Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
The point is Douglas can't get back to that form. He's been in a steady decline the last two seasons and he's now cooked.

It's not a matter of "if he just gets back to that form". In 2017 Thommo was never going to be able to get back to his best and it's the same with Douglas now

2017, our GF year, and just 1 season back, he finished top 5 in the best and fairest. Very close to 3rd

Hard to say he’s cooked or he’s been in decline for a couple of years

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Learn to respect an opinion. You do it well during the offseason, why can't you do it during the onseason?

You made a statement of fact that players were slipping and sliding due to the very wet conditions. That was a fabrication in order to support a flawed opinion. Don’t make s**t up and get huffy about people knowing it’s rubbish and calling you on it. And, not all opinions are equal, I don’t need to respect them, that’s sheer stupidity.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
If sauce plays like that all year I’ll be happy as it’s above expectations

My main concern is if his back goes and form deteriorates we’ll do exactly what we did with 2016 Thommo who’s body had clearly failed him. Senior players with years of high performance don’t start the year in the 1’s and then end in the 2’s unless they’ve chosen to continue playing instead of retirement. This is a convo undoubtably had with Thommo and Mackay who extended their contracts into their SANFL year. But I doubt the same has occurred with Dougie and Sauce who I’m pretty sure are in the final year of 3 year deals. If they extend into 2020, they’ll play lots of SANFL, but I doubt either will play any this year at all. I’ll be thrilled to be wrong, assuming form warrants their removal from the 1’s.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
No problem with the risk/reward component; but I think people are getting a little carried away with his potential, given he hasn't proven anything yet.
He just happened to be drafted to a club chock full of small forwards, most.of whom could push into midfield.

Kicked 5 against Norwood on Friday night, but he really does need to work on his fitness. Don't discount what having Eddie Betts around will do for these kids.

If he works hard he'll make it

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
My main concern is if his back goes and form deteriorates we’ll do exactly what we did with 2016 Thommo who’s body had clearly failed him. Senior players with years of high performance don’t start the year in the 1’s and then end in the 2’s unless they’ve chosen to continue playing instead of retirement. This is a convo undoubtably had with Thommo and Mackay who extended their contracts into their SANFL year. But I doubt the same has occurred with Dougie and Sauce who I’m pretty sure are in the final year of 3 year deals. If they extend into 2020, they’ll play lots of SANFL, but I doubt either will play any this year at all. I’ll be thrilled to be wrong, assuming form warrants their removal from the 1’s.
When Sauces back went so did ROBs shoulder, then Hunter not long after.

We would have given ROB games last year if we could have, there's no question about it.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
He just happened to be drafted to a club chock full of small forwards, most.of whom could push into midfield.

Kicked 5 against Norwood on Friday night, but he really does need to work on his fitness. Don't discount what having Eddie Betts around will do for these kids.

If he works hard he'll make it
Did McAdam play in the SANFL game last Friday night? If yes, any idea how he went?

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
You made a statement of fact that players were slipping and sliding due to the very wet conditions. That was a fabrication in order to support a flawed opinion. Don’t make s**t up and get huffy about people knowing it’s rubbish and calling you on it. And, not all opinions are equal, I don’t need to respect them, that’s sheer stupidity.
I was being creative with my wordings, I remembered it was cold and wet. Checked the temperature forecast on that date - 10 degrees (Friday 7/7/17). Here was a pic found of Thommo in his last game.
1552597040134.jpeg

Gee, am I being totally delusional recalling it a wet, slippery kind of game? Anyone can be *en rude, it ain’t hard dick head!

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
When Sauces back went so did ROBs shoulder, then Hunter not long after.

We would have given ROB games last year if we could have, there's no question about it.
That was our luck in a nutshell for 2018. Injuries were happening left, right and centre!
Whether Sauce is in form or not, I would hope he does get rested and Rob and/or Hunter gets some games. Highly unlikely with Sauce for him to carry out a whole season without resting, and peaking around September.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
I was being creative with my wordings, I remembered it was cold and wet. Checked the temperature forecast on that date - 10 degrees (Friday 7/7/17). Here was a pic found of Thommo in his last game.
View attachment 635250
Gee, am I being totally delusional recalling it a wet, slippery kind of game? Anyone can be ****en rude, it ain’t hard dick head!

For Christ sake John, just admit you were wrong, and move on.

You fight every battle, no matter how wrong you are :drunk:

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

I sometimes used descriptive/creative wordings and I’m being picked on as stating matter of facts by the usual crew. We are merely discussing opinions. No obvious right or wrong here.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

no one is right or wrong its purely opinion based

like sauce over ROB, sauce clearly has runs on the board and has shown he is capable of AA status are his days numbered? Maybe, Is ROB Capable maybe not, Pyke will decide, after all his balls are on the line not yours or mine, no different with Douglas and Jones but probably easier to call on that one Jones is only in his first year, and a similar situation with Harto and Keath

How does he handle Fog, does he believe Tex is on the decline or Eddie he hasn't got a fountain of youth either.

Can all these older players squeeze another great year out and repeat 2017 or do we need to develop, only one person will make that call in Pyke which is why he gets paid the big bucks.

After all Mackay gets games because Pyke believes he will add to the team

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

The best one was when he denied saying we were ruthless about Thommo despite spending days arguing about it

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
no one is right or wrong its purely opinion based

like sauce over ROB, sauce clearly has runs on the board and has shown he is capable of AA status are his days numbered? Maybe, Is ROB Capable maybe not, Pyke will decide, after all his balls are on the line not yours or mine, no different with Douglas and Jones but probably easier to call on that one Jones is only in his first year, and a similar situation with Harto and Keath

How does he handle Fog, does he believe Tex is on the decline or Eddie he hasn't got a fountain of youth either.

Can all these older players squeeze another great year out and repeat 2017 or do we need to develop, only one person will make that call in Pyke which is why he gets paid the big bucks.

After all Mackay gets games because Pyke believes he will add to the team
Marty, you need to post more like this!
:D

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
The best one was when he denied saying we were ruthless about Thommo despite spending days arguing about it
I called it “ruthless enough”, you called it “not ruthless”. Opinions. You have more agreement and likes doesn’t mean I’m more wrong.

Btw, it may seem like I’m defending myself, but I’m defending for the right to have opinions so other posters are not fearing to post against the herd mentality.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I called it “ruthless enough”, you called it “not ruthless”. Opinions. You have more agreement and likes doesn’t mean I’m more wrong.

Btw, it may seem like I’m defending myself, but I’m defending for the right to have opinions so other posters are not fearing to post against the herd mentality.
You said “we were ruthless”

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
View attachment 635250
Gee, am I being totally delusional recalling it a wet, slippery kind of game? Anyone can be ****en rude, it ain’t hard dick head!
That was Thommo's issue - he needed to fall forward and drop his knees to get the high tackle / PIB free.
#freekickbulldogs

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Betts has always lacked that raw speed to be a top line defensive player. He's good enough at it that it won't cause issue due to his opportunistic side.
Yeah he led the league for tackles inside 50 in 16 & 17, and I’m pretty sure he ranks highly for pressure acts up forward.

So when you say he’s not great defensively you’re thoroughly deserving of a wat.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
2017, our GF year, and just 1 season back, he finished top 5 in the best and fairest. Very close to 3rd

Hard to say he’s cooked or he’s been in decline for a couple of years
I dont think its a matter of talent or form, I think its a matter of role for Dougie. Talent wise he's a very solid contributor, knows the systems, fit, strong bodied, and has really good skills. Its just what position do you put him that doesn't have multiple guys that are either more suited or can have a similar output with a higher future ceiling?

I've said for months that Dougie has Jack of All Trade's himself out of a defined role in this team. With a fit list he's struggling to be best 22 because of the list we've built around him.

Was bound to happen considering our last 3-4 FA periods and drafts! We brought in a bunch of mids, running players, HFF types, and high end draftees who's only way into the side is by supplanting guys like Dougie (Milera, McPherson, Seed, Gooch, Poholke, Davis, Fog, Gibbs, Jones, Ned, Stengle, McAdam, and even Hamill).

1552604007328.png

Back