List Mgmt. Welcome pick 57 - Jack Williams

Remove this Banner Ad

This whole supposed generation thing about the height of KPPs is a bit overblown IMO. The Kings being great talents isn’t some sort of proof that you suddenly have to be 2 metres to compete

Even then they don't do a great deal other than kick/mark.

They’re guns but they’re ultimately just two players

Yeah take nothing away from them - wasn't meant to sound like that. What I was getting at is that 7cm difference could mean you're better at ground level. I concur with you though, there's a huge love affair going on with the taller the player the better the KPF these days, realistically the King twins are probably an exception really.

It's not just the Kings. The coleman medalist this year and Daniher before them. There's a shift to it but I think we'll see a few guys that 195cm mark able to play KPP

It's not just the Kings. The coleman medalist this year and Daniher before them. There's a shift to it but I think we'll see a few guys that 195cm mark able to play KPP
As has always been the case, a good big player will beat a good small player. We are now seeing very tall players who have both the skill and athletic ability to be good players. Tough to defend against!

McKay is decent but he only gets so many bags because Carlton have no one else to kick to

Wouldn't he be doubled and tripled with defenders then?

McKay is a great young key forward.
Not sure it works like that really. I rate him but I’m not sure 58 goals in a year warrants suggesting you have to be 204 cm to be successful as a key forward these days.

I agree being ruckman height and agile makes you hard to match up against as a forward, but I don’t buy this idea that 195 cm forwards will be dominated by this new supposed crop of 200 cm full backs.

Not sure it works like that really. I rate him but I’m not sure 58 goals in a year warrants suggesting you have to be 204 cm to be successful as a key forward these days.

I agree being ruckman height and agile makes you hard to match up against as a forward, but I don’t buy this idea that 195 cm forwards will be dominated by this new supposed crop of 200 cm full backs.
Yeah it's more about having 2-3 elite qualities than specifically meeting a height or weight quota.

Jack Darling averages almost 2 goals per game at 191cm

Taylor Walker and Jack Reiwoldt are 193cm

Ben Brown is 200cm but not anywhere near as athletic as the Kings or McKay

Naughton is 195cm

All are difficult match ups for varying reasons.

There are definitely more 200cm+ players coming through with an athletic profile that would historically be matched only with shorter players, but elite key forwards will be a handful regardless of whether they are 193cm or 203cm

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah it's more about having 2-3 elite qualities than specifically meeting a height or weight quota.

Jack Darling averages almost 2 goals per game at 191cm

Taylor Walker and Jack Reiwoldt are 193cm

Ben Brown is 200cm but not anywhere near as athletic as the Kings or McKay

Naughton is 195cm

All are difficult match ups for varying reasons.

There are definitely more 200cm+ players coming through with an athletic profile that would historically be matched only with shorter players, but elite key forwards will be a handful regardless of whether they are 193cm or 203cm

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Listening to his pressers, he seems to state his athleticism and endurance as one of is strengths. Jack Darling was able to be a great undersized KPF cause he had a great endurance, straight line speed and strength to match bigger defenders. Williams has a few of those Darling like traits to play taller.

I hope he does well, but I just don't see it. He dominated through size pushing guys under the ball with his strength and tearing weaker opponents off him as a forward and is really a ruck.

Now when next generation Ruckmen are coming in at 202-210cm how is a guy with average, not an amazing leap going to stand up to those guys. No slight on the kid but he'll probably have a great state level career I just don't see a spot for him at AFL level.

Best of luck to him.

Um whats stopping him growing taller and getting bigger and stronger?

Isnt he a low ager?

Harry Edwards grew another 5cm after we drafted him, most kids do.

And they lose the puppy fat and put on muscle.

Um whats stopping him growing taller and getting bigger and stronger?

Isnt he a low ager?

Harry Edwards grew another 5cm after we drafted him, most kids do.

And they lose the puppy fat and put on muscle.

As far as I know he height tested at 194 in 2020 and 195 at the draft combine. I seriously doubt he grows more than another cm. Yes he is a low ager but all kids stop growing at different stages. My dad was 188cm on his 15th birthday and didn't grow another cm. I was 174cm when I joined the Navy at 17 and 180 when I finished category training. I'm now somewhere between 177-178 as i lost a couple of centimetres after badly damaging my back, neck and shoulders in an accident. Williams has been like a man playing against boys strength wise. He may lose the puppy fat, put on some more muscle and become one of those guys who is just really strong for their size. Like Darling or Lynch or Cunnington. He has a good, not great leap, isn't slow (isn't fast relative to AFL key defenders) but certainly isnt overly agile from what i've seen. Whether or not that is enough to carve out a career at AFL level we'll see and as he's now an eagles player I really hope he does.

But I stand by my pre-draft profile of him being a tweener at AFL level who will most likely carve out an amazing WAFL lever career but won't make it as a key forward at AFL level. I hope im proven wrong but in a draft that was considered weak on talls I didn't have him in my top 10 tall prospects in the draft and didn't want us to take him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Williams is obviously still growing. Listed as the same height as Bazzo, now clearly taller.
Saw him next to Barrass, he's looks bigger than him too.

He has a big soft body still, not a hardened body like an 18 year old Darling or Bailey Williams.

Williams is obviously still growing. Listed as the same height as Bazzo, now clearly taller.
Saw him next to Barrass, he's looks bigger than him too.

He has a big soft body still, not a hardened body like an 18 year old Darling or Bailey Williams.
thats his top half but his legs are absolute tree trunks. For KPP thats a huge tick and could be someone very hard to move off the ball drop when he plants them (aka like a Hawkins)

thats his top half but his legs are absolute tree trunks. For KPP thats a huge tick and could be someone very hard to move off the ball drop when he plants them (aka like a Hawkins)
Yeah he's got a couple of handy tools for a KF with the big legs and bucket hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back