Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
What are you guy talking about, Douglas for Jones or Jones for Douglas,
Last time I looked both Douglas and Jones were in our best 22 for the last JLT, with the only Player likely to push for that midfield/Forward group for rd 1 would be Greenwood and even then that 50/50 at best. Gallucci not ready,
So it leaves us with the question if Greenwood comes into the side who go out.

And that my friends is likely to be Knight, Murthy who played the Midfield High Forward role that Greenwood plays, Pyke is strong on structures, Note Douglas played the defensive Forward role. Did not spend a lot of time if any as a midfielder.

Jone will play the 1st game, Question will be can he keep the spot. Same as Douglas can he keep his spot.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
At U/18 level

I think we know if youre capable of winning an AFL clubs B and F you may have some serious skill about you
Jones played against men in Tassie.

Jones is a top 10 pick in an extremely strong draft. High draft picks over recent years have come in and made a strong impact in their first year.

He’s shown he is very quick, can tackle and apply defensive pressure. He did it last week against GWS. They aren’t attributes that you suddenly lose. He’s also shown decent skills and decision making so far.

Douglas was a B&F winner over 10 years ago. We aren’t talking about the same Douglas so it’s irrelevant. He’s not quick. He doesn’t apply defensive pressure. He’s at the end of his career. Thommo had a great career but stunk towards the end, it happens to most players, few very rarely go out on top.

But this whole discussion and the position you’ve taken shows you really don’t know what you want. You don’t think we are a chance this year. You don’t want to be competitive. You want to win premierships, so to then want to select a senior player at the end of his career ahead of a pick 9 you need to develop is a contradiction to what you’ve been posting for the last year.

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Your question about Dougy is warranted are we a strong chance at the flag, if so will he contribute more to the team than a 1st year player in Jones come GF, logic would say he will

If we want to develop Jones he will no doubt get an opportunity when injuries hit and we will get injuries throughout the year

Aren't you the one who bangs on about Jack Graham in a GF?

Lawrst

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Really want to see Jones play round 1, needs to get used to the level as soon as possible. Showed a lot in a short amount of time and his composure under pressure and in traffic really stood out. Plus his tackling, wow, he holds on for dear life.
Needs to refine this at AFL level, SANFL pace wont help in the same way.

Expecting him to come in round 5/6 (because of an injury or player out of form) and then trying to get up to speed when the rest of the competition has gotten all the cobwebs out?

No thanks, let him loose now for 3/4 games and rest him when he needs it.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Are we picking him solely for the lockdown forward role?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apparently we are.

What are you guy talking about, Douglas for Jones or Jones for Douglas,
Last time I looked both Douglas and Jones were in our best 22 for the last JLT, with the only Player likely to push for that midfield/Forward group for rd 1 would be Greenwood and even then that 50/50 at best. Gallucci not ready,
So it leaves us with the question if Greenwood comes into the side who go out.

And that my friends is likely to be Knight, Murthy who played the Midfield High Forward role that Greenwood plays, Pyke is strong on structures, Note Douglas played the defensive Forward role. Did not spend a lot of time if any as a midfielder.

Jone will play the 1st game, Question will be can he keep the spot. Same as Douglas can he keep his spot.
Douglas laid 2 tackles, 1 inside 50. I rest my case, he shouldn’t be playing

Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's not how the AFC rolls though. We all know the senior players get more chances to turn their form around. Likewise Mackay will either be selected or will be first in if there's an injury or suspension.
The AFC tried to be ruthless. And they were particularly ruthless with Edwards. The fans backslashed, big time.

Might have a lot to do with our attitude towards senior players. "Can't have the rank and file angry".

We were ruthless with Vince. That also had a fan backlash.

With Thommo we took the middle ground IMO.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Jones played against men in Tassie.

Jones is a top 10 pick in an extremely strong draft. High draft picks over recent years have come in and made a strong impact in their first year.

He’s shown he is very quick, can tackle and apply defensive pressure. He did it last week against GWS. They aren’t attributes that you suddenly lose. He’s also shown decent skills and decision making so far.

Douglas was a B&F winner over 10 years ago. We aren’t talking about the same Douglas so it’s irrelevant. He’s not quick. He doesn’t apply defensive pressure. He’s at the end of his career. Thommo had a great career but stunk towards the end, it happens to most players, few very rarely go out on top.

But this whole discussion and the position you’ve taken shows you really don’t know what you want. You don’t think we are a chance this year. You don’t want to be competitive. You want to win premierships, so to then want to select a senior player at the end of his career ahead of a pick 9 you need to develop is a contradiction to what you’ve been posting for the last year.

I actually don't mind Jones playing, but lets be honest, you can only bring in so many new faces is their a development order would we rather see Fog, Galluci, Pohlkoke, Stengle, Mcadam CEY Himmelberg ROB in the team

We could do what carlton have done to bring in so many but it would mean a bottom half finish, are we a chance are we not?

If not play Fog, Pohlkoke, CEY Mcadam, Stengle CEY ROB Himmelberg Jones Ned in the first rund and lets see if we can develop a team to win the flag

Personally I would play Fog as my priority to develop him and maybe one other if you think your a chance this year come round one, if not give some rookies a go when injuries arise as injuries will happen

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Apparently we are.

Douglas offers at this time more versatility and Pyke likes that, So He will play rd 1.
But we must not forget Douglas is one of the few Players we have who will sacrifice his game to play the team game. He did that in 2017 and got slammed pillar to post by a lot of supporters and I guess he will do it again this year by the looks of the JLT. And get slammed Pillar to Post.
The big question is if he still has it or if he lost it, which was hard to see in the JLT too early unless we knew what the coaches wanted from him.
What I do see, is that he will not see the year out in his current role, more so with Gallucci, McAdam, Stengle and McHenry coming along.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I actually don't mind Jones playing, but lets be honest, you can only bring in so many new faces is their a development order would we rather see Fog, Galluci, Pohlkoke, Stengle, Mcadam CEY Himmelberg ROB in the team

We could do what carlton have done to bring in so many but it would mean a bottom half finish, are we a chance are we not?

If not play Fog, Pohlkoke, CEY Mcadam, Stengle CEY ROB Himmelberg Jones Ned in the first rund and lets see if we can develop a team to win the flag

Personally I would play Fog as my priority to develop him and maybe one other if you think your a chance this year come round one, if not give some rookies a go when injuries arise as injuries will happen
Do you think we are a chance?

I want us to play the best youngsters we have and develop those, generally those are the lowest draft picks, so for me it’s Jones and NED, who both can play the Douglas role. Douglas shouldn’t be playing as a small forward ahead of either of those players.

Fog is one who I also want in and I wouldn’t be adverse to playing him off the bench but I don’t think we will. The difference being those who he would replace are playing in their natural positions and still playing well, we haven’t for example shifted Tex to the back pocket to keep him in the team.
The same goes for Himmelberg, would like to see what he can do but whilst our forwards are fit and performing he won’t get a look in as we are a chance this year if all goes well.

McAdam and Stengle aren’t fit enough yet, but same problem, not enough spots, who do they play ahead of?

Gallucci also has to come back and we have to keep developing him given how many years he’s been in and he showed something last year. But he’s recovering from injury.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Douglas offers at this time more versatility and Pyke likes that, So He will play rd 1.
But we must not forget Douglas is one of the few Players we have who will sacrifice his game to play the team game. He did that in 2017 and got slammed pillar to post by a lot of supporters and I guess he will do it again this year by the looks of the JLT. And get slammed Pillar to Post.
The big question is if he still has it or if he lost it, which was hard to see in the JLT too early unless we knew what the coaches wanted from him.
What I do see, is that he will not see the year out in his current role, more so with Gallucci, McAdam, Stengle and McHenry coming along.

Douglas is 32, getting games into him when he’s on the decline is an absolute waste of time.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Douglas is 32, getting games into him when he’s on the decline is an absolute waste of time.

Does not matter about that, Pyke will pick the team he thinks can win the game, at this time with the new rules, more so the restriction on runners, Pyke will err to the side of caution? until he is confident the newer players will fit into the team on game day. And not need instructions every 5 mins.
He will still play the Kids but history shows us he will be selective and not too many at one time.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does not matter about that, Pyke will pick the team he thinks can win the game, at this time with the new rules, more so the restriction on runners, Pyke will err to the side of caution? until he is confident the newer players will fit into the team on game day. And not need instructions every 5 mins.
He will still play the Kids but history shows us he will be selective and not too many at one time.
We played one kid on the weekend. 2 kids isnt going to see our game fall apart.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
With a full compliment of mids Dougie is not really needed either.

Gibbs and B Crouch play the attacking mid roles.
M Crouch and Greenwood the inside guys.
Atkins the pure outside mid
Sloaney the hybrid.

Plus Milera as part of the midfield rotation.

It is a well balanced midfield. I dont really see Dougie as best 22 anymore when you look at the make up of our midfield now.

Dougie is not better than any of these options. And I would suggest CEY in for Greenwood (if not ready) in that inside/forward role ahead of Dougie for team balance.

Take Dougie out of the middle and have Jones in the forward line. He, Knights and Eddie is a great trio for defensive pressure and goal scoring.

The bigger threat to Jones playing is Gooch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
The only role CEY is better than Douggy at is ruck

The context was that EC was saying Thommo should have been given the ruthless treatment. I was just saying the point he wasn’t exactly given the easy treatment in 2017. 1 game on a scrappy wet day isn’t exactly welcoming selection.
Also he was kept on to help out the youngsters, particularly players from the SANFL. This was the obvious direction the club went with him prior to his 2017 contract extension.

That isn't a ruthless decision though at all as that is 1 more game then Thommo should have gotten. I also completely disagree, a scrappy wet day is the most welcoming selection an inside midfielder could want as it is truly a match in their element as it slows down outside play and makes is a game which is won at the coalface. An inside midfielder struggling in those conditions indicates they have no business whatsoever on an AFL list, or they're a rookie who is yet to fill out.

Sure that was the obvious direction, but if you think that is ruthless, you need to buy a dictionary. It was a very accommodating end to a superstar of our side.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Apparently we are.

I agree with that. If this is the Douglas that we are getting he shouldn't be playing. The point I am arguing is that he has more credits in the bank than a couple of JLT games. Even a poor year last season, he was not alone. We aren't judging Sloane or Sauce or Tex or Eddie on last years season. All five of these blokes, Dougy included, have credits in the bank for this season. My feeling is that Dougy wont be good enough to keep his spot on merit. But my guess is that decision will be made on his first few games of performances. If he is only performing as well as he did in the JLT then he will lose his spot pretty quickly. At least that is the decision the selectors should make if they aren't prepared to make that call prior to R1. If Dougy plays R1, it will be in his own hands. If he can't wind back the clock, then he needs to be playing SANFL this season. But if he can, we wont really have much to complain about will we?

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
He shouldn't be playing the defensive forward role you are correct, but he offers great midfield depth, is hrd at it and strong overhead. He's in my best 22 still

The problem is, who does he keep out? With Brad Crouch fit, there is really only one spot in the team for an extra mid. I'd be picking Greenwood ahead of Dougy. Not even close. If Knight can play like he did in JLT2, I would be picking him ahead of Dougy too because he can tag as well as play a pressure forward role.

I think Dougy gets in the team as a forward and most likely at the expense of Murphy or Jones. I completely understand the dilemma here but its not a simple right or wrong situation. Pick the player best suited for the role who has electric pace and tackling pressure. Or pick a genuine quality footballer and shoehorn him into that role. I think we will choose the latter until it becomes clear to them that Dougy doesnt have that high level of footy left in him anymore.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
That isn't a ruthless decision though at all as that is 1 more game then Thommo should have gotten. I also completely disagree, a scrappy wet day is the most welcoming selection an inside midfielder could want as it is truly a match in their element as it slows down outside play and makes is a game which is won at the coalface. An inside midfielder struggling in those conditions indicates they have no business whatsoever on an AFL list, or they're a rookie who is yet to fill out.

Sure that was the obvious direction, but if you think that is ruthless, you need to buy a dictionary. It was a very accommodating end to a superstar of our side.
Not when the wet day was seeing everyone slipping and sliding like a kid’s playground.

Anyway, I didn’t use the word ruthless. Why would we want to be ruthless to a person who has been a warrior with us for over 10 years? Let’s stop discussing about Thommo and ruthlessness, as this is a moot point.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not when the wet day was seeing everyone slipping and sliding like a kid’s playground.

Anyway, I didn’t use the word ruthless. Why would we want to be ruthless to a person who has been a warrior with us for over 10 years? Let’s stop discussing about Thommo and ruthlessness, as this is a moot point.
You didn’t say “We were ruthless with Thommo 2 years ago”?

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
The problem is, who does he keep out? With Brad Crouch fit, there is really only one spot in the team for an extra mid. I'd be picking Greenwood ahead of Dougy. Not even close. If Knight can play like he did in JLT2, I would be picking him ahead of Dougy too because he can tag as well as play a pressure forward role.

I think Dougy gets in the team as a forward and most likely at the expense of Murphy or Jones. I completely understand the dilemma here but its not a simple right or wrong situation. Pick the player best suited for the role who has electric pace and tackling pressure. Or pick a genuine quality footballer and shoehorn him into that role. I think we will choose the latter until it becomes clear to them that Dougy doesnt have that high level of footy left in him anymore.
The other thing is flexibility in field positions. Dougy can offer us more if we were to be suddenly hit with injuries as his understanding of structures would be much more than a new player who is only used to one or two field positions.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
You didn’t say “We were ruthless with Thommo 2 years ago”?
I can’t remember. You said we weren’t ruthless anough with Thommo, and my main point was that we weren’t being kind to him either. I don’t want to go around in circles about the word “ruthless”, especially when this isn’t Thommo’s thread!

Back