Player Watch Will Hamill

Remove this Banner Ad

But is it specifically our needs? Or have we looked at what are the needs of the modern/future game in general and crafted our draft board accordingly?
Apparently so , it’s what we’ve defined as needs

It’s just so targeted that there is a really ‘ needs’ feel to these picks . Maybe Pyke having more influence ?

Weren't too many Stingrays that knocked up big disposal numbers in the TAC Cup this year, a very, very team orientated game plan. Their leading disposal getter for the season inside midfielder Campbell Hustwaite only averaged 20. That old adage applied with the Stingrays Premiership over the ridiculous individual talent of the Chargers this year " A good team will beat a team of champions"
That does make sense, the Stingrays system worked brilliantly this year, very well coached. Maybe Hamill gets more disposals in an environment where he can shine more? You’d think so, as his endurance is there, he runs out games well

No surprise that Haggis was considering Hamill at 21, he knew that he’d slide a little though which allowed us to pull off the shrewd move with GWS

Apparently so , it’s what we’ve defined as needs

It’s just so targeted that there is a really ‘ needs’ feel to these picks . Maybe Pyke having more influence ?

Not sure I see that. I believe that Jones was best available. McHenry was also rated around that pick, which was 16 on the night. We will never know, but you can’t say he wasn’t best available either. Hamill and Scholl sound like Hamish specials too. Not sure we can say that these players weren’t genuinely in this order based on talent, rather than list needs. Plus it’s useless Pyke getting involved at these picks as they will be 2 years away from the first 22.

Not sure I see that. I believe that Jones was best available. McHenry was also rated around that pick, which was 16 on the night. We will never know, but you can’t say he wasn’t best available either. Hamill and Scholl sound like Hamish specials too. Not sure we can say that these players weren’t genuinely in this order based on talent, rather than list needs. Plus it’s useless Pyke getting involved at these picks as they will be 2 years away from the first 22.
Not short guys they generally come to hand quickly . I can see Jones nailing a spot with his versatility and even Ned being a chance

2 high pressure players and 2 outside mids / half backs

Pretty huge coincidence

Not short guys they generally come to hand quickly . I can see Jones nailing a spot with his versatility and even Ned being a chance

2 high pressure players and 2 outside mids / half backs

Pretty huge coincidence

I meant two years for Hamill and Scholl. I don’t think anybody can say Jones or McHenry weren’t best available. They were well and truly there about at those picks.

Jones and McHenry have great endurance which puts them in the mix for next year for sure.

Everyones talking about his speed and kicking but watch the draft tape again and just look at his decision making. He is lightning quick making the right decision, usually by foot. He looks up and within half a second hes nailing his target.

Im big on this kid. Didnt even know his name 12 hours ago.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very quick, very good kick but also very light
According to this board there were 4 elite and multiple other SA guns. That seems to have changed. Hmmm, I wonder why.
Some of us really rated Hately, but he is similar to what we have. Valente too.

We have added pace and skill to our list, what's not to like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dare I say plays a similar role to Pittard? Hopefully without the terrible brain fades.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
I reckon he’s not as close to defence goal as Pittard.
Maybe more a Mackay replacement. Can’t play anywhere but taller and left foot.

Hamill’s got that real upside look about him and 2 important AFL traits speed and kicking
QUOTE: Adammania9's
Pick 26, West Coast [from Gold Coast]

Will Hamill | General Defender/Outside Midfielder 185cm/70kg
VIC Country | Dandenong Stingrays
Profile: Prolific intercept defender who provides run and efficient ball use also.

Rationale: I’m all about Hamill and I reckon he has insane upside. I reckon there’s a need for a mid-sized intercept defender at West Coast who can also find space and provide heaps of rebound out of defensive 50. His skill and composure can be described as graceful and they’re traits that the Eagles built a premiership upon. Hamill is a great fit at West Coast who have Hurn and Sheppard approaching the twilight of their careers.

Will Hamill (DANDENONG STINGRAYS)
Hamill could well be a steal here. Could be groomed as another Bob Murphy type. He is a smooth mover who uses the ball really well & makes good decisions. He also looks like he is on the same diet as Murphy as he is very skinny & will take time to put on some size.

Will Hamill

OVERVIEW

Will Hamill has been a regular in the Dandenong line-up for two years, despite his light frame he played 20 games last year which is an impressive effort. Hamill got to represent Vic Country playing in his favoured role down back and despite not getting a lot of the ball still had some eye-catching moments. Hamill was a player known to most draft watchers and recruiters going into the start of the year but his form early especially with ball in hand was not as good as expected but Hamill worked through the early jitters to start playing some good footy especially late in the year where he arguably played his best games. His finals performances were impressive being named second and fourth best in the preliminary and grand final with his grand final performance holding the most weight especially for the hard edge he had shown early in the game. Hamill had an up and down year, but his mix of attributes and finals form has him firmly in draft calculations.

STRENGTHS
  • Skills
  • Clean Hands
  • Versatility
  • Acceleration
  • Agility
  • Endurance
Hamill is silky by hand and his trusty left boot can cut teams apart. His kicking especially with short passes are usually penetrating and find the target more often than not, he favours the short option a lot of the time which would help his efficiency numbers. By hand he is incredibly clean and it is very rare that he will miss a target by hand, and very rarely fumbles the ball. His strong hands are also valuable in marking contests where he is also a good judge overhead and willing to go back with the flight. He has taken many courageous marks above his head including some playing for Vic Country.

Hamill mostly plays down back but he can go forward and even through the midfield. As a forward he uses his decent leap to prove a difficult matchup overhead and his clean ball handling also makes him dangerous when the ball hits the deck. He is also a willing tackler not afraid to put his body on the line so he could easily fill a forward role if needed. As a midfielder he lacks the size to be an effective contested player but when he is able to win his own contested ball he will often use good composure and his clean hands to release the footy. Hamill has electric speed and a good leap which would lend him well to playing at either end of the ground. He showed off his acceleration at the National Draft Combine, recording 2.914-second 20m sprint, a 8.222-second agility test and a 21.4 Yo-yo test. The latter showed the athletic play maker also has a large tank which helps him run out games and play in multiple positions where required.

IMPROVEMENTS
  • Production
  • Size
Hamill has only averaged around 15 touches a game which is fairly low compared to most running defenders in the AFL, you could say quality outweighs the quantity but it is still an area to improve and this is a factor no mater what position he has played thought-out the year.

Hamill is still very lightly framed at 185cm and 70kg he would need to add some size before he can impact at the next level with the hope that it would not effect his athleticism which is a major part of his game. At 185cm he may be required to play on the taller players at the next level and although he has a good leap he would not definitely need to add some weight to his light frame to able to compete one on one.

SUMMARY

Hamill has a lot of upside despite the relatively low production but with the amount of impact he can have with his low numbers and his impressive finals series he has done enough to suggest he should find a place on an AFL list come November. He has the tools that recruiters like with his upside, athleticism and overall skill amongst the best in this year draft. If he can improve his production levels and develop an AFL ready body he could be a real surprise packet at AFL level able to play so many roles but hopefully as a dangerous rebounding half-back.

So, is he a midfielder, running defender, or medium stopping defender?

This seems to be completely unclear!

What do we want him to be?
Running defender/Wing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back