List Mgmt. Welcome Pick 36 - Tom Cole

Remove this Banner Ad

Good first game from Cole. Took a little while to settle the nerves and play himself into the game but disposed of it well, followed up by pushing onto the wings and getting the ball back.

Small sample size but I like what I see. Also appears to free up Wellingham to play mid and half forward, which could be important.

Good first game from Cole. Took a little while to settle the nerves and play himself into the game but disposed of it well, followed up by pushing onto the wings and getting the ball back.

Small sample size but I like what I see. Also appears to free up Wellingham to play mid and half forward, which could be important.

As we're getting two mids back next week I can only suppose Wellingham will be relegated to the backline again.

For an 18 year old he's looked good at WAFL level. He hasn't dominated but he has been clean and shown a willingness to take the game on. For the most part he's looked a class above the others

AFL is a big step up in intensity so anyone expecting him to come in and get 20+ disposals and tear the Suns apart is going to be disappointed. More likely he'll get around 15 disposals with a couple of clangers amongst that but he'll contribute and hopefully do one or two things that give a glimpse of what he might become

Solid but not spectacular should be what you see

Called it

As we're getting two mids back next week I can only suppose Wellingham will be relegated to the backline again.

Agreed (Yeo will be touch and go) but it was a great opportunity to try some new things and see how they go. We continue to develop versatility which really will serve us well if we are unfortunate later on and get injuries. Simmo has a plan!

Simmo summed it up well. We're always in a development phase and with one eye on the future. Least he has more of a brain than the purple packs coach.

Anyway well done to Cole. Worked into the game after some shaky moments. He hadn't played footy in two weeks so you expect a 19 year old kid to be a bit rusty. Will add to our list of developing kids.

Like him. Bar that couple of fumbles, he defended well, tackled well, and looked sure in his disposal.

Looks like he believes he belongs at this level, which is always important of any 1st year player. Might not see him again for a little while, but it's good to see him be the 1st debutant this year for us. May it be the first of many, Tom!

Although a few of his kicks missed the target I liked his kicking style. Mostly nerves I think. Worked into the game well, I like what I see so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since you fools claim I said it I may as well say it. Cole is Slow Cole is Slow Cole is Slow Cole is Slow Cole is Slow Cole is Slow Cole is Slow Cole is Slow Cole is Slow Cole is Slow Cole is Slow Cole is Slow and plays like sh*t! Suck it dumb asses
Calm down, mate.

It’s time to move Tom to the midfield. We can’t fall into the usual mid-season Simmo trap of becoming stagnant with on-field changes.

Move Cole and Rioli into some centre bounces and see what energy they bring.

Cole has fantastic evasion and acceleration and a neat kick. Also goes in hard. I don’t know what his endurance is like, but he can possibly play a similar role to Masto.

Cmon Simpson

I’m still ejaculating to that contest where he hit it with pace and evaded through and finally hit up a target on the wing.

Kid is a special talent and I agre about midfield/wing potential.

The sad reality is that he won’t be able to do that unless Nelson comes in for Jetta.

It’s time to move Tom to the midfield. We can’t fall into the usual mid-season Simmo trap of becoming stagnant with on-field changes.

Move Cole and Rioli into some centre bounces and see what energy they bring.

Cole has fantastic evasion and acceleration and a neat kick. Also goes in hard. I don’t know what his endurance is like, but he can possibly play a similar role to Masto.

Cmon Simpson
Have been saying this for the last two seasons, I've always thought that he looked his best at WAFL level when he plays higher up the ground and bringing the ball into the forward 50. I think he'd be brilliant on the wing but with the ability to play inside and win the contested ball as well. I don't think he's necessarily wasted in the backline but I think he could end up on an Embley type level if he gets some time in the middle.
He had good endurance in his younger days (think he did pretty well in the beep test) and he was getting fairly high possession counts in the U18's.
I guess what I'm really trying to say is that if we move him into the midfield we won't have to worry about arguing who is better out of Judd,Cousins and Kerr because Cole will eclipse them all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back