Player Watch Lachlan Sholl

Remove this Banner Ad

https://outline.com/9UA87q

AFL draft: Calder Cannons Lachlan Sholl picked up by Adelaide
NOVEMBER 23, 2018
LACHLAN Sholl will complete the same journey 11 Calder Cannons have previously when he joins Adelaide.

The St Bernard's junior was selected by the Crows with pick no. 64 in Friday's AFL national draft, joining Brent Reilly, Richard Douglas and Jake Lever as players drafted from Melbourne's north west to Adelaide.

Daniel Talia, Eddie Betts, Rory Atkins, Reilly O'Brien and Douglas are the former Cannons currently on the Crows list.

I have never been to Adelaide before, Sholl said.

But I am just excited to get there and meet all the teammates and get to the club, get used to the facilities and get stuck into it.

It's been a dream of mine for a long time and to get the chance at Adelaide, I am absolutely stoked.

Sholl's consistency put him on the radar of Vic Metro selectors this year and a call-up to the Under-18 National Championships was the first time he truly believed an AFL career was possible.

Neat highlights package. Seems to have a good kick. I can't work out whether he's a lefty or righty though which is nice.

He looks to be favouring slightly more to his right, but when kicking towards the left, he kicks it more with his left. He seems to be a natural ambidextrous who can kick on either leg. Gonna be fun watching this guy play in the SANFL!

If he can bulk up and live up to his family genes, then might be a hidden gem!

He looks to be favouring slightly more to his right, but when kicking towards the left, he kicks it more with his left. He seems to be a natural ambidextrous who can kick on either leg. Gonna be fun watching this guy play in the SANFL!

If he can bulk up and live up to his family genes, then might be a hidden gem!
Scholl needs to learn what the term "contested ball" means

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scholl needs to learn what the term "contested ball" means
His highlights included a few intercepts which is a type of contested ball

I think he need to either be elite offensively (as good as Smith/Milera) or he needs to be able to negate a 4th ish best forward and then offer some rebound. Ideally both. Then he will be a very very helpful contributor.

His highlights included a few intercepts which is a type of contested ball

I think he need to either be elite offensively (as good as Smith/Milera) or he needs to be able to negate a 4th ish best forward and then offer some rebound. Ideally both. Then he will be a very very helpful contributor.
From what I’ve read and seen , his “trick” appears to be running

He’s long odds to make it IMO

Have you seen him play? If not that’s a big call/accusation.
Lachlan Sholl. 185 cm 77 kg . HBF / Utility . Calder Cannons.

Sholl is a player that has no elite qualities but was he does have is a high football IQ.
Has been played primarily on a HBF but I see him having some more positional scope as he develops physically and progresses his game further.
He is one of the better, genuine dual sided players in this cohort, both by hand and foot.
Reads the play well and makes good decisions under pressure.

Will be a great link man and distributor of the ball as he either moves the ball into the forward line or switches the play.

He is a footballers footballer first and foremost and is very poised in the heat of battle.
Combines both inside and outside play but is at his most damaging when he is on the fly distributing the ball to others further up the ground.

Was wanting to take a HBF at some stage in the draft and this is an opportune time to draft a thinking mans footballer at the latter end of the draft.
As I said earlier I think he will , in time offer some positional versatility to the team that drafts him.

He is the son of Brett Scholl who played at Carlton after having initially been recruited by North Melbourne.

I saw both Sholl and Fletcher yesterday. Neither showed enough to suggest they warrant a F/S bid at this stage

Have you seen him play? If not that’s a big call/accusation.
Pretty right on the times I've seen the Calder Cannons play live other than Sholl's kicking, [often the Cannon's designated kick in player ]which is his standout asset the games I saw him play live he never really stood out as anything special

Exceptional kicking skills also but to me he's a 50/50 chance at a long AFL career which for someone taken that late in the draft is about right, little risk, big reward.

Well running and his kick. Enough tools to make it if he can fix a current deficiency which is likely to be career ruining.

Pretty right on the times I've seen the Calder Cannons play live other than Sholl's kicking, [often the Cannon's designated kick in player ]which is his standout asset the games I saw him play live he never really stood out as anything special

Exceptional kicking skills also but to me he's a 50/50 chance at a long AFL career which for someone taken that late in the draft is about right, little risk, big reward.

So in your opinion Bicks, given who was left on the table, who would you have picked at 64 if you were in charge of calling out the names?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His kicking is bloody avg...so if that was a 'strength' i can see why he was delisted.
Also he may have been quick, but he never used it to his advantage.

Hendo loved the long, high kick to a contest when playing as a defender at the Crows

But boy could he kick accurately to those contests or outnumbers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back