Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you sent your CV yet? You just got lucky on your call, we were definitely premiership contenders and would have been for another few years if not for the camp which stuffed us more than expected as it fester for another year, hence the external review done by the club and action taken after the review and likely more needed.....

Does your mum know you've been sticking crayons up your nose again?

Farout no wonder players say Adelaide is a fishbowl for footy, relax.

Everyone is acting like McHenry and Jones need to perform like Dangerfield after 10-20 games.

Great news for Port that Butters and Rozee performed from day one, that isn't guaranteed over their entire careers. It's a marathon not a sprint. Jones and McHenry may be better players over their careers, only time will tell.

Chayce has played 18 AFL games and McHenry has played 7 AFL games.

We are playing these guys with no guidance from senior players in the middle.

It takes time and everyone needs to be patient.

Our recruiters have done an decent job of picking talent (we just lose them to other clubs). Yes they have failed at times, but doesn't every club make a few mistakes.

Everyone is acting like McHenry and Jones need to perform like Dangerfield after 10-20 games.

Great news for Port that Butters and Rozee performed from day one, that isn't guaranteed over their entire careers. It's a marathon not a sprint. Jones and McHenry may be better players over their careers, only time will tell.

Our recruiters have done an decent job of picking talent (we just lose them to other clubs). Yes they have failed at times, but doesn't every club make a few mistakes.
We may go winless in a season when we hardly even play away from home

Who has done a decent job

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We may go winless in a season when we hardly even play away from home

Who has done a decent job

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So you disregard that the recruiters constructed a team that made it to the GF, even after losing a tonne of players.

It's mismanagement from the coaching department that has got us here, not the recruiters.

They keep picking the talent and we keep losing it.

The Gibbs deal was a disaster.

Let's go through the list -

Gunston (at the end of his career, but would've helped)
Greenwood (still think he was worthy of keeping)
Davis
Dangerfield
Lever
Cameron
Keath (still think he was worthy of keeping)
McGovern

We would've had a team that was middle of the table now and could've developed the younger players around them.

Instead we've been forced to go in full rebuild mode.

Funny how Geelong tried luring Boak and he opted to stay in Adelaide and Robbie Gray has never opted to move back to Melbourne.

We need to work on keeping players.

The recruiters gave us the list to contend for a premiership, the management blew it.

This is why I believe Nick's is right for the job, it looks like he is starting with the culture/relationships. He knows that the next two drafts (high picks) will reset Adelaide and he'll build the club around these guys. We can't evaluate his performance as a coach yet, he hasn't had the draft input yet.

It's a good point, you can really only assess at the end of their career. People are too quick to right off players. We just have to give them games.

It's a good point, you can really only assess at the end of their career. People are too quick to right off players. We just have to give them games.

Looking back at Dangerfields stats, his first three full years were average.

Breakout year was 2012, 4 years after debuting. That was 64 games into his career.

Most of the supporters on here would've been bagging him by 2010 and written him off by 2011.

I understand everyone is impatient (given the times), but let him mature and get some games into him and then assess.

Looking back at Dangerfields stats, his first three full years were average.

Breakout year was 2012, 4 years after debuting. That was 64 games into his career.

Most of the supporters on here would've been bagging him by 2010 and written him off by 2011.

I understand everyone is impatient (given the times), but let him mature and get some games into him and then assess.
Really can we all just stop comparing Danger - I mean seriously just stop it.

For the umpteenth time he was not played as a mid full time early days, he was a medium forward whose stats were therefore lower but offset by always contributing over 20 goals a season until he moved to full time midfield.

For the umpteenth time he was not played as a mid full time early days, he was a medium forward whose stats were therefore lower but offset by always contributing over 20 goals a season until he moved to full time midfield.

Not saying he's going to be a Dangerfield, just providing an example that you don't need to be a superstar from game 1.

It takes time.

Not saying he's going to be a Dangerfield, just providing an example that you don't need to be a superstar from game 1.

It takes time.
I know what you’re trying to do but it’s a poor comparison. Really poor and I don’t know why people continue to do it.

It a favourable comparison because Danger didn’t play much midfield early days.

If you’re going to do a comparison choose a kid who’s played 20 games primarily as a midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And there were games which he impacted. Moments which made you go 'wow'. One against Freo in Perth which he substantially impacted in the last few minutes with the game on the line comes to mind.

And there were games which he impacted. Moments which made you go 'wow'. One against Freo in Perth which he substantially impacted in the last few minutes with the game on the line comes to mind.

The team around Danger was 100x better than now. We have experienced players that are struggling to even win a game.

Our team is struggling to string together 2-3 kicks and marks lol.

O'Brien is killing it in the ruck contests, but hardly taps it to our advantage. Chayce hasn't got many opportunities to give us wow moments. Even Brad and Matt are struggling in the middle and they are experienced.

I wonder if we've almost been too keen to develop Jones this year? Trying to flesh out his understanding on the defensive side of the game. Make sure he understands two-way football right from the start.

Spending periods following the best mids around. See where they run, how hard they work.

Now try half back, bit easier to get a kick. Get your hands on the ball.

Ten games in and they've tried a bunch of stuff. Players who've settled in well tend to be left alone in the one role.

Have we been fully clear on the best way to develop him?

And because of our super-keen desire to develop him haven't given him a game off/dropped him for a week when he perhaps needed it.

Sort of like we realised we haven't paid enough attention to development in the past so are now embarking on some scary love.

Homer: Kids, your … daddy has realized something very important: a father should always make his kids feel wanted. Starting right now I promise to spend a lot more time with you and give you the attention you deserve.

[gets up, hugs Bart and Lisa really tight so they can hardly breathe]

Homer: I think Lisa needs another push on her new tire swing!

Lisa: No, Dad, I want to get down. This tire is filthy and the steel belts are poking me.

Homer: [pushing her] Whee! Whee!

Lisa: Nooo! Nooo!

Bart: No offense, Homer, but your under-parenting was a lot more fun than your over-parenting

Lisa: Dad, it’s just that too much of your love can really be… scary.

Homer: [sighs] Someday you’ll thank me for all this scary love. But now I’ve got to go somewhere and do some serious thinking.

Last edited:
The team around Danger was 100x better than now. We have experienced players that are struggling to even win a game.

Our team is struggling to string together 2-3 kicks and marks lol.

O'Brien is killing it in the ruck contests, but hardly taps it to our advantage. Chayce hasn't got many opportunities to give us wow moments. Even Brad and Matt are struggling in the middle and they are experienced.

Our 2010 team lost its first 6 games. Our 2011 team played badly enough to get Neil Craig sacked at a club that had declared him coach for life. Yes, they weren't as bad as the current team which is the worst team in AFL history, but let's not act like they were some powerhouse teams carrying junior players along.

There's a chicken or egg thing here. Part of the reason those teams were better than our current one is that they had young talent like Dangerfield.

Our 2010 team lost its first 6 games. Our 2011 team played badly enough to get Neil Craig sacked at a club that had declared him coach for life. Yes, they weren't as bad as the current team which is the worst team in AFL history, but let's not act like they were some powerhouse teams carrying junior players along.

There's a chicken or egg thing here. Part of the reason those teams were better than our current one is that they had young talent like Dangerfield.

True.

Our current team would make Dangerfield look average. We just can't get on our hands on the ball to do anything with it.

So you disregard that the recruiters constructed a team that made it to the GF, even after losing a tonne of players.

It's mismanagement from the coaching department that has got us here, not the recruiters.

They keep picking the talent and we keep losing it.

The Gibbs deal was a disaster.

Let's go through the list -

Gunston (at the end of his career, but would've helped)
Greenwood (still think he was worthy of keeping)
Davis
Dangerfield
Lever
Cameron
Keath (still think he was worthy of keeping)
McGovern

We would've had a team that was middle of the table now and could've developed the younger players around them.

Instead we've been forced to go in full rebuild mode.
And what did we get in return for those players leaving..??

Bent over with no lube.

And what did we get in return for those players leaving..??

Bent over with no lube.

Greenwood annoys me. I wasn't opposed to trading him if we could get a good return for him. But my bar for "good return" was a 2nd round pick. For a future 3rd and 4th like we actually got, I would have rather just kept him. We should probably be thanking our lucky stars that this year's draft is so stacked with academy / father-son prospects. It's questionable whether the draft will even go to the 3rd or 4th round (especially if list sizes get cut), so the only value those picks have are the points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back