List Mgmt. Welcome pick 31 - Brady Hough

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a natural footballer, enjoys the rough stuff, good speed and disposal and excellent tank for a first year player.

I admit I was a little sceptical when we first drafted him, but the fact he showed such rapid improvement in his draft year, and this year for that matter, goes to show he’s got a huge ceiling.

The comparisons get made to Yeo/Fyfe given his tall, slim frame with a fair bit of potential to turn into a big fella. I'm curious to see exactly how they see this kid projecting.

My favourite things about him are his speed and agility - not sure he is as animalistic as a Yeo to turn into the same sort of midfielder, or perhaps we just haven't seen it yet because he's so skinny.

I personally seem him as a bit more of a wingman than an inside mid but he develops some inside nous he could be a pretty handy mid with some great attributes. Getting that balance right with his physical development will be important (i.e don't make him too thicc if he's best suited to a wing).

The comparisons get made to Yeo/Fyfe given his tall, slim frame with a fair bit of potential to turn into a big fella. I'm curious to see exactly how they see this kid projecting.

My favourite things about him are his speed and agility - not sure he is as animalistic as a Yeo to turn into the same sort of midfielder, or perhaps we just haven't seen it yet because he's so skinny.

I personally seem him as a bit more of a wingman than an inside mid but he develops some inside nous he could be a pretty handy mid with some great attributes. Getting that balance right with his physical development will be important (i.e don't make him too thicc if he's best suited to a wing).
Interesting player - looks a skinny kid but shows strength when tackling. Looks to have a good core and his height at his weight masks a strong body.

Will be a great player for us. He doesn't have the length and penetration of Yeo's kicking but what he does have is a much higher footy IQ at the same age. I'm not sure he goes inside full time. More Wing but with another two seasons he has the sort of smarts to play that David Mundy type balanced midfielder.

I think what's most exciting is the way he's stepped up quickly to every level he's played at. Last year was his first at Colts level, and he made the state team. Then played well at WAFL level against men, and is now taking that up again in the AFL. It's seriously impressive for someone who was playing country footy a couple of years ago - feels like he's just scratching the surface of his development.

Also, rewatching the game this arvo, there's a passage late on in the game where he gets it on a flank and takes time to think his way through traffic, and hits a target after a couple of neat sidesteps. It struck me that quite a few of our other players would likely have just hacked it around the corner - bodes well that he's able to show that kind of composure, particularly late in games when he would've been pretty fatigued.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeo does seem a natural comparison. Athletic, mid-sized defender (or tall-ish for a mid). His kicking doesn't have the length of Yeo's, but I think he is more creative with his kicks.

It won't be a shame at all if he sticks to HBF/Wing. And I hope like hell that we draft and trade with the thought that he is a HBF (because if we draft or trade thinking he is a 'maybe inside mid' then we could end up with a surplus if he isn't, plus play him out of position for years).

If he does transition to the midfield, great, but I'm just enjoying his work off half back and the wing as it is at the moment!

Yeo does seem a natural comparison. Athletic, mid-sized defender (or tall-ish for a mid). His kicking doesn't have the length of Yeo's, but I think he is more creative with his kicks.

It won't be a shame at all if he sticks to HBF/Wing. And I hope like hell that we draft and trade with the thought that he is a HBF (because if we draft or trade thinking he is a 'maybe inside mid' then we could end up with a surplus if he isn't, plus play him out of position for years).

If he does transition to the midfield, great, but I'm just enjoying his work off half back and the wing as it is at the moment!
Yep play them where they’re best suited rather than trying to turn them into something else. Anus to defensive wing, etc.

Hough (and Bazzo) both look like natural footballers. And very good pickups for their draft positions. They have footy smarts and you can't teach that to those that don't have them.

You can however unteach footy smarts to those who start out with them. Hope WC don't go down that particular route.

Hough (and Bazzo) both look like natural footballers. And very good pickups for their draft positions. They have footy smarts and you can't teach that to those that don't have them.

You can however unteach footy smarts to those who start out with them. Hope WC don't go down that particular route.
A prime example of someone with no footy smarts is Petch

And Rotham is someone who had some footy smarts and has now lost them or had them coached out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He's had a good run this year but is an easy delist decision. Wasn't taken top 5 so he'll never be A+

No superstar potential is what people are saying.

Contract extension discussions commencing.

View attachment 1439385

Paywalled, sorry no detail to add.
West Coast are moving quickly to lock in exciting first-year talent Brady Hough beyond his initial draft contract.
The West Australian understands the 19-year-old is set to be offered a two-year contract extension as early as this week, which will keep him at the club until at least the end of 2025.

Taken with pick 31 in last year’s national draft in a remarkable rise from country footy a year earlier, the Peel Thunder and Harvey-Brunswick-Leschenault product has been the most impressive of the Eagles’ 2021 draft crop and is seen as an important part of their rebuild.

He’s already featured nine times at AFL level after making his debut in the opening round against Gold Coast at Optus Stadium, averaging 13 disposals, 223 metres gained and five marks.

Hough, who has been likened to Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury, moved from half-back to the wing last month and looks assured with ball in hand and cool under pressure.

He was among West Coast’s best the past couple of matches, repaying the faith of coach Adam Simpson.
In Sunday’s loss to reigning premiers Richmond at the MCG, Hough amassed 20 disposals at a remarkable efficiency of 95 per cent to go with 10 marks.
If he signs on, the athletic 189cm utility will join fellow 2021 draftee Campbell Chesser in putting pen to paper.
First-round pick Chesser extended his stay at West Coast for a further two seasons in May, despite suffering a season-ending foot injury during a pre-season hit-out against Fremantle.

Hough, an Eagles supporter growing up, has spoken glowingly about his time at the club so far.
“I’ve loved it since I’ve got here since day one,” Hough said after his career-best 23-possession, 11-mark performance against the Western Bulldogs in round 11.

“Obviously it was a dream come true to get drafted. Every day I walk in and some days I still can’t believe it. Loving each day.”
Simpson said earlier in the season that he would “love” to keep Hough in the side for “most of the year”, a decision that’s already paying off.

Good news on Hough.

On the extension topic, have we ever had a draftee that we haven't extended early? Getting drafted at WCE basically gets you a 3-4 year contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back