Player Watch Will Hamill

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone see a bit of Nathan Wilson, but with a short game rather than a long one. His highlights are so impressive. He seems to have an ability to very quickly make a decision in congestion and then execute with a kick that completely opens up the opposition. The speed of his decision making and then the results of that quick decision are really exceptional.

What I love about this kid, and I admit it is a highlights package, but his disposal efficiency is 100% which includes few reflexes kicks under pressure.
Something that can't be taught

What I love about this kid, and I admit it is a highlights package, but his disposal efficiency is 100% which includes few reflexes kicks under pressure.
There's a lot to like about Hamill ......free to run, he's very classy ...want to see how he operates under real pressure

Will Hamill (DANDENONG STINGRAYS)
Hamill could well be a steal here. Could be groomed as another Bob Murphy type. He is a smooth mover who uses the ball really well & makes good decisions. He also looks like he is on the same diet as Murphy as he is very skinny & will take time to put on some size.

Will Hamill

OVERVIEW

Will Hamill has been a regular in the Dandenong line-up for two years, despite his light frame he played 20 games last year which is an impressive effort. Hamill got to represent Vic Country playing in his favoured role down back and despite not getting a lot of the ball still had some eye-catching moments. Hamill was a player known to most draft watchers and recruiters going into the start of the year but his form early especially with ball in hand was not as good as expected but Hamill worked through the early jitters to start playing some good footy especially late in the year where he arguably played his best games. His finals performances were impressive being named second and fourth best in the preliminary and grand final with his grand final performance holding the most weight especially for the hard edge he had shown early in the game. Hamill had an up and down year, but his mix of attributes and finals form has him firmly in draft calculations.

STRENGTHS
  • Skills
  • Clean Hands
  • Versatility
  • Acceleration
  • Agility
  • Endurance
Hamill is silky by hand and his trusty left boot can cut teams apart. His kicking especially with short passes are usually penetrating and find the target more often than not, he favours the short option a lot of the time which would help his efficiency numbers. By hand he is incredibly clean and it is very rare that he will miss a target by hand, and very rarely fumbles the ball. His strong hands are also valuable in marking contests where he is also a good judge overhead and willing to go back with the flight. He has taken many courageous marks above his head including some playing for Vic Country.

Hamill mostly plays down back but he can go forward and even through the midfield. As a forward he uses his decent leap to prove a difficult matchup overhead and his clean ball handling also makes him dangerous when the ball hits the deck. He is also a willing tackler not afraid to put his body on the line so he could easily fill a forward role if needed. As a midfielder he lacks the size to be an effective contested player but when he is able to win his own contested ball he will often use good composure and his clean hands to release the footy. Hamill has electric speed and a good leap which would lend him well to playing at either end of the ground. He showed off his acceleration at the National Draft Combine, recording 2.914-second 20m sprint, a 8.222-second agility test and a 21.4 Yo-yo test. The latter showed the athletic play maker also has a large tank which helps him run out games and play in multiple positions where required.

IMPROVEMENTS
  • Production
  • Size
Hamill has only averaged around 15 touches a game which is fairly low compared to most running defenders in the AFL, you could say quality outweighs the quantity but it is still an area to improve and this is a factor no mater what position he has played thought-out the year.

Hamill is still very lightly framed at 185cm and 70kg he would need to add some size before he can impact at the next level with the hope that it would not effect his athleticism which is a major part of his game. At 185cm he may be required to play on the taller players at the next level and although he has a good leap he would not definitely need to add some weight to his light frame to able to compete one on one.

SUMMARY

Hamill has a lot of upside despite the relatively low production but with the amount of impact he can have with his low numbers and his impressive finals series he has done enough to suggest he should find a place on an AFL list come November. He has the tools that recruiters like with his upside, athleticism and overall skill amongst the best in this year draft. If he can improve his production levels and develop an AFL ready body he could be a real surprise packet at AFL level able to play so many roles but hopefully as a dangerous rebounding half-back.
This was my write up on him, I was certain demons would take him with the Sparrow pick which I had him linked to on my board for over a month.

I have heard a few comparison on here already and Kade Simpson’s is a good one. He is very clean with the ball and never fumbles and his overhead work is also very good, his aggression got better as the year went on and it showed in the TAC finals where he really shined. I’ve liked him for a few years now and I’m keen to see how your club uses him because he is so versatile and I believe has some untapped potential as a midfielder.

This was my write up on him, I was certain demons would take him with the Sparrow pick which I had him linked to on my board for over a month.

I have heard a few comparison on here already and Kade Simpson’s is a good one. He is very clean with the ball and never fumbles and his overhead work is also very good, his aggression got better as the year went on and it showed in the TAC finals where he really shined. I’ve liked him for a few years now and I’m keen to see how your club uses him because he is so versatile and I believe has some untapped potential as a midfielder.
He appears to have some strong attributes as you've outlined .....so what of the negatives on Hamill, that had him taken at #30 ......and probably rated by a lot of Draft experts in the 35 - 45 bracket?

He appears to have some strong attributes as you've outlined .....so what of the negatives on Hamill, that had him taken at #30 ......and probably rated by a lot of Draft experts in the 35 - 45 bracket?
Production is the main one, if he got 20+ a game he probabaly gets taken at Geelongs pick instead of Clark although Hamill is more defensive minded and maybe that has had an impact on his numbers.

Production is the main one, if he got 20+ a game he probabaly gets taken at Geelongs pick instead of Clark although Hamill is more defensive minded and maybe that has had an impact on his numbers.
So was that more a case of his role in the team, or how he currently plays his footy ......he looks quite attacking minded in tapes, so it's interesting you believing he has a strong defensive approach to his footy ?

Where do you think he plays in the AFL ....wing or HBF ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So was that more a case of his role in the team, or how he currently plays his footy ......he looks quite attacking minded in tapes, so it's interesting you believing he has a strong defensive approach to his footy ?

Where do you think he plays in the AFL ....wing or HBF ?
Yep very good defensively, personally I think he is most damaging at HB but I’d like to see him play multiple roles and especially midfield once he adds some more size to his frame. Didn’t get much midfield time for Dandenong but when he did I thought he looked very good with his clean hands and composure at stoppages.

Yep very good defensively, personally I think he is most damaging at HB but I’d like to see him play multiple roles and especially midfield once he adds some more size to his frame. Didn’t get much midfield time for Dandenong but when he did I thought he looked very good with his clean hands and composure at stoppages.
Thanks for your feedback & views leading up to the Draft :thumbsu:

Wasn't there another Will Hamill that played less than a handful of games some years back?

Excited about this one. Looking forward to see how he develops.

Out of all the drafts we’ve participated in this feels like we looked at needs more closely and decided needs were forward half pressure and outside kicking skill and run

Very interesting draft for us
Really sounds like we are going to persist with our game style of 2017. Attempting to replace Cameron and Gov forward pressure. Hope we see it this year when our oldies are still capable.

Could be a really good player, looks an outstanding athlete with a good kick and overhead mark. What’s not to like?

Good post :thumbsu:
The kid is an outstanding athlete. He was a former state and national champion for his age groups in Long and Triple Jump and regularly made state and national sprint finals. Has a complete disregard for his own safety in contests and will back into a pack or run back with the flight of the ball without a second thought. Can take a great overhead mark and his kicking on both sides would be regarded as elite.
His family spent a couple of years over in Canada, he's only been back in Australia a couple of years so effectively had 2 years out of footy.
A lovely well mannered kid, quiet and respectful that other kids naturally look up to. The type of kid that doesn't say much but when he does, people listen.
Great family as well.

Good post :thumbsu:
The kid is an outstanding athlete. He was a former state and national champion for his age groups in Long and Triple Jump and regularly made state and national sprint finals. Has a complete disregard for his own safety in contests and will back into a pack or run back with the flight of the ball without a second thought. Can take a great overhead mark and his kicking on both sides would be regarded as elite.
His family spent a couple of years over in Canada, he's only been back in Australia a couple of years so effectively had 2 years out of footy.
A lovely well mannered kid, quiet and respectful that other kids naturally look up to. The type of kid that doesn't say much but when he does, people listen.
Great family as well.
Probably my favourite pick of the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back