Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

For some context that is on pace for a 9:05 3,000m and the qualifying standard to make the national U18 3,000m is 9:10, and in this years South Australian U18 champs, the winning time was 9:12. So he is definitely a state top 3 level middle distance runner
You can't just extrapolate a time for 2km and multiply it by 1.5 to get what they would run at 3km. That's not how running works. Otherwise Usain Bolt would be on pace for a 4:47 when he ran his 100m and 200m world records.

You can't just extrapolate a time for 2km and multiply it by 1.5 to get what they would run at 3km. That's not how running works. Otherwise Usain Bolt would be on pace for a 4:47 when he ran his 100m and 200m world records.
As a junior state champion level middle distance track runner I know the difference between a 100m runner and 2000m one.

So your pace for a 2km run is exactly the same as your pace for 3km?
No but there are not that many who run fast 2k who are not fast 3k runners. So it is giving a good indicator. At 3min/km for 2km you'd put him down for no worse that 9:15/9:20 for 3,000m which is still damn good for someone with a footy player's build. Plus the fact he goes for 30km runs, suggests he is not going to falter much

He's infectiously fun, from watching that Geelong Falcons training video thing

Will be a cult figure

Old painty-can Ned
Stupid sexy Flanders

Geelong Falcons star Ned McHenry a surprise selection to Adelaide
NOVEMBER 22, 2018

The 18-year-old small forward standing 176cm proved in the TAC Cup and in representative duties for Vic Country that he was built for the modern game, and is set to help replenish the Crows stocks of fleet-footed goalkickers.

McHenry, who spent a year boarding at Geelong Grammar's Timbertop three hours away in year 9, told the Geelong Advertiser this week that he was prepared to move interstate.

I think if I go interstate, I'd actually look forward to it, he said.

I've kind of moved around a little bit in my life, coming from the country to Geelong, so I feel like I'm really lucky having a lot of different friendship groups around the place.

I have no worries moving interstate I've been like that from the beginning and don't think that's changed at all.

AFL draft expert Kevin Sheehan said McHenry's infectious nature would make him an asset at any club.

When you're in a footy group 35 hours a week, you need guys that have that sparkle and personality to glue a group together and he's got all of that, he said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To complete this, the Crows need to keep tabs on a guy from the Gippsland Power.

His name.
Sam Flanders.
any guys with the surname diddley coming through anywhere?

I see what you did there

bo.jpg

My version of how Ned saw his first day with the Crows yesterday :)

Dear diary,

I was a bit nervous before the start of my first day at the Crows.

It started at the airport back in Melbourne, when a weird looking guy called Scam Manure or something like that asked me if I was an AFC draftee. When I said yes, he patted my shoulder, shook his head, and muttered something about poor little farker and camp. Strange, because I'm not. He was with some guy who obviously had a sweet tooth because he was called Choco. I don't know why but he said to me "do you know what happened in the movie Deliverance son??" I said no and he replied "you will soon".

My mum told me that the next day this Manure man had written a big article in a newspaper saying that he had it on indisputable authority that I was terrified that the induction program I was heading to would be run by a witch-doctor prancing and chanting, eating heads off of live chickens and casting mystical spells over me. Strange, when all I said to him was that I was really looking forward to being at the Crows.

I was greeted at the airport by a guy called Smarty. I guess that was a sort of piss-take nick-name, because he certainly wasn't. On the way to the club he told me that he had walked on hot coals. I asked him if it burnt his feet and he said yes. Sheesh!! Smart he is not!!

We got to the club and he told me that my Induction program would involve meeting various key people in the club - except for Phil Harper. Apparently he hid when Trigg was given the flick, and while there were traces that said he was still there, nobody had actually seen Phil since then. No worries said "Smarty" as nobody knew what he did anyway.

I said perhaps we could start with the Football Director, because that is such an important position. Smarty nearly pissed himself laughing, and said sure son - why not!! He took me over to the souvenir shop and asked where the Bird-man was located under his re-allocated duties. Out the back was their answer, he kept fking it up with the customers so we've got him wrapping parcels now. He was delighted to see me coz for some odd reason he did my Guernsey presentation.(I found out later that was the most nearly correct thing he did for the whole year) He shook my hand and said welcome Luko. Smarty quickly intervened and said that's not Luko, we didn't get him Birdy. I quickly introduced myself but he kept forgetting and calling me Luko - very embarrassing.

Smarty then took me to Justin Reid's office and said to me - I'll leave you here with Justin - and disappeared. Perhaps he went to get some treatment on his burnt feet. Justin Reid looked at me a little startled and said - do I know you? I said that I hoped so as you drafted me. I felt a bit flat when he said "ah yes, you're the one we entered the wrong number for - fk it!!" He went on with a bit of a waffle about the club and the importance of the CEO. I then asked why I hadn't met the CEO. No point said Reid, he's not a footy man and doesn't really like getting involved in it.

My head was starting to spin.

Just then, one of the assistant coaches who I met in Melbourne rescued me. It was Campo, who told me he was really special because he didn't have a portfolio, so he couldn't fk up this year. He was advisory coach or something like that. Just for a joke I said whats your advice Campo. He said "my advice is lets go out and have a big feed at Maccas for lunch - a bit of weight on the lads worked wonders at the start of last year"

I think I'm going to really like this club after all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back