Player Watch Pick #56 (2021) - Dante Visentini

Remove this Banner Ad

From one of the Dragon's articles. Pretty high praise from a footy coache who has developed many good players that have gone on to the AFL. ....

One of his first quarters was the best that Austerberry has ever seen in junior footy. Dante kicked four goals and gave three off and did not play the rest of the match as his workloads were managed. “He came up to me at quarter time and said ‘Jay, you’ve got to put me on’ and I couldn’t, school wouldn’t let me and he said ‘I don’t care, I want to play!’" Austerberry said.

“He was kicking it from outside the 40 metre line. He took contested marks, heavy marks. Could’ve kicked all 10 essentially. It’s the best quarter of junior footy I’ve seen anyone play. He was a generous footballer, not a selfish one and an out and out superstar."

C
oach Jay Austerberry on Dante....
“He was meticulous with looking after himself. Without him boasting that he wanted to get to the highest level, he actually showed that without having to tell you, through training standards, on-field, off-field, the professionalism, engagement when you’re chatting to him individually. You don’t get many kids that have got Dante’s status and are going to rock up on rainy Thursday night and be one of ten kids that puts his hand up and comes to training because he wants to be around his friends. In his world as a 16-year-old kid, if you were in that circle of footballers, you always knew who Dante was, but he never had that ego about him. When he had to train with us, he’d be there. He’d ride his bike there. First there, last to leave. Ultra-professional. Measured.”

Definitely passes our "No Dickhead" policy!
Looks like he’s the guy who will enforce the “no dickheads” policy.
I therefore submit the nickname “The Enforcer”.

One of the biggest issues we've had at Port over the last few years has been that while anybody that gets out of line can always be bashed by Jonas, its left the gaping hole in our list that when Jonas gets out of line he finds it difficult to effectively bash himself.

Now we finally have filled this gap. If Jonas shows up late to training he can get bashed by Visentini.

How do you reckon Brrrrrrrrrrrrrian will go with the pronunciation?
He’s probably going to chop the ni off at the end, and not pronounce the S as a Z. The amount of times I’ve heard vi-SEN-ti is far more than you’d expect.

I wasn't expecting Visentini to be anywhere near as agile as he is shown in that clip, that is elite agility for a bloke his size, and I where in the past I have tended to not get too excited with late draft picks I have a feeling this one could turn out to be a steal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone got any nickname suggestions?

I might be outing myself as an even bigger nerd than previously suspected here, but Dante is the chapter master of the Blood Angels chapter of Space Marines in Warhammer 40000, known for their bloodthirst, so i'm running with the Blood Angel.

Jesus those highlights! Multiple chasedown tackles in a highlights package for a big man, and absolutely oozing mongrel. Hope he can play because he's going to be an absolute beast. Good composure and looks like a good mark.

Just a small thing but I like how in the chasedown near the end of the highlights, he didn't follow through with the tackle almost as though he new the ball was going to spill and wanted to remain in the play. Smart bit of work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back