Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s a safe approach. It wouldn’t be the approach Blight would take and he didn’t take with Macca.

Milera has played afl for 3 years. He excelled in the second half of 2018. He now believes in himself and we need his skillset in the middle. We have Smith back who can take that role.

Chuck him in and he could be the piece we need for 2019 but we won’t know if we are conservative.

I don't see it as a safe approach, I see it as a sensible approach

Milera is very much a confidence player and developing him as a future star of the game needs to be a measured approach

I agree, when we believe we’ve identified a special talent we tend to play them and as we must rate him to take him that high I think he will get some good opportunities and he should.

The question will be if we are at full strength at whose expense?

From our 2018 side, given his role he’s competing for a spot with Galluci, Douglas, Mackay, Knight, Atkins and Murphy.

He can’t play at the expense of Galluci and Knight, they are part of our future. Atkins will be given a chance and will have to be in poor form to be dropped. Murphy is an easy one as is Mackay. The hard choice will be if it’s between Douglas and Jones, will the club think of the future and go Jones?

Looking back on our 1997 GF team.....we played Simon Goodwin in this 10th AFL game (Jones in 2019 ???) ...the guy goes on to be our captain and a complete star.
Edwards starts 1997 with 29 games and comes off the bench in the GF.
McLeod starts 1997 with 34 games - (Milera ???)
Kane Johnson starts 1997 with only 2 AFL games !!!

All the guys go on to become house hold names and absolute stars.....it’s the elite youth mixed with established players that wins grand finals.

If Jones, Fog, Gallucci, Milera....and perhaps another recruit haven’t pushed out “established” non-elite players by September.....we won’t be winning any flag.

Those who said we would never win a flag with Mackay in the side were 100% correct.
I’d suggest we add Kelly, Atkins, Douglas and Hartigan to that list.

Akins can’t lay a tackle to save himself
Mackay is just a B grade player
Kelly can’t kick straight
Hartigan fumbles under presure
Douglas is becoming too slow (no fault of his own)

When opposition clubs exploit these weaknesses we bleed extra goals.

If we can upgrade these guys to young players with better skills, running capacity and intent....our bottom 3-4 players start looking highly dangerous....and it may well click like in 1997.

My thinking is if Atkins is our worst player.....we will do ok....but I’d still rather see a more complete player take his place.

Looking at the Bulldogs and Richmond flags it’s clear experience can be overrated.
I’d also suggest it’s been proven an Interstate club can’t have many weak links at all to overcome the “away game” disadvantage.

Milera is very much a confidence player and developing him as a future star of the game needs to be a measured approach
Who is to say half a year dominating at half back in 18 and then midfield in 19 isn’t measured?

Was Blighty not sensible when he swung Macca into the midfield?

Milera has worked it out with an excellent back end of 2018, so if he doesn't have the confidence/belief now, he's never going to have it. Also It's not like he needs the physical development either as he really has done the vast majority that he will do. If we want him to move to that position (and we do as an in/out midfielder is much more valuable then a outside midfielder), you must strike when the iron is hot. Right now the iron is hot.

The measured approach was right in 2017, leading into 2018. Now however, it's just pissing around with a high end talent. He's ready, lets see if he's the top 5 player most of us see in him.

Last edited:
Milera has worked it out with an excellent back end of 2018, so if he doesn't have the confidence/belief now, he's never going to have it. Also It's not like he needs the physical development either as he really has done the vast majority that he will do. If we want him to move to that position (and we do as an in/out midfielder is much more valuable then a outside midfielder), you must strike why the iron is hot. Right now the iron is hot.

The measured approach was right in 2017, leading into 2018. Now however, it's just pissing around with a high end talent. He's ready, lets see if he's the top 5 player most of us see in him.
Exactly

Dude, any team where Atkins is the worst player would be... an amazing bloody team.
Yes....the AFL is becoming a competition of the “Haves” and “Have Nots” .....I’m just glad we are in the former group.
Tigers adding Lynch and Melbourne adding May makes 2 top 4 teams even stronger.
The days of “carrying” one dimensional players with serious flaws in the best 22 are coming to an end.....if you want to win a GF that is.

not me

IMO we need Milera to establish himself at HB for one more season

Milera's 2nd half of 2018 was outstanding as he really started to believe that he not only belongs at this level but also that he can dominant and influence a game, prior to this form patch he was still finding his way in the team.

My concern is moving him to the midfield now could undo some of the foundations that have been laid late last year, I say give him another season at HB with some occasional bursts through the wing / midfield before moving him permanently to the midfield in 2020.

Playing Milera at HB in 2019 will allow him to truly establish his game before taking on a bigger role in 2020

I think that is the ideal approach. But if we take a less conservative approach, we could get a better outcome. We have that role covered, not only through Laird and Smith, but with the resting midfielder out of Sloane and Gibbs. Given the pieces that we have on our board its a risk-reward situation that needs to be weighed up. I do think its a tad early for Wayne, so I think it would be good to start the season at half back and get him up and firing and then gradually give him more minutes over the course of the season with a view to have him permanently in the midfield by this years finals series if he is up to it.

I do think its important that we let him pick up where he left off and get that confidence up.

I think that is the ideal approach. But if we take a less conservative approach, we could get a better outcome. We have that role covered, not only through Laird and Smith, but with the resting midfielder out of Sloane and Gibbs. Given the pieces that we have on our board its a risk-reward situation that needs to be weighed up. I do think its a tad early for Wayne, so I think it would be good to start the season at half back and get him up and firing and then gradually give him more minutes over the course of the season with a view to have him permanently in the midfield by this years finals series if he is up to it.

I do think its important that we let him pick up where he left off and get that confidence up.
Flip that around and we also have the pieces in the midfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes....the AFL is becoming a competition of the “Haves” and “Have Nots” .....I’m just glad we are in the former group.
Tigers adding Lynch and Melbourne adding May makes 2 top 4 teams even stronger.
The days of “carrying” one dimensional players with serious flaws in the best 22 are coming to an end.....if you want to win a GF that is.

Becoming? It has always been a competition of the haves and the have nots.

All competitions are that.

According to Brodie Smith hes flying. Hope he gets a good run tomorrow.

Gunning it up...will play round 1 all going well.
Is this opinion or coming from info? Will be interesting to see how they fit him in if that’s the case and who makes way giving the healthy state of our best 22

Is this opinion or coming from info? Will be interesting to see how they fit him in if that’s the case and who makes way giving the healthy state of our best 22

You would think he would be on the bench. Cant see him owning a position this early?

If we had a fully fit 22 its hard to see him in there, but he wouldnt be far away from what ive been told

Remove this Banner Ad

Back