with great intensity and I’m pretty consistent with my training in that regard.

“I try to train those good habits so then it comes naturally and translates into my game.’’

While McHenry has some Ballantyne traits he models his style on Crows star vice-captain Rory Sloane.

“It’s always tough to model your game on one person but I do love the way Rory Sloane goes about it,’’ he said.

“I love the way he tackles and his intent around the contest, so I look forward to meeting him.

“I’ll just go up to him and say, ‘hi, Sloaney’’.

Renowned for pounding the pavement in his spare time in Forrest Gump fashion, McHenry said he expects to start his AFL career as a small forward before transitioning into the midfield.

He is not afraid to take the game on and he tested well at the AFL Draft Combine for speed and endurance.

Left field thought.

Given the success of players we've drafted from the Falcons eg Danger, Doedee. I wonder if kids feel happier coming here knowing there is good development and so a good chance at a career.

Can imagine coaches there saying - don't complain, you'll do well by going there.

Edit - also when you hear those interviews you appreciate the value of a guy like Sloane to your club. All the kids know him, talk about him, want to be like him. Lot of off field value that Rory brings
Bloody good post Pete

We’ve actually some of the best tacklers in the comp now

B Crouch
Greenwood
Sloane
Jones
McHenry

There’s some guys capable of laying double figure tackle counts in a game

Knight, and McAdams could be a shot too, however being near permanent forwards would do some serious damage to those aspirations.

Gallucci had some high digit tackle games in the SANFL as well (including 14 one game), so could be another smokey here seeing he's getting a fair bit bigger/and it's looking like more midfield time. Matt Crouch is another by virtue of position will manage a few double digit tackle games (seeing he's had one 10 tackle game and a few 8-9 ones). Gibbs as well tends to hit big tackle numbers as well and tends to get in one or two double figure tackle games a year in.

It's definitely something we seem to have quietly prioritised in the past few years.

Knight, and McAdams could be a shot too, however being near permanent forwards would do some serious damage to those aspirations.

Gallucci had some high digit tackle games in the SANFL as well (including 14 one game), so could be another smokey here seeing he's getting a fair bit bigger/and it's looking like more midfield time. Matt Crouch is another by virtue of position will manage a few double digit tackle games (seeing he's had one 10 tackle game and a few 8-9 ones). Gibbs as well tends to hit big tackle numbers as well and tends to get in one or two double figure tackle games a year in.

It's definitely something we seem to have quietly prioritised in the past few years.
Remember those years when we were clearly the worst

Ps forward line tackling is prob the most important of all , so up there they are almost worth 2

Most of our best tacklers are mids or forwards which will suit that territory then lock it in game plan that Pyke favours

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember those years when we were clearly the worst

Ps forward line tackling is prob the most important of all , so up there they are almost worth 2

Most of our best tacklers are mids or forwards which will suit that territory then lock it in game plan that Pyke favours
Bob Murphy said that as a half back flanker, getting one tackle is like taking down a wild antelope.

And that midfielder tackles should be renamed “fall on top of”s

Excitement machine Ned McHenry has a bit of Hayden Ballantyne about him
NOVEMBER 22, 2018Adelaide could have a new cult figure. Ned McHenry is such a bundle of excitement and enthusiasm that list manager Justin Reid says Crows fans will quickly fall in love with him.

Adelaide could have a new cult figure. Ned McHenry is such a bundle of excitement and enthusiasm that list manager Justin Reid says Crows fans will quickly fall in love with him.

“He’ll bring some real character to the club,’’ Reid said.

“He’s a great personality and will bring some real energy to the changerooms. His teammates and staff around the football club are going to love having him around the place.’’

McHenry, 18 and a tough, competitive small forward/midfielder from Victorian TAC Cup side Geelong Falcons, is such a bundle of energy that he has been compared to Fremantle small forward Hayden Ballantyne.

He has a great sense of humour and work ethic.

“I’m not the biggest guy yet (178cm, 71kg) but I try to be aggressive in the contest and once I put on a bit more size that will advance a bit,’’ McHenry said after being at pick 16 by Adelaide.

0c0da18914eb3b9fd0709bff4b87822c

Ned McHenry of the Crows. Picture: Adam Trafford/Getty Images
“I like to play with great intensity and I’m pretty consistent with my training in that regard.

“I try to train those good habits so then it comes naturally and translates into my game.’’

While McHenry has some Ballantyne traits he models his style on Crows star vice-captain Rory Sloane.

“It’s always tough to model your game on one person but I do love the way Rory Sloane goes about it,’’ he said.

“I love the way he tackles and his intent around the contest, so I look forward to meeting him.

“I’ll just go up to him and say, ‘hi, Sloaney’’.

Renowned for pounding the pavement in his spare time in Forrest Gump fashion, McHenry said he expects to start his AFL career as a small forward before transitioning into the midfield.

He is not afraid to take the game on and he tested well at the AFL Draft Combine for speed and endurance.

Soon as we drafted him I watched his highlights and tweeted that he reminded me of Hayden Ballantyne. Guess I wasn’t the only one who saw the similarities. Love this pick.

Ogilvie policy = competitors = tackling I guess

Left field thought.

Given the success of players we've drafted from the Falcons eg Danger, Doedee. I wonder if kids feel happier coming here knowing there is good development and so a good chance at a career.

Can imagine coaches there saying - don't complain, you'll do well by going there.

Edit - also when you hear those interviews you appreciate the value of a guy like Sloane to your club. All the kids know him, talk about him, want to be like him. Lot of off field value that Rory brings
We shouldn’t discount Bunji and Modra. Those 2 should be our number 1 & 2 ambassadors.

Kids are too young to have the same appreciation we have of these guys

It’s like having Lindsay Head greet us and we be like ‘ who’s he ?!’

Kids these days have even less appreciation of the past

Naturally, they're not relevant anymore. Well McLeod is a touch seeing he only retired 8 years ago.

Equally, a kid is going to be much more excited to meet someone he grew up watching then a crusty old legend of the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back