Player Watch Pick #55 (2021) - Hugh Jackson

Remove this Banner Ad

Early negative call on an 18yo that hasnt played a game yet.
Dont quite get why you would even post something like this?
I gave you a "Thumbs up" for this post. See, the rubbish post you responded is the sort of negative nonsense worth actually having a go at!

Interesting 🤔……… I was just watching a YouTube video from May ‘21 ….. featuring the projected 2021 draft. Projected at pick#9 ……. Hugh Jackson …… maybe we got a bargain ???View attachment 1298907
I think the kid can play. Question is whether he’s just a Brad Symes or Sam Colquhoun type.

Last edited:

I think the kid can play. Question is whether he’s just a Brad Sykes or Sam Colquhoun type.
Agree jury is out , but I think the kid has a much more damaging kick, hence has the capacity to be a bit more offensively dynamic then those two. In the end those 2 became big stat gathering seagulls of a halfback who disposals didn't really hurt.

Agree jury is out , but I think the kid has a much more damaging kick, hence has the capacity to be a bit more offensively dynamic then those two. In the end those 2 became big stat gathering seagulls of a halfback who disposals didn't really hurt.
What I really liked in Hugh’s highlights, was his work at the stoppages …… reading the play ….. that’s what caught my eye along with his disposal.

Simply wasn't expecting to see him at all until later in the year based on comments re his injury when we drafted him.

Have we stolen one here?

He looked very good today. First game back from surgery, clean hands, composed decision making and he ran hard for long distances to create an option.

He actually did alright yesterday- in a team where no one could do anything he managed 15 touches and a goal. He had pretty significant hip surgery and is slowly coming back. He’s still a bit small against adults imo- he looks 15. I think he’s a project who will reap rewards in 4-5 years.

Wanted to see this guy succeed but jeez he looks like he’s got his work cut out to get another contract
To be fair the hip injury is a massive injury. Always on it and always in use, no reprieve to allow to recoup. Let’s see him after a bit Pre-Season next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair the hip injury is a massive injury. Always on it and always in use, no reprieve to allow to recoup. Let’s see him after a bit Pre-Season next year.
Yep, a small 18 year old playing seniors for the first time on no pre-season. There are mitigating factors, and he deserves a chance to get fit for next year.

Hugh had that insidious injury which has taken time to recover from so he needs a good run at things including a good uninterrupted preseason. He’s just turned 19 and his junior program had some “draft experts“ putting him in the top 15 players in his draft - before he was injured he was a very impressive mover who just attracted the ball and has beautiful skills. He’s not a midget - he’s 6 foot tall in the old scale similar in size to Boaky and Robbie, and he will fill out a fair bit. I think we might be surprised next season by Hugh Jackson.

17 touches and 2 goals from Jackson this week. Hasn't been up to SANFL standard this season, but this week was way above any prior performance.

After commenting along the lines of Myles Bergman looking like some pale under nourished kid who been pulled from the Managatang magoos to make up the numbers for the Maggies against centrals about 6 weeks ago, and performing accordingly I'm holding my fire on Jacko. :rolleyes:

Will be interesting to see if he is shifted to the rookie list in off season. There's a lot of spunk in the kid, and he is a good size, just needs to beef up, get fitter and start finding the ball at SANFL level, because until last week he's looked totally lost at the level. Hopefully these last few games he can get a bit of a roll going.

Will be interesting to see if he is shifted to the rookie list in off season. There's a lot of spunk in the kid, and he is a good size, just needs to beef up, get fitter and start finding the ball at SANFL level, because until last week he's looked totally lost at the level. Hopefully these last few games he can get a bit of a roll going.
I don’t believe he can be moved to the rookie list next year considering he got a 2 year regular list contract upon being drafted. Maybe at the end of next year though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back