Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Would Jack Gunston be an apt comparison?
Reckon he's a fair bit more athletically gifted than Jack on what I saw last year before his injury.

Endurance was the area he needed to work on most coming off his junior footy.

Nah I'm right mate

No one is saying he doesn't deserve scrutiny, everyone at this club does. But picking a starting 18 U18 AA Vicr captain who dominated TFL against men and tested as well as he did isn't a poor decision.

If Chayce fails, which I don't think he will, it's not just on Hamish.

But the irony is, you point out guys like Hamill, Sholl and Schoenberg as "plug n play" types. Who picked them ??
This is a completely whack argument. You're drafting players based on how well you believe they will be able to transition to the highest level of competition. You can use their performance at lower levels to help inform your opinion but just being good at that level does not automatically mean a player has the right skillset to be successful in the AFL.

Do you think that an NFL GM after drafting a bust in the first round is able to turn around and say 'Well not really my fault, the guy was good in college!'

Jones is your typical Crows player. Soft and was drafted on his running ability and not footy ability. Galluci and Jones are duds!

Hanging sh*t on Hamish is completely misplaced. The guy went and picked Charlie Cameron from nowhere, Mitch etc. Hanging sh*t on someone needs to be directed at Reid for the Gibbs trade, Menzel, Hampton, Gibson and other useless trades. It needs to be directed at Fagan and Chapman for allowing the club to spiral out of control into a sea of sh*te.

Imagine your role as a recruiter picking great kids and watching them implode in a club that is rooted, and on top of that, having an eye on some other great kids but being handicapped by the loss of picks for dud trades.

I'm surprised the guy hasn't walked.
I think the concern is how he goes picking midfielders with high picks.

Which is what we desperately need.

Picked some great defenders and roughies over the years.

I think McPherson will be a solid player for many years to come. Probably in the Luke Brown (not flashy, but always dependable) mold.

I like him too. Looks like a very smart/intelligent footballer.

Edit: I really like McAdam too.

I guess what I meant was Hamill looks on track to be an A grader/top level player. Talia still looking like an ex-A grader aging gracefully. I think he has been immense, even if he is probably in career worse form. That’s coming down from a hell of a career. No different to say Phil Davis etc.

Doedee our only player that’s playing like a top level player.

I don’t think I go harder on him than others. Unfortunately what I’ve found recently is that even the mildest throwaway comment on H or that 2018 draft which connects him, attracts a lot of antagonism and leads to pages of back/forth ending up in personal abuse, so it has the appearance of going at him.

Until recently I’d never stopped and considered his strategy - had always assumed he was the one untouchable.

With the list so bad I went back and did some research and posed questions that I think are validly asked. It had got under my guard completely that we have no mids drafted and playing since 2013.

Take Moose as an example. Now he looks like a nice pick, but was he right for us at the time? Worpel was there - were we better off punting a pick 40 on a mid in the circumstances? Rather than yet another medium defender on the back of Lever, Wigg, Doedee, Milera (who was playing defence).

You can’t blame coaching/development if you haven’t even got the right players on to the list. We had 4 drafts with Gallucci the only high midfielder picked. And even then H wanted English. That would have made 5 drafts.

So what I was analysing was the longer term, strategic direction of his drafting rather than just pick by pick.

What I came up with was a conclusion that we haven’t done a very good job of bringing in mids since 2013. That’s a long time and hence we now have a massive gap between the old and new. Hence I’m now incredibly nervy on Jones/McHenry as they simply have to succeed given what’s gone before.

Of course he gets a free pass on 2017 because of Gibbs although Worpel would have been nice at 40.

If any of that is factually incorrect I’m happy to debate it, but I’m not going to engage with any more personal stuff.

I think by that point, you take what you can get with players who make it. After all, the fail rate is quite high once your past pick 20-25.

Not only that, but you are also dealing with different clubs and different systems. A factor which would be exasperated by the fact we're garbage and have been in this area for a few years now. Does Worpel become nothing more than a dud who barely looks like he can football in our system?

180cm.

That’s enough for me - to overcome that, you have to be a superstar.

What, being a tick under the average height for a midfielder?

If he was <175 cm, I'd say you have a point. You don't at 180 cm.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are the gun ~180cm mids in the competition?

Lachie Neale and Tom Mitchell.

Who else?
Adam Treloar and Luke Shuey are marginally taller, Matt Rowell is 178, Zac Butters is listed as 181 but I'd dispute that.

Plenty of guys around that height who are guns.

I think the concern is how he goes picking midfielders with high picks.

Which is what we desperately need.

Picked some great defenders and roughies over the years.

These high picks you talk of and given you have the advantage of hindsight...and the only pick I personally consider to be a high pick is inside the top 10. after that most of the really highly rated mids are well and truly off the board.

2019 :
You wouldn't have taken Fischer McAsey obviously but the only mid taken after him that's really looked the goods so far is the 178cm Caleb Serong apart from Rowell and Anderson who the AFL ordained had to go to the GCS and he did take a mid with his next pick 24 Harry Schoenberg and another mid 191cm Ronin O'Connor later. And let's not forget until the AFL swooped in with their priority pick for the GCS we would have had access to one of the 2 highest rated mids in yonks in Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson who were head and shoulders above all other mids in that draft other than GWS Academy player Tom Green.

2018 :
He took a highly athletic balanced midfielder in Chayce Jones at pick 9 and a midfield/forward Ned McHenry at pick 16 who you may have written off already but unlike you I'm more optimistic about their chances going forward.
Probably the best performed mids taken after them are outside mid Xavier Duursma and inside mid James Rowbottom.

2017 :
You wouldn't have taken Darcy Fogarty at pick 12 who was seen as a Forward being his best role? Probably the best performed mids taken after him were James Worpel and Zac Bailey unless you had amazing foresight and picked mature ager Tim Kelly from the WAFL.

2016 :
He did take a midfielder or should I say Don Pyke took a midfielder in Jordan Gallucci at pick 16.
Probably the 2 best performed midfielders taken after him are Jarrod Berry who was seen as a defender by a lot of the AFL scribes (not me) and Sam Powell-Pepper

2015 :
You wouldn't have taken Wayne Milera at pick 11 who at the time was seen as a Forward/midfielder prospect?

You certainly wouldn't have taken Tom Doedee at pick 17 who was seen as a shut down medium defender?

Probably the best performed mids taken after them both are the 177cm Jade Gresham, Sydney father/son Josh Dunkley who went to the Dogs at pick 25 because Sydney didn't match and James Worpel.

2014 :
You wouldn't have taken Jake Lever at pick 14 in favour of who exactly?

Probably the performed mid taken after that was Jack Steele who was a GWS Academy aligned draftee and they may have matched even at #14.

2013 : Draft sanctions
He didn't have a high pick but plucked a midfielder at pick 23 Matt Crouch that went on to earn an AA guernsey.

2012 : Draft sanctions

Pick 66 was our 1st pick but he plucked a midfielder Rory Atkins at pick 81 who has played 101 AFL games.

Last edited:
Who are the gun ~180cm mids in the competition?

Lachie Neale and Tom Mitchell.

Who else?

Neale, Mitchell, Walters, Shiel, Boak, Merritt, Adams, Zorko, T. Miller, Z. Jones and Viney. Jack Steven, Tom Scully, Nathan Jones and Marc Murphy were quality in their prime too.

McGrath, Serong and Rowell looking the goods early.

I'm pretty confident about Schoenberg who is the same height.

The truth of the matter is, like em' or loathe 'em , these are the kids we have got and we've undoubtedly missed some opportunities, though anybody who is good to enough to even be in the draft, has to have way above average talent. Just have to hope we have some who have an above average ceiling.

The truth of the matter is, like em' or loathe 'em , these are the kids we have got and we've undoubtedly missed some opportunities, though anybody who is good to enough to even be in the draft, has to have way above average talent. Just have to hope we have some who have an above average ceiling.
Not nearly as many as some would have you believe in refereence to gun midfielders when you actually do some draft research.....Most of the gun mids haven't been available to us as at the picks we've held.

These high picks you talk of and given you have the advantage of hindsight...and the only pick I personally consider to be a high pick is inside the top 10. after that most of the really highly rated mids are well and truly off the board.

2019 :
You wouldn't have taken Fischer McAsey obviously but the only mid taken after him that's really looked the goods so far is the 178cm Caleb Serong apart from Rowell and Anderson who the AFL ordained had to go to the GCS and he did take a mid with his next pick 24 Harry Schoenberg and another mid 191cm Ronin O'Connor later. And let's not forget until the AFL swooped in with their priority pick for the GCS we would have had access to one of the 2 highest rated mids in yonks in Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson who were head and shoulders above all other mids in that draft other than GWS Academy player Tom Green.

2018 :
He took a highly athletic balanced midfielder in Chayce Jones at pick 9 and a midfield/forward Ned McHenry at pick 16 who you may have written off already but unlike you I'm more optimistic about their chances going forward.
Probably the best performed mids taken after them are outside mid Xavier Duursma and inside mid James Rowbottom.

2017 :
You wouldn't have taken Darcy Fogarty at pick 12 who was seen as a Forward being his best role? Probably the best performed mids taken after him were James Worpel and Zac Bailey unless you had amazing foresight and picked mature ager Tim Kelly from the WAFL.

2016 :
He did take a midfielder or should I say Don Pyke took a midfielder in Jordan Gallucci at pick 16.
Probably the 2 best performed midfielders taken after him are Jarrod Berry who was seen as a defender by a lot of the AFL scribes (not me) and Sam Powell-Pepper

2015 :
You wouldn't have taken Wayne Milera at pick 11 who at the time was seen as a Forward/midfielder prospect?

You certainly wouldn't have taken Tom Doedee at pick 17 who was seen as a shut down medium defender?

Probably the best performed mids taken after them both are the 177cm Jade Gresham, Sydney father/son Josh Dunkley who went to the Dogs at pick 25 because Sydney didn't match and James Worpel.

2014 :
You wouldn't have taken Jake Lever at pick 14 in favour of who exactly?

Probably the performed mid taken after that was Jack Steele who was a GWS Academy aligned draftee and they may have matched even at #14.

2013 : Draft sanctions
He didn't have a high pick but plucked a midfielder at pick 23 Matt Crouch that went on to earn an AA guernsey.

2012 : Draft sanctions

Pick 66 was our 1st pick but he plucked a midfielder Rory Atkins at pick 81 who has played 101 AFL games.
You're going to a lot of effort there to try to defend Hamish, from what exactly I'm not sure.

People weren't complaining about taking Lever etc.

People are clearly concerned that since midfield became a need in the last few years none of the midfield prospects he's taken in the first round (or Poholke etc for that matter) have been obvious successes.

So of course, now that we have THE WORST MIDFIELD IN THE LEAGUE, there is some angst about how Hamish will turn it around.

Missed opportunities is the nature of drafting. Every club has them.

We have some kids with high ceilings and have made a promising start to fulfil that. We have a few high ceiling kids who are struggling due to injuries/fitness/confidence. We have a few kids who have made a good start, all things considering but with a few question marks of if they can be more than role players.

On that side of the coin, we're actually in an ok position at what is (and no matter how much our board deludes themselves into believing there 5 year plan has been successful) the start of a rebuild. The only way we climb our way back up is to get a better fitness man in and get better coaching staff in.

You're going to a lot of effort there to try to defend Hamish, from what exactly I'm not sure.

People are clearly concerned that since midfield became a need in the last few years none of the midfield prospects he's taken in the first round (or Poholke etc for that matter) have been obvious successes.

So of course, now that we have THE WORST MIDFIELD IN THE LEAGUE, there is some angst about how Hamish will turn it around.
Yes I am because it's mostly unwarranted and not based on fact when it comes to the mids available at his 1st pick.
My point is the truly good midfielders he may have taken were already gone when it came to his 1st pick which was the point of your post i.e. midfielders with high picks.

You don't have to take my word for it go back and look for yourself....I did.

Last edited:

Welcome to the asylum

Simple answer is Hamish can’t. It’s not even his job description. He isn’t the reason our midfield is the worst in the league. And given that it’a pretty obvious that it is the worst midfield in the league, how are people surprised that Jones isn’t playing well. It doesn’t matter which midfeilder we select at the draft (or who picks him) as long as we have the worst midfield in the league, any 18 year old we throw in their is going to look ordinary.

Is it also Hamish’s fault that Sloane isn’t a good midfielder anymore. Gibbs? Both of these guys have got some seriously good midfield games under their belts. Look at how they look in our current midfield. One is a flanker the other isn’t even best 22. Is Hamish to blame for Matt and Brad Crouches regression to their under 14s levels?

Doesn’t matter who we take with picks 1&2 if we can’t develop them.

Simple answer is Hamish can’t. It’s not even his job description. He isn’t the reason our midfield is the worst in the league. And given that it’a pretty obvious that it is the worst midfield in the league, how are people surprised that Jones isn’t playing well. It doesn’t matter which midfeilder we select at the draft (or who picks him) as long as we have the worst midfield in the league, any 18 year old we throw in their is going to look ordinary.

Is it also Hamish’s fault that Sloane isn’t a good midfielder anymore. Gibbs? Both of these guys have got some seriously good midfield games under their belts. Look at how they look in our current midfield. One is a flanker the other isn’t even best 22. Is Hamish to blame for Matt and Brad Crouches regression to their under 14s levels?

Doesn’t matter who we take with picks 1&2 if we can’t develop them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Crouch was fitter when we drafted him...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back