Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we bid because we want those players or want other teams to need to use points and improve our later draft position.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
We wanted them

Do we bid because we want those players or want other teams to need to use points and improve our later draft position.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I reckon if we get band 1 compo for Brad if he leaves we'll put in a bid on Swans Academy player gun midfield/forward prospect Braeden Campbell given Sydney will have a very high pick by the look....and be over the moon if by some rare chance the Swans don't match which is highly unlikely. Elite player.

If you think I attacked your lad I apologise, I did not and would not do that.

My question to you is, why are you going harder and more vocal with Hamish than other members of the club ?? Once he picks the player, his responsibility to that players development is over.

You're forgetting the (failed) squad that got to the GF was largely picked by him. He's been recruiting 2IC/manager since 2006. Since then we've lost draft picks and thrown some away. Guns he's had a large hand in picking have left the club.

I'd say he's had A LOT more hits than misses

And before you go the line again, no I don't know the guy very well and certainly wouldn't consider him an acquaintance let alone friend.
I don’t think I go harder on him than others. Unfortunately what I’ve found recently is that even the mildest throwaway comment on H or that 2018 draft which connects him, attracts a lot of antagonism and leads to pages of back/forth ending up in personal abuse, so it has the appearance of going at him.

Until recently I’d never stopped and considered his strategy - had always assumed he was the one untouchable.

With the list so bad I went back and did some research and posed questions that I think are validly asked. It had got under my guard completely that we have no mids drafted and playing since 2013.

Take Moose as an example. Now he looks like a nice pick, but was he right for us at the time? Worpel was there - were we better off punting a pick 40 on a mid in the circumstances? Rather than yet another medium defender on the back of Lever, Wigg, Doedee, Milera (who was playing defence).

You can’t blame coaching/development if you haven’t even got the right players on to the list. We had 4 drafts with Gallucci the only high midfielder picked. And even then H wanted English. That would have made 5 drafts.

So what I was analysing was the longer term, strategic direction of his drafting rather than just pick by pick.

What I came up with was a conclusion that we haven’t done a very good job of bringing in mids since 2013. That’s a long time and hence we now have a massive gap between the old and new. Hence I’m now incredibly nervy on Jones/McHenry as they simply have to succeed given what’s gone before.

Of course he gets a free pass on 2017 because of Gibbs although Worpel would have been nice at 40.

If any of that is factually incorrect I’m happy to debate it, but I’m not going to engage with any more personal stuff.

I don’t think I go harder on him than others. Unfortunately what I’ve found recently is that even the mildest throwaway comment on H or that 2018 draft which connects him, attracts a lot of antagonism and leads to pages of back/forth ending up in personal abuse, so it has the appearance of going at him.

Until recently I’d never stopped and considered his strategy - had always assumed he was the one untouchable.

With the list so bad I went back and did some research and posed questions that I think are validly asked. It had got under my guard completely that we have no mids drafted and playing since 2013.

Take Moose as an example. Now he looks like a nice pick, but was he right for us at the time? Worpel was there - were we better off punting a pick 40 on a mid in the circumstances? Rather than yet another medium defender on the back of Lever, Wigg, Doedee, Milera (who was playing defence).

You can’t blame coaching/development if you haven’t even got the right players on to the list. We had 4 drafts with Gallucci the only high midfielder picked. And even then H wanted English. That would have made 5 drafts.

So what I was analysing was the longer term, strategic direction of his drafting rather than just pick by pick.

What I came up with was a conclusion that we haven’t done a very good job of bringing in mids since 2013. That’s a long time and hence we now have a massive gap between the old and new. Hence I’m now incredibly nervy on Jones/McHenry as they simply have to succeed given what’s gone before.

Of course he gets a free pass on 2017 because of Gibbs although Worpel would have been nice at 40.

If any of that is factually incorrect I’m happy to debate it, but I’m not going to engage with any more personal stuff.
You do realise you were a gee up for Jordan Clark transitioning into the midfield at AFL level despite he'd played mostly half back as a juniorwhen "Moose" prior to his ill fated draft year was almost a dead ringer for Clark?

DRAFT ANALYSIS: "Classy ball user who has had multiple injury issues in his draft year "
OVERVIEW
AFL Academy member Andrew McPherson came into the year with high hopes, after performing well during the 2016 National Under 18 Championships as a bottom-ager for South Australia. However, the year didn’t pan out as expected – with McPherson missing chunks of the season due to multiple injuries, with a quad issue keeping him out of the Under 18 carnival and a hamstring injury affecting him leading in the National Combine. McPherson has shown he can play well across half back and could transition into an inside midfielders role in his brief appearances in 2017.
STRENGTHS

• Endurance
  • Kicking
  • Footy IQ
  • Rebounding
Despite missing a lot of the season, McPherson’s endurance base is very good. While he has spent numerous hours conditioning himself to get back to full fitness – his past testing results indicate that he has the ability to run hard all day and it may help him transition to a midfield role.
McPherson’s kicking is also very good. Coming off the half back flank he is able to impact a game by finding targets short or long down the ground. In the AFL Academy match against VFL side Northern Blues, he used the ball well – having no clangers by foot. His kicking can make him a weapon coming off the half back flank where he has shown he can use either foot, rather than just his preferred right boot.
McPherson possesses a very good footy IQ, running to the right positions and being able to impact a contest when required. This can help when he rebounds the ball out of the defensive 50, not looking flustered – especially in the 2016 National Under 18 Championships, where as a bottom-ager he was tasked with a lot of responsibility against often older opponents. His rebounding skills mean he is a player you want to have the ball in his hands in defensive 50, as he is able to find a target up the ground and get the ball moving towards goal.

Last edited:

What I came up with was a conclusion that we haven’t done a very good job of bringing in mids since 2013. That’s a long time and hence we now have a massive gap between the old and new.

The strategy is always pick the best player available which is also the strategy that saw us play in a GF 3 years ago. We bemoan the lack of size in our midfield so picking Worpel would've been another set in said direction. Great little player though and I'm sure the decision was spoken about.

With Moose, we had also just lost yet another 2 interstate kids going home so having the local lad who pre injury was almost a top 20 lock was a no brainer.

I do get the midfield factor, but when you consider we had 2 x AA in Sloane and Crouch, and Brad who in 17 FINALLY looked to have found his mojo before being again struck down with injury and then we bring in Gibbs who came off a good year at the Blues and started 2018 very well.

Milera was drafted as a mid/forward, Poholke was drafted as a mid and we don't play him there when we play him.

Development HAS to take a big slice of the blame though.

You do realise you were a gee up for Jordan Clark transitioning into the midfield at AFL level despite he'd played mostly half back as a juniorwhen "Moose" prior to his ill fated draft year was almost a dead ringer for Clark?

DRAFT ANALYSIS: "Classy ball user who has had multiple injury issues in his draft year "
OVERVIEW
AFL Academy member Andrew McPherson came into the year with high hopes, after performing well during the 2016 National Under 18 Championships as a bottom-ager for South Australia. However, the year didn’t pan out as expected – with McPherson missing chunks of the season due to multiple injuries, with a quad issue keeping him out of the Under 18 carnival and a hamstring injury affecting him leading in the National Combine. McPherson has shown he can play well across half back and could transition into an inside midfielders role in his brief appearances in 2017.
STRENGTHS

• Endurance
  • Kicking
  • Footy IQ
  • Rebounding
Despite missing a lot of the season, McPherson’s endurance base is very good. While he has spent numerous hours conditioning himself to get back to full fitness – his past testing results indicate that he has the ability to run hard all day and it may help him transition to a midfield role.
McPherson’s kicking is also very good. Coming off the half back flank he is able to impact a game by finding targets short or long down the ground. In the AFL Academy match against VFL side Northern Blues, he used the ball well – having no clangers by foot. His kicking can make him a weapon coming off the half back flank where he has shown he can use either foot, rather than just his preferred right boot.
McPherson possesses a very good footy IQ, running to the right positions and being able to impact a contest when required. This can help when he rebounds the ball out of the defensive 50, not looking flustered – especially in the 2016 National Under 18 Championships, where as a bottom-ager he was tasked with a lot of responsibility against often older opponents. His rebounding skills mean he is a player you want to have the ball in his hands in defensive 50, as he is able to find a target up the ground and get the ball moving towards goal.
Can you stop taking me out of context.

All I originally posted was Clark is a gem. That’s all I said. You’ve driven it since then.

It’s just deadset f....g weird

All I originally posted was Clark is a gem. That’s all I said. You’ve driven it since then.

He's a gem but he's a halfback too.

I like the ones we have, although I'm very concerned about Hamill and his headknocks.

The strategy is always pick the best player available which is also the strategy that saw us play in a GF 3 years ago. We bemoan the lack of size in our midfield so picking Worpel would've been another set in said direction. Great little player though and I'm sure the decision was spoken about.

With Moose, we had also just lost yet another 2 interstate kids going home so having the local lad who pre injury was almost a top 20 lock was a no brainer.

I do get the midfield factor, but when you consider we had 2 x AA in Sloane and Crouch, and Brad who in 17 FINALLY looked to have found his mojo before being again struck down with injury and then we bring in Gibbs who came off a good year at the Blues and started 2018 very well.

Milera was drafted as a mid/forward, Poholke was drafted as a mid and we don't play him there when we play him.

I’ve said previously that if Milera can transition to midfield then it resets the balance. Suddenly 2015 changes from 2 medium defenders to 1 high end mid and 1 medium defender.

Doesn’t sound much but I think it makes a big difference.

He's a gem but he's a halfback too.

I like the ones we have, although I'm very concerned about Hamill and his headknocks.
Drafted as a back but already moved up the ground.

Anyway this is what I’m talking about. 1 tiny throw away line about Clark and Bicks has lost his mind.

Drafted as a back but already moved up the ground.

Anyway this is what I’m talking about. 1 tiny throw away line about Clark and Bicks has lost his mind.
I think that's also what we hope with Hamill in particular, push him up to a wing.

Doesn't quite have the inside game to play centre square yet.

No problem with picking Moose, especially when he was considered a first round talent prior to injury.

We definitely went too flanker heavy in 2018 though.

I'll tell you why Worpel slipped down the rankings dramatically in his draft year after starting out as a likely 1st rounder it was perceived by recruiters and most draft watchers he had s**t foot skills....personally I thought it wasn't as big a problem as it was made out to be given he won the majority of his ball in a heavily congested midfield contest but when in the clear it wasn't too bad at all and both FAITH and I rated him a lot higher than where he went eventually. If you check back to the thread on that particular draft I was always confident in predicting if Moose was still there at our pick #40 Hamish couldn't pull the trigger quick enough. I was really surprised that either Moose or Worpel were still there at #40.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No problem with picking Moose, especially when he was considered a first round talent prior to injury.

We definitely went too flanker heavy in 2018 though.
Don't necessarily see that. I mean as I said I think Hamill will end up a winger and who knows with Sholl, looks like a player who has the talent to play anywhere and had been training with the midfield group.

But it's why I want us to play O'Connor for a game or 2 this year. He's the 191cm monster people have been craving.

OVERVIEW
STRENGTHS

• Endurance
  • Kicking
  • Footy IQ
  • Rebounding
And actually I’ve just checked back. It wasn’t just out of context, you’ve deliberately misrepresented what I said. All I did was read the review YOU posted and observed it was said he will likely transition to midfield.

So seriously you need to back off with your ridiculous posting, telling fibs and misrepresenting.

It’s very poor form

Don't necessarily see that. I mean as I said I think Hamill will end up a winger and who knows with Sholl, looks like a player who has the talent to play anywhere and had been training with the midfield group.

But it's why I want us to play O'Connor for a game or 2 this year. He's the 191cm monster people have been craving.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think they're both going to be good players. Nothing wrong with the talent identification.

We really needed another proper midfielder though, as well as another ruck (there were melts when we didn't pick Bailey Williams).

I wish we'd kept our pick 19 instead of doing the pick swap. I count at least a dozen inside mids picked between that pick and the end of the second round. Most haven't done anything amazing yet, but it would be nice to have them developing.

I'll tell you why Worpel slipped down the rankings dramatically in his draft year after starting out as a likely 1st rounder it was perceived by recruiters and most draft watchers he had sh*t foot skills....personally I thought it wasn't as big a problem as it was made out to be given he won the majority of his ball in a heavily congested midfield contest but when in the clear it wasn't too bad at all and both FAITH and I rated him a lot higher than where he went eventually. If you check back to the thread on that particular draft I was always confident in predicting if Moose was still there at our pick #40 Hamish couldn't pull the trigger quick enough. I was really surprised that either Moose or Worpel were still there at #40.

To be honest i didn't really know much about him, i just heard a whisper the Crows were heavily into him for our first pick.
Crows didnt expect Fogarty to slip to us, so put a lot of work into Bailey,Allen,Worpel and McPherson.
Thats what i was told.

And actually I’ve just checked back. It wasn’t just out of context, you’ve deliberately misrepresented what I said. All I did was read the review YOU posted and observed it was said he will likely transition to midfield.

So seriously you need to back off with your ridiculous posting, telling fibs and misrepresenting.

It’s very poor form
Much the same as it said of our "gem" Moose...

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think they're both going to be good players. Nothing wrong with the talent identification.

We really needed another proper midfielder though, as well as another ruck (there were melts when we didn't pick Bailey Williams).

I wish we'd kept our pick 19 instead of doing the pick swap. I count at least a dozen inside mids picked between that pick and the end of the second round. Most haven't done anything amazing yet, but it would be nice to have them developing.
It's a fair question.

We really needed another ready to go mid and should Brad leave we need 2. If Matt goes..... Our midfield is in even worse shape than it is now, providing we don't make some coaching changes.

Our drafting strategy over that period hinged on the assumption that Matt and Brad Crouch would lead our midfield for the next decade. Even today they should have been our primary mids for the next 5 years.

When you look at our drafting, it seems we worked on that assumption. Gallucci and Milera are nice midfield support acts, mostly outside players, who should have been able to come in and complement the inside grunt of Matt, Brad and Sloane (who is signed through 2023). You can throw Smith into that mix who should also be here for a few more years.

But what actually happened is we've realized Matt and Brad aren't the answer, and Sloane possibly will decline quicker than expected. Throw in a failed Bryce Gibbs trade and suddenly we've gone from needing 0 midfielders in the short term, possibly 2 in the long term, to needing 3-4 midfielders right now.

Could we have drafted more midfielders in that time? Sure. But there wasn't much pressure to do so, and not much incentive to trade up for high picks to get the star mids

What I actually find more concerning is our lack of drafting of forwards. We knew that Jenkins, Walker and Betts were all finishing up around the same time based on their age, and also lost Cameron three years ago. The only forward we've drafted in that time with a good pick has been Fogarty. Surely we should have been bolstering that area of the ground to prepare for a transition of players

Our drafting strategy over that period hinged on the assumption that Matt and Brad Crouch would lead our midfield for the next decade. Even today they should have been our primary mids for the next 5 years.

When you look at our drafting, it seems we worked on that assumption. Gallucci and Milera are nice midfield support acts, mostly outside players, who should have been able to come in and complement the inside grunt of Matt, Brad and Sloane (who is signed through 2023). You can throw Smith into that mix who should also be here for a few more years.

But what actually happened is we've realized Matt and Brad aren't the answer, and Sloane possibly will decline quicker than expected. Throw in a failed Bryce Gibbs trade and suddenly we've gone from needing 0 midfielders in the short term, possibly 2 in the long term, to needing 3-4 midfielders right now.

Could we have drafted more midfielders in that time? Sure. But there wasn't much pressure to do so, and not much incentive to trade up for high picks to get the star mids

What I actually find more concerning is our lack of drafting of forwards. We knew that Jenkins, Walker and Betts were all finishing up around the same time based on their age, and also lost Cameron three years ago. The only forward we've drafted in that time with a good pick has been Fogarty. Surely we should have been bolstering that area of the ground to prepare for a transition of players
I agree but I'm just hoping we are developing Josh Worrell as the roaming key forward similar to Hipwood at the Lions, not quite the height but similar athleticism with maybe more tricks.

Edit : And a better kick than Hipwood.

Last edited:

I think Elliot is coming on ok, but so he should it’s now his time, over 3 years of development. He needs to for the reasons you outline. It’s also why Tilley is in pick 1 calculations.

The issue with our midfield, and if we go with your theory - the miscalculation, is of course the urgency.

Unfortunately for Jones and McHenry, just about all of that top 15 are plug and play. There’s undeniably a lot of pressure on both, but it is year 2. Hopefully they can show something soon.

Harry looks great, shapes as our best midfield pick since Matt. Plus he’s local. Ticks every box so looking an excellent pick. If he can get the pace this year and have a big PS, he’s on the whiteboard for 2021.

For me the wildcards are WMJ and Gooch. Can we get something out of Jordan yet? Can Wayne transition to midfield. Wayne more so is the missing piece IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back