List Mgmt. Welcome Pick 28 - Luke Partington

Remove this Banner Ad

On the Eagles website there's an interview with the Eagles recruiting manager, and one of the highlights they showed for Partington has him doing an awesome sidestep around a player and slotting a goal from near the boundary.
How does it rate compared with Sheed's #sidestep ?

Who is his sponsor on this board?

One interesting thing I noticed in those videos is that he looks really loathe to bounce the footy, which strikes me as a bit strange for a midfielder (even an inside one). He did bounce it once (in the Vic game) and it looked really awkward.

Another interesting thing i noticed is that he's good at "arching the back" to evade would-be tacklers (in a Cousins or Wanganeen style of movement).

I love Parto as a person an his family. He is a ripper

Has some real potential to develop into a really solid player for us, Knightmare is 100% spot on the money with the slow down to execute his foot skills and to an extent that is the same with his bouncing (as mentioned by poster above) his skills have improved a hell of a lot in the past three years and I expect more of that while being in an AFL system.

I liked him in the mid 20s and that's where we got him at.

Welcome to the club Luke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've mentioned it before that i like Partington and while their game styles aren't the same he reminds me a lot of a young butler. In that he has to slow down to make his kicks and to take the right decisions. The question is does it improve so it's all fluid with great skills (We end up with a much better player than the pick that he cost) or does it mean at AFL level he becomes more of the current version of butler where he gets the ball and slows down play.

I've mentioned it before that i like Partington and while their game styles aren't the same he reminds me a lot of a young butler. In that he has to slow down to make his kicks and to take the right decisions. The question is does it improve so it's all fluid with great skills (We end up with a much better player than the pick that he cost) or does it mean at AFL level he becomes more of the current version of butler where he gets the ball and slows down play.
Yes that's exactly what we should be teaching defenders, don't slow down and find the best choice outlet, just bang it out of the hot zone as quickly as possible. What could possibly go wrong?

We should be so lucky that Partington and Cole become as reliable as Butler with his 82.6% disposal efficiency and 3+ 1%ers per game this year.

Yes that's exactly what we should be teaching defenders, don't slow down and find the best choice outlet, just bang it out of the hot zone as quickly as possible. What could possibly go wrong?

We should be so lucky that Partington and Cole become as reliable as Butler with his 82.6% disposal efficiency and 3+ 1%ers per game this year.

I'm suggesting that if it all becomes fluid and he can make the right decision and execute skills without slowing down we will have a very good midfielder. If his development means slowing down and playing within himself then i think we have a future small defender. Nowhere did i say i was unhappy with the pick.

I'm suggesting that if it all becomes fluid and he can make the right decision and execute skills without slowing down we will have a very good midfielder. If his development means slowing down and playing within himself then i think we have a future small defender. Nowhere did i say i was unhappy with the pick.
C'mon you were having a crack at Butler because he "slows down play". I am merely suggesting slowing down play is often a good thing for a defender to do if it is the difference between delivering the ball out of the danger zone effectively or risking a turnover. If the transition out of the back half can happen immediately then great but often the receiving players need a little bit of time to find space.

The only reason why Butler wasnt ever a midfielder is that his body was absolutely crippled by injuries. Prior to his groin issues he was playing midfield and looking great.

His kicking worries are being overstated. A popular pre draft Luke Shuey opinion was that he needed to work on his kicking. Also was tagged through the championships.

His kicking worries are being overstated. A popular pre draft Luke Shuey opinion was that he needed to work on his kicking. Also was tagged through the championships.

By Tom Cole as well funny enough

tagging is not allowed in the under 18's championship. Its the same thing with zones and presses.

Even though I still think Ryan Clarke is the better player, still pretty excited to have him on board, he looks a lot better in the official highlights video from the AFL. Don't have too many players with his pace that can play inside and also kick goals, I reckon that he can play a decent number of games next year.

The comparisons to Jack Steven is spot on. Plays exactly like him

I don't see any ridiculous pace, nor do I see the Shuey comparisons.

Someone said Butler, and I concur with this

Remove this Banner Ad

Back