Player Watch Will Hamill

Remove this Banner Ad

He's still very...very.. soft and for a bloke with an elite leg he sure turned it over a lot this season.

Atkins is about as soft as the regular outside only player (and lets be real here, the stock standard outside player is soft as *). Equally, as counter intuitive as it sounds, it's expected that an elite kick turns it over a lot. After all, you're expected to continuously take risks to break a zonal defence which means going for more difficult kicks/less room for error kicks.

An elite kick with a high disposal efficiency/no turnovers is indicative that he is playing it safe, and safe is not good as an outside player.

Atkins is about as soft as the regular outside only player (and lets be real here, the stock standard outside player is soft as ****). Equally, as counter intuitive as it sounds, it's expected that an elite kick turns it over a lot. After all, you're expected to continuously take risks to break a zonal defence which means going for more difficult kicks/less room for error kicks.

An elite kick with a high disposal efficiency/no turnovers is indicative that he is playing it safe, and safe is not good as an outside player.

Can't argue with you there mate.

I've seen this lad play live, he has no problems going for contested ball, none at all. Once he gets in the weights room and puts on some muscle that side of his game won't be any concern. He has the potential and the tools to play back, forward or midfield [outside midfield/wing at this point]. People here do realise he played for the Dandenong Stingrays who play a very, very team orientated game style, in fact their leading possession getter for the season was midfielder Campbell Hustwate who only averaged 20.8 compared to Hamill's 14.7. Also worth remembering the TAC is 25 minute quarters with no time on.

Thanks for insight like this, Bicks - I bloody love it :thumbsu:

I’m super keen to watch Hamill develop over the next couple of years. Maybe he’ll be an option to replace Doedee when the Dude moves into the midfield. :sunglasses:

Atkins is about as soft as the regular outside only player (and lets be real here, the stock standard outside player is soft as ****). Equally, as counter intuitive as it sounds, it's expected that an elite kick turns it over a lot. After all, you're expected to continuously take risks to break a zonal defence which means going for more difficult kicks/less room for error kicks.

Great point. Same can be said about Milera with some of his kicks and also being caught holding the ball.

He continues to take the game on because that's what the coaches are asking for. They ask him to do it because he's better than most.

If the above theory is true, Jasper Pittard must be the greatest outside player ever, either caught holding the ball or turning it over, no safe options for young Jasper, 100% risk, 0% payoff.

Unfortunately for Pittard, more often or not there needs to be a payoff. Having a high turnover % and FA's from being tackled are both very forgivable things for an outside midfielder if that payoff is occurring. After all, the way you break a zonal defence is from fast, and aggressive ball movement (also running at it providing you have space can absolutely ruin a defensive set up), and that movement is driven by the outside positions (wing, and half back). If, however, you're having disposal/decision making problems, outside midfield is the single worse position to be in seeing it'll really exacerbate them as really, that's why you're in the side. It'd be the equivalent of an inside midfielder not being able to win a clearance, a small forward who is unable to tackle or a key forward who couldn't kick a goal. Makes them utterly useless.

The way he plays is actually right, but there is a reason he's was given away for free, and not celebrated as one of the better outside midfielders. After all, attempting the right things doesn't mean s**t if you can't execute the right things.

Inb4 It's a joke dude

Last edited:

WOW, Atkin's got a high disposal efficiency so you burn him saying he is playing it safe, but if he had a lower efficiency you would burn him for his bad ball use. Talk about a no win situation.
I have no problems with his ball use or what he does with the ball, it is more often by a long way of benefit to the team. His choices are generally good and some outstanding, he does sometimes get caught looking for the best option but that is improving. The more he does the better for our team.
That brings me to the one thing I do have an issue with, he goes missing. 2017 he averaged 21.4 disposals 2018 20.2, and he had 5 27+ games in 2018 so he has had some shockers that he needs to eliminate. He needs to bring that average up. If he can get that count up to 23-24 and not drop below 20 a game for 2019 we will have a good year, he can be very damaging.

WOW, Atkin's got a high disposal efficiency so you burn him saying he is playing it safe, but if he had a lower efficiency you would burn him for his bad ball use. Talk about a no win situation.
I have no problems with his ball use or what he does with the ball, it is more often by a long way of benefit to the team. His choices are generally good and some outstanding, he does sometimes get caught looking for the best option but that is improving. The more he does the better for our team.
That brings me to the one thing I do have an issue with, he goes missing. 2017 he averaged 21.4 disposals 2018 20.2, and he had 5 27+ games in 2018 so he has had some shockers that he needs to eliminate. He needs to bring that average up. If he can get that count up to 23-24 and not drop below 20 a game for 2019 we will have a good year, he can be very damaging.

I've never burned Atkins for bad ball use, unless it's truly shocking (i.e. missing very safe options when he does go for it). I truly don't care about Atkins turning it over/getting caught providing he is taking risks, and it's working out more often or not because that's his job. Now, if his strike rate of pulling that off was genuinely poor (i.e. the Pittard example), then I would, but that's more to do with having a player who isn't capable of playing at the level required for us to be successful. For reference I'm much more critical of outside midfielders who don't take much risks (i.e. Mackay).

I think I've mentioned before how much I dislike the disposal efficiency stat, because it's very easy to misinterpret as what it is showing doesn't match up with what it should be conceptually showing.

We're pretty much on the same page though with improvement that I'd like to see in Atkins. Find a way to impact in games where he is struggling, or at least, time your poor games when someone else is going off, as the occasional one would be unavoidable for someone in Atkins situation). The other thing I would like to see Atkins do is get on the scoreboard more. Find a way to be a goal a game outside midfielder. Does that, and gets to 23-24 disposals and he'd be knocking down the door for an AA selection, I feel.

Unfortunately for Pittard, more often or not there needs to be a payoff. Having a high turnover % and FA's from being tackled are both very forgivable things for an outside midfielder if that payoff is occurring. After all, the way you break a zonal defence is from fast, and aggressive ball movement (also running at it providing you have space can absolutely ruin a defensive set up), and that movement is driven by the outside positions (wing, and half back). If, however, you're having disposal/decision making problems, outside midfield is the single worse position to be in seeing it'll really exacerbate them as really, that's why you're in the side. It'd be the equivalent of an inside midfielder not being able to win a clearance, a small forward who is unable to tackle or a key forward who couldn't kick a goal. Makes them utterly useless.

The way he plays is actually right, but there is a reason he's was given away for free, and not celebrated as one of the better outside midfielders. After all, attempting the right things doesn't mean s**t if you can't execute the right things.e
"Zonal"?
Is that even a word or am I getting way too old

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never seen Will Hamill play in a live game but watched his highlights again and I'm a little puzzled where he actually played most of his football.

From the vision Will was in the centre square at times but then he kicked out and also seemed to roam a lot in defence, later on he kicked a goal.
Anyone who saw him play, what was Will's primary role?
On repeat watching I do love his pace, willingness to run the lines and his kicking. Looks an accomplished player, will quicken up the team when he gets a regular game.
I have just read all the posts (should have done than first I guess) and this kid is the definition of a utility.
I'm still not sure where the Crows have plans to play him but he has loads of potential.

Never seen Will Hamill play in a live game but watched his highlights again and I'm a little puzzled where he actually played most of his football.

From the vision Will was in the centre square at times but then he kicked out and also seemed to roam a lot in defence, later on he kicked a goal.
Anyone who saw him play, what was Will's primary role?
On repeat watching I do love his pace, willingness to run the lines and his kicking. Looks an accomplished player, will quicken up the team when he gets a regular game.
I have just read all the posts (should have done than first I guess) and this kid is the definition of a utility.
I'm still not sure where the Crows have plans to play him but he has loads of potential.
Played mostly the running/rebounding back/defender the times I saw him play live, I think eventually once he bulks up he'll be suited to outside mid/wing with his speed and outstanding foot skills.....also a very good overhead mark for his height.

Played mostly the running/rebounding back/defender the times I saw him play live, I think eventually once he bulks up he'll be suited to outside mid/wing with his speed and outstanding foot skills.....also a very good overhead mark for his height.

I see a lot of Isaac Smith in him, given his strengths and even just the way he moves and kicks the football. So agreed, think he will be a replacement for Seed over the next few years.

I know I'm jumping the gun as Hamill hasn't even had a pre-season under his belt but we seem fairly loaded in the running half back and wing department.
I'm wondering if we might be use him in the rotation as a goal kicking type midfielder. Lyons is the best example I can think of that played that type of role for us in a limited capacity.
We do need more pace in the rotation and Will's run and kicking ability would be an asset.
B Smith is often mentioned as an option of moving into the midfield but I'm not certain that will ever happen. Perhaps Hamill could be groomed for that role instead.
All speculation but he looks handy from the highlights.
I do see the Issac Smith comparison.

I suspect he will become the second coming of our Tom Lynch

I suspect he will become the second coming of our Tom Lynch

I'm not against it. Super quick player with apparently good disposal being a forward/wing hybrid, of course providing the defensive pressure, and overhead skills are there. Could certainly be a dangerous point of difference for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back