Player Watch Pick #56 (2021) - Dante Visentini

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
We’ve done ok in terms of filling positions this post-season, with the only exception of small, goal-kicking forward. It’s whether the people brought into those positions do any good now. Time will tell
I wonder if Jase Burgoyne can start his career as a small, goal kicking forward like his dad instead of fifteenth in line for a position on a half back flank?

JohnHinckleyJr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls Man Utd

Loved this bit...

“He competed not like a tall. He liked the contact, he liked to chase he liked to tackle, he liked to body up and that’s pretty rare for young talls,” he said. “They normally take the time to learn about their bodies.

“The preseason 2020 that we lost, he and Ollie Lord [drafted by Port Adelaide in 2020] were doing some bodywork, nearly to a point where I was telling them both to settle down.

:D
A bit of heaven and hell at Alberton Dante doing the Lord's work

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
More Mike Fitzpatrick than Will Minson.

yepits2020

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I just think he is a tall half back flanker who may find his way to play as a midfielder.

More seriously, welcome aboard Dante.

I think he is an interesting prospect. Looks like he can fill out nicely. Interesting that we have ruck coach. could come along quickly.

Would like to see him at SANFL or trial games before I make any judgements.

I know there is another preseason to come, and I know that they are still young, but Lord and Pisani look average at best. They have 2022 to show us they can make it as AFL players.

Having said that, a Hayes/Visentini combination looks very inviting with Georgi and hopefully Marshall looks like a forward line of talls for 8 years.

Joshykins

Debutant
Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
anytime you read aggression in a ruckman its a massive positive. no need to have such size and weight advantage if your not going to use it

Big agree. Look at nank and big boy. Not necessarily hit out perfection, but absolutely carrying the team with their mongrel and commitment to the play

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
it's a sign

Screenshot_2021-11-27-22-23-42-447.jpeg

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Don't mind the look of this lad the fact he seems to be good m8s with Josh is a bonus .
Looks like he is quite agile for such a big lad might still grow abit aswell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Rams
So we draft him and he looks powerful, then we find out he is a little princess but has a hard outer shell like a chestnut. We try to let him cook and develop him but its impossible so he commits the 7 deadly sins and murders a bunch of people on the field.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
So we draft him and he looks powerful, then we find out he is a little princess but has a hard outer shell like a chestnut. We try to let him cook and develop him but its impossible so he commits the 7 deadly sins and murders a bunch of people on the field.
You read far too much into that.

I just saw it bookended by Dante and Sin(n)

The big man got a write up in today's paper thanks to the kind words from fellow Sandi Dragon draftee Sinn.

Could this kid be the real headline act at Port?

Josh Sinn might be the headline act of Port Adelaide’s draft haul but he says Power fans should be very excited about fellow draftee Dante Visentini — labelling his recent development as “scary”. The two Sandringham Dragons prospects arrived in Adelaide from Melbourne on Sunday after the Power selected them in last week’s draft — Sinn with pick 12 after a trade with the West Coast Eagles and Visentini at pick 56.

Providing they return negative Covid-19 tests after arriving in South Australia they can be at Alberton on Monday when Port Adelaide’s first to fourth year players return for pre-season training.

Sinn has played with Visentini for years in junior footy in Melbourne. He said he was excited to see how the big man would improve in an AFL system. “I’ve been playing junior football with Dante since I was 10 or 11-years-old so I know Dante very well,” he said on Grandstand SA.

“What you are going to get from Dante is 100 per cent effort, 100 per cent of the time.“He is someone who also wears his heart on his sleeve and I think his aerial work is also something that has really impressed me over the past couple of years as he has developed.

“The scary thing is that talls do take a like bit of time to develop and with all the missing of games and training in Victoria and for him to develop so rapidly it is actually quite scary to see where he will head to. “With AFL resources around him he is going to be an awesome player for the Power.”

Sinn and Visentini will share a house together this week upon arriving for Adelaide before Sinn likely moves in with reigning Brownlow medallist Ollie Wines until Christmas.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Also knows Ollie Lord ...I think

Yes, as was stated in an article posted earlier, those two had to be told to 'ease up' a bit with their competitive drills against one another. Miles Bergman may know him too, possibly, unless he left for Port before Dante started - they're all from the Sandringham Dragons.

As long as he doesn't follow the nine circles of hell:

1. Limbo - you don't know what you're going to get from him.

2. Lust - starting to see traits that will develop into an AFL player.

3. Gluttony - just want to see him rack up more possessions and dominate on the field.

4. Greed - wouldn't it be awesome if he could dominate in two positions?

5. Anger - why isn't Kern playing him when he's dominating the SANFL every week?

6. Heresy - he should be playing in front of more established senior players who are out of form.

7. Violence - if Kern doesn't pick Visentini, we riot.

8. Fraud - Kern gives him a few games to please the masses.

9. Treachery - Visentini gets traded to another club for a pick upgrade on our first rounder.

As long as he doesn't follow the nine circles of hell:

1. Limbo - you don't know what you're going to get from him.

2. Lust - starting to see traits that will develop into an AFL player.

3. Gluttony - just want to see him rack up more possessions and dominate on the field.

4. Greed - wouldn't it be awesome if he could dominate in two positions?

5. Anger - why isn't Kern playing him when he's dominating the SANFL every week?

6. Heresy - he should be playing in front of more established senior players who are out of form.

7. Violence - if Kern doesn't pick Visentini, we riot.

8. Fraud - Kern gives him a few games to please the masses.

9. Treachery - Visentini gets traded to another club for a pick upgrade on our first rounder.
Just like Frampton and Ladhams he's become my favourite player before even debuting, so this is almost inevitable.

Eighteenseventy

Senior List
Jan 6, 2015
ADELAIDE
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Sea Eagles, 49'rs Tassie Tigers
Dantes Inferno, tells the story of Dante being guided through hell by Virgil.

Above the gates of hell is the inscription "abandon all hope ye who enters here" the symbolism cant be ignored, nobody at Port called Virgil is there?

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Josh Sinn loves him (see REH post above), and reckons he is "scary" good. He is still quite skinny, so I am sure they will have him on a weight-gaining program over the preseason.Will be fun watching his progress over the next few years. Our recruiters have done real well in picking these sleeper rucks over the last few years, in Ladhams, Hayes, and now hopefully Dante. The only miss was Frampton, who is yet still one of my favourites!

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Josh Sinn loves him (see REH post above), and reckons he is "scary" good. He is still quite skinny, so I am sure they will have him on a weight-gaining program over the preseason.Will be fun watching his progress over the next few years. Our recruiters have done real well in picking these sleeper rucks over the last few years, in Ladhams, Hayes, and now hopefully Dante. The only miss was Frampton, who is yet still one of my favourites!
Not sure I would call Hayes a sleeper, he was regarded as the best ruck in his draft

How much influence did Brett Anderson have on us picking Dante??

This is the sort of pick that he used to write a lot about in the annual Inside Football's draft profiles he edited, before we gave him a recruiting job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back