Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s very smart as a forward , pencil him in there in his first year

Will tackle all day long and kick goals

I can see why we've selected him. Played well at a senior level, a natural footballer and great kid that also tested very well at the combine.

He appears to have a strong desire to succeed and a great work ethic.

There's a hell of a lot to like about Chayce, unless something goes awry you'd expect him to become an A grade player and a very, very unlikely bust (fingers crossed as there's never any guarantees).

As with any selection time will tell, but I can see why we selected him where we did, and am very happy with him becoming a Crow.

every year .... our first rounder looks like douglas... especially last year...

Posted this list in another thread.

Plenty of A-Grade mids from the last 2 decades around that size/frame he could take after aside from Douglas.

174cm - Crawford
175cm- Zorko
177cm - B. Harvey, Neale, Laird, Montagna
178cm - T. Edwards, West, Kerr
179cm - Cousins, Chapman, Power
180cm - S. Mitchell, M. Murphy, J. Steven, Z. Merrett, Zaharakis
181cm - McLeod, Wanganeen, Hannebery, K. Simpson
182cm - Ablett Jr, Sloane, T. Mitchell, Coniglio

Fact is most of us know next to nothing about Jones, but it is odd to hear limits already being placed on the level he can reach just because he isn't 6'4.

Last edited:
So GWS rated Hately in-front of Jones...….I thought most had picks 9-14 closed bunch together this year. And I remember reading an article where Hamish was talking about Sloane and not selecting him the first year in the lead up to this year draft, so this could be an insight into him rating Jones.
i didnt watch that and see them rating lately above Jones. All those discussions they showed were about them talking about who they rated of who they expected to be available, and they already said Jones would be gone.

Also note its edited to be specific discussions about the players they picked, not other options they would turn to should they be gone or others slide so they dont give away more insight than they need to.

Id say given they anticipated Jones going before Caldwell being 1 way he got to them, there's every chance if we picked Cladwell Jones may have been their 1st pick (so rated above Hately). At no stage did they mention Hately as in the frame for their 1st selection

Posted this list in another thread.

Plenty of A-Grade mids from the last 2 decades around that size/frame he could take after aside from Douglas.

174cm - Crawford
175cm- Zorko
177cm - B. Harvey, Neale, Laird, Montagna
178cm - T. Edwards, West, Kerr
179cm - Cousins, Chapman, Power
180cm - S. Mitchell, M. Murphy, J. Steven, Z. Merrett, Zaharakis
181cm - McLeod, Wanganeen, Hannebery, K. Simpson
182cm - Ablett Jr, Sloane, T. Mitchell, Coniglio

Fact is most of us know next to nothing about Jones, but it is odd to hear limits already being placed on the level he can reach just because he isn't 6'4.
Gee, if he makes his way onto that liat I'll be happy

Are there any videos of Jones' highlights other than the version the Crows posted soon after we drafted him? afl.com.au didn't even create a 'Tomorrow's Heroes' feature on him (that I can find) but they did one for Curtis Taylor who ending up going in the 40s :flushed:

You mean like Rory Sloane, Daniel Talia, Matt and Brad Crouch, Bryce Gibbs, Andy Otten, Richie Douglas, Tom Lynch, Hugh Greenwood etc etc?!
Jake Lever :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tasmanian senior football is a pretty low standard seen a few of the Auskick games at half time where they hit more targets.

May take Joes some time to get used to calling for a handball and it hitting him on the chest instead of being put 10 metres in front of him

This guy is close to AFL ready. He has a tank, is built solidly enough, is at the upper end of the age for a new recruit (he is about to turn 19). He is a well rounded footballer and has played in many big underage games. He will either play multiple games for us this year or at least contribute to the decent depth that we are building and needing. He is a part of the new quick, athletic and mobile squad Pyke is building.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back