Player Watch Lachlan Sholl

Remove this Banner Ad

People really believe that absolute tripe?

Lever was long gone by the time Taylor started up with his comments. He was gone the moment Melbourne offered 850k+ per year, as we were never coming close to that offer, and with that Lever got exactly what he wanted. Lever even was rumoured to have offered to stay if we paid him an equivalent amount, but we rightfully never touched that deal.

You are right though, he would have absolutely stayed if we offered our final offer as our initial. After all, that was what he was rumoured to be looking for initially. Thankfully that's another bullet dodged because what we was doing in 2017 was certainly not worth that, and his actual defensive ability was horrendous.
Nup

If you want to live in a fantasy world of "commentator I don't like said things that influenced a result I don't like", go for it. It's an unnecessary safety blanket to what was the most black and white player wanting to leave a club case we've ever had.

But come on, straight up that had no influence whatsoever. What did was us offering what was apparently an insulting offer to begin with, Lever being insulted by the apparently insulting offer and then another club swooping in offering the world to that player. The moment Melbourne put that contract to Lever (especially seeing it was rumoured to be substantially more then he was demanding from us), that was it, he was gone. From there it was just PR to try to dissipate some of the "anger" about a player just going for the money in which Taylor was involved in.

Had we offered a not insulting offer to Lever at the start of the season (say 600k which was worth more then Lever was producing at the end of the season), he stays and we put off all of this drama until Jake hits FA. A point where at the start of it, we would have had no hope of keeping him as we'd be rebuilding/restructuring at that point and just out of our window.

If you want to live in a fantasy world of "commentator I don't like said things that influenced a result I don't like", go for it. It's an unnecessary safety blanket to what was the most black and white player wanting to leave a club case we've ever had.

But come on, straight up that had no influence whatsoever. What did was us offering what was apparently an insulting offer to begin with, Lever being insulted by the apparently insulting offer and then another club swooping in offering the world to that player. The moment Melbourne put that contract to Lever (especially seeing it was rumoured to be substantially more then he was demanding from us), that was it, he was gone. From there it was just PR to try to dissipate some of the "anger" about a player just going for the money in which Taylor was involved in.

Had we offered a not insulting offer to Lever at the start of the season (say 600k which was worth more then Lever was producing at the end of the season), he stays and we put off all of this drama until Jake hits FA. A point where at the start of it, we would have had no hope of keeping him as we'd be rebuilding/restructuring at that point and just out of our window.
That might have carried weight until the "start a family" line was run up the flagpole by Leaver.....

People really believe that absolute tripe?

Lever was long gone by the time Taylor started up with his comments. He was gone the moment Melbourne offered 850k+ per year, as we were never coming close to that offer, and with that Lever got exactly what he wanted. Lever even was rumoured to have offered to stay if we paid him an equivalent amount, but we rightfully never touched that deal.

You are right though, he would have absolutely stayed if we offered our final offer as our initial. After all, that was what he was rumoured to be looking for initially. Thankfully that's another bullet dodged because what we was doing in 2017 was certainly not worth that, and his actual defensive ability was horrendous.
Not sure about that, he was being discussed as a possible all Australian squad selection that year from memory so can't have been too bad

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2018-12-04/sholl-follows-in-familys-footsteps

He’s a by-product of his father Brett who played 35 games for the Carlton Football Club in the early 1990s, including the 1993 Grand Final loss.

The likes of Chris Judd, Kade Simpson, Eddie Betts, Marc Murphy and Bryce Gibbs were some of Lachlan’s childhood heroes with posters of Blues idols adorning the footy-mad youngster’s bedroom wall.

Fast-forward 18 years, he is happy to point out he is now a ‘former’ Carlton supporter after landing in Adelaide via pick No.64 in November’s national draft.

One of the biggest thrills upon arrival to West Lakes was sharing a locker room with the likes of Betts and Gibbs, who were suddenly new teammates.

“It was crazy, being a Carlton fan all those boys that played for Carlton, you watch a lot of them growing up,” he said.

“Even the Adelaide players as I started getting older watching footy in general, going into the same locker room as all the players it was pretty surreal.

“It was unreal to be able to meet them all.”

Looks okay. It's a shame we didn't draft anyone who could have come in and had an impact this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks okay. It's a shame we didn't draft anyone who could have come in and had an impact this year.

That's not what drafting is at all about though.

If you want a reliable first-year impact, you trade. Get it from a draftee and you've either lucked out, or you've then got to be concerned that the ceiling is low.

That's not what drafting is at all about though.

If you want a reliable first-year impact, you trade. Get it from a draftee and you've either lucked out, or you've then got to be concerned that the ceiling is low.

Don’t know about that. Port, between Rozee Butters and Duursma seemed to have lucked out then

Those 3 are all doing a job and contributing

Don’t know about that. Port, between Rozee Butters and Duursma seemed to have lucked out then

Those 3 are all doing a job and contributing

So far, yes. 3 of the 5 that are making a genuine impact out of ~ 80 people drafted.

After the first pre-season trial against the Pear Kids I jumped on the Sholl and Butts train. The key factor was their ability to use the ball under pressure. McPherson is also pretty reliable with ball in hand. Contrast this with Hartigan, Kelly and Talia. The reluctance to offer Keath a long term contract may be related to our plans for Butts (with Doedee returning next year).

I also like Hamill but he will need a huge pre-season to challenge for a game early next year.

I mentioned some time ago that the depth and quality of our KIDS is as good as I can remember for a very, very long time. But what would I know, an AFL media expert says they have the worst KIDS in the AFL (despite not seeing most of them play).

After the first pre-season trial against the Pear Kids I jumped on the Sholl and Butts train. The key factor was their ability to use the ball under pressure. McPherson is also pretty reliable with ball in hand. Contrast this with Hartigan, Kelly and Talia. The reluctance to offer Keath a long term contract may be related to our plans for Butts (with Doedee returning next year).

I also like Hamill but he will need a huge pre-season to challenge for a game early next year.

I mentioned some time ago that the depth and quality of our KIDS is as good as I can remember for a very, very long time. But what would I know, an AFL media expert says they have the worst KIDS in the AFL (despite not seeing most of them play).
Butts and Hamill are more year 3 prospects for mine. A full season in SANFL next year hopefully starting to dominate games and become regulars in the AFL year after.
Quality recruiting!
Sadly Galluci looking like he’s been poorly developed this year is the last draft failure (if you discount McPherson who may still make it).

Butts and Hamill are more year 3 prospects for mine. A full season in SANFL next year hopefully starting to dominate games and become regulars in the AFL year after.
Quality recruiting!
Sadly Galluci looking like he’s been poorly developed this year is the last draft failure (if you discount McPherson who may still make it).
Gooch will be good

Quality recruiting!

Got dicked around by the coaches and their damn stupid "save our jobs" crusade. A shame as there were flashes indicating he was ready for a more prominent role (those midfield minutes against Brisbane, the couple of games where he was at a ridiculous amount of damage for low disposals).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back