Player Watch Will Hamill

Remove this Banner Ad

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hamill is most definitely not a back pocket defender. He's a running back/winger who I would think we would have plans to eventually play an outside midfield role similar to Rory Atkins.

Pete Williams draft summary on Will is exactly what I've seen when watching Hamill play live over here for the Dandenong Stingrays.

Will Hamill – General Defender/Midfielder

Unlike the other two, Hamill is more of a long-term player, though he has that prototype size to fill into something special. At 188cm or thereabouts, Hamill has the height, and the smooth-moving ability to glide around the field and break down opposition zones. Like Jones, Hamill runs a sub-three second 20m sprint, and rarely makes a mistake by hand or foot. He needs to find more of the football, but will always be a player that might average 17 touches a game, of which 13 of them cause serious headaches for the opposition. Can play off half-back or through the middle, Hamill is still very light and will need type to bulk up, but when he does, expect him to do some nice things.

Fair enough. I’ve seen him play live twice and he has come across as the quintessential back pocket.

However, I’m more than happy to accept someone else’s perspective, especially someone far more qualified than I am or ever will be.

Squiba

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Snip

I would think we would have plans to eventually play an outside midfield role similar to Rory Atkins.

Snip.

If Hamill gets anywhere near the accumulation level that Atkins can often have, he will be an absolutely elite wingman. I see him accumulating more like a Smith/Dmac/Seed type numbers wise, with games from 15-25 touches the usual range.

Everything else you mention/quote there, I agree with though.

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Didn't mean to start a shitfight about Poholke and I'm not trolling.
I'm on the Mornington Peninsula and have seen Poholke, Hamill, Davies-Uniacke, Weitering, Whitfield and Hunter Clark play up close.
Poholke by far the best of the lot, LDU not far behind.
I've coached footy for a long time and aware that the rate of development in juniors is staggered but Poholke was absolutely dominant when he played. It's hard to believe he's not even being given a game when injuries occur and seems to be a complete waste of a pick for a kid that had to pack up and go interstate.

Last edited:
Didn't mean to start a s**tfight about Poholke and I'm not trolling.
I'm on the Mornington Peninsula and have seen Poholke, Hamill, Davies-Uniacke, Wittering, Whitfield and Hunter Clark play up close.
I've coached footy for a long time and aware that the rate of development in juniors is staggered but Poholke was absolutely dominant when he played. It's hard to believe he's not even being given a game when injuries occur and seems to be a complete waste of a pick for a kid that had to pack up and go interstate.

We're going all out in search of 8th place and a first round finals exit. Development of the kids can wait for another year while we get games into Richard Douglas.

Jul 17, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Didn't mean to start a s**tfight about Poholke and I'm not trolling.
I'm on the Mornington Peninsula and have seen Poholke, Hamill, Davies-Uniacke, Weitering, Whitfield and Hunter Clark play up close.

There’s a growing thought (from pretty much all of us for pretty much forever) that some of these young blokes getting an AFL opportunity might be best served at least getting some game time in their preferred position instead of being dropped after a match because they couldn’t dominate on the HFF graveyard.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
162044875_10159453361368919_3548939543344760404_o.jpg

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Was happy with Will's game despite the low disposal numbers. He has very good natural defensive instincts and now has the size to go with it. Also retained his pace which is great. Hopefully he starts putting together some more two-way games but happy for him to concentrate on his defensive efforts at this stage especially with Kelly and Brown out for a bit.

Oct 6, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Was happy with Will's game despite the low disposal numbers. He has very good natural defensive instincts and now has the size to go with it. Also retained his pace which is great. Hopefully he starts putting together some more two-way games but happy for him to concentrate on his defensive efforts at this stage especially with Kelly and Brown out for a bit.
One of the few players I’ve seen who runs just as fast chasing an opposition player as he does the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the first performance where Will impacted defensively and offensively at an AFL level, which is a very good step to take.

He'll become a damn fine half-back flanker if he can kick on, and he's well-poised too.

Last edited:

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
We should just ask the AFL to move our first round picks to somewhere between pick 21 and 30 every year.

Does make you wonder what would have happened if we just traded our first rounder for a handful in the 2nd-3rd rounds every year for the past 10 years. We'd probably have won a flag :p Certainly would have been a better investment of those picks than Bryce Gibbs.

40porpoise

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Didn’t realise how quick he actually is. I’d almost back him to chase down Charlie Cameron.

Agree with others he’s improving every week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back