Port Adelaide Magpies
2013 STATS
Comp
P K* H* M* G
SANFL Res.
15 9.2 3.8 3.6 9

*Average
The inside word
Lightly built small forward with excellent lateral movement and evasive skills. He takes on the game and the opposition at every opportunity. Loves to run and carry and possesses very good skills by both hand and foot. Competitive player with excellent footy smarts.

Young, Robert James
Preferred Name: Robbie
Born: 2 March 1995
Competition Total Games Total Goals
League 19 19
Total 19 19

Games (Select a game to view)
Date Competition Game Type Round Opponent Result Jumper Goals Points
30/03/2018 League Minor Round 1 Central District Lost 8 1 0
08/04/2018 League Minor Round 2 West Adelaide Won 8 1 1
15/04/2018 League Minor Round 3 Sturt Won 8 1 0
21/04/2018 League Minor Round 4 Norwood Won 8 6 0
29/04/2018 League Minor Round 5 Woodville-West Torrens Won 8 0 0
05/05/2018 League Minor Round 6 Adelaide Crows Won 8 0 2
19/05/2018 League Minor Round 7 South Adelaide Lost 8 0 0
26/05/2018 League Minor Round 8 Port Magpies Won 8 2 0
11/06/2018 League Minor Round 10 Glenelg Won 8 0 0
17/06/2018 League Minor Round 11 Central District Won 8 1 2
23/06/2018 League Minor Round 12 West Adelaide Won 8 0 0
08/07/2018 League Minor Round 13 Sturt Lost 8 1 0
14/07/2018 League Minor Round 14 Woodville-West Torrens Lost 8 0 0
17/08/2018 League Minor Round 18 Norwood Lost 8 0 1
25/08/2018 League Minor Round 19 Port Magpies Won 8 1 1
02/09/2018 League Elimination Final South Adelaide Won 8 1 0
09/09/2018 League 1st Semi Final Sturt Won 8 0 0
16/09/2018 League Preliminary Final Woodville-West Torrens Won 8 3 0
23/09/2018 League Grand Final Norwood Won 8 1 0

Robert YOUNG

2018 (North Adelaide SANFL)

Totals

• 19 games
  • 19 goals
  • 7 behinds
  • 2 times in best players list

Averages
  • 8.2 kicks
  • 2.4 handballs
  • 10.6 disposals
  • 3.1 marks
  • 4.4 tackles
  • 1.8 frees for
  • 2.1 frees against
  • 1.2 clearances
  • 58.26 DT points

2017 (Port Adelaide SANFL)

Totals

• 5 games
  • 9 goals
  • 5 behinds
  • 2 times in best players list

Averages
  • 13.6 kicks
  • 3.0 handballs
  • 16.6 disposals
  • 6.2 marks
  • 4.0 tackles
  • 2.4 frees for
  • 1.2 frees against
  • 1.0 clearances
  • 92.00 DT points

2016 (Port Adelaide SANFL)

Totals

• 12 games
  • 10 goals
  • 9 behinds
  • 0 times in best players list

Averages
  • 7.1 kicks
  • 2.0 handballs
  • 9.1 disposals
  • 2.8 marks
  • 2.5 tackles
  • 1.3 frees for
  • 1.5 frees against
  • 46.25 DT points

Sorry for the intrusion just wanted to congratulate you guys on picking up young. You know the fox commentators had no idea who he was when they pronounced robert so formally when he is known as robbie young.

Port adelaide had the pleasure of having him develop for a while in the SANFL and he was a fan favourtie. Regularly outperformed AFL listed players such ad Jake Neade and Karl Amon. Dont worry about the stats he is a low disposal high hurt factor type player.

We're so incredibly proud he got a chance at AFL level on our board just wanted to wish you guys and Robbie the absolute best i know he will do you proud.

For anyone wondering, he only played 5 games for the Port Magpies in 2017 because the SANFL's stupid rules prevent us from playing non-AFL listed players ahead of AFL listed players in the SANFL league side, and we had a charmed injury run all season, so he spent most of the H&A season in the reserves, not because he wasn't good enough to play SANFL seniors but because the rules wouldn't allow us to play him anywhere else.

He then came back for the SANFL finals and was one of our stronger performers over the 2017 finals series. This year he moved to North Adelaide and helped contribute to their SANFL premiership win.

Sorry for the intrusion just wanted to congratulate you guys on picking up young. You know the fox commentators had no idea who he was when they pronounced robert so formally when he is known as robbie young.

Port adelaide had the pleasure of having him develop for a while in the SANFL and he was a fan favourtie. Regularly outperformed AFL listed players such ad Jake Neade and Karl Amon. Dont worry about the stats he is a low disposal high hurt factor type player.

We're so incredibly proud he got a chance at AFL level on our board just wanted to wish you guys and Robbie the absolute best i know he will do you proud.

Thanks for that, nice to know. We’re all Robert Young who? :D
Sounds like he could be a very handy pick up.

Thanks to you and your cohort for giving the Port perspective

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats on picking up Robbie, have seen him play for the Magpies for a few years, then he went to North Adelaide (the amount Pt Adelaide can pay top up players is pitiful). He is a great guy, have had a few chats with him at the club. He is a quick small forward with some good goal sense. I often thought he outperformed many players on the senior list, was keen for him to get a spot on the main/rookie list. Delighted he has the opportunity to play AFL. Think you might have a sneaky gem here.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yep congrats on getting Robbie, I was disappointed when Port didn't rookie him last year after a few good years at SANFL level. He then proceeded to have a ripper year with North and deserves his crack.

Honestly his biggest weakness is his disposal. It is hit and miss. He is a kick across the body type player and that sorta kicking style and ball drop has always been problematic. Some kicks are outstanding, some are shanks. If his kicking was better he'd already be playing AFL. He has all the tools, speed, pressure, hardness, good mark, goal sneak, etc. He's also been outperforming other AFL listed small forwards for years.

He will be in your best regularly at VFL level, and I'd be surprised if he didn't crack an AFL game at some stage.

2013 draft prospect: Robert Young
Oct 20, 2013 5:38PM

Robert_Young_131125320.jpg

Robert Young takes on the game and the opposition at every opportunity
Position:
Small forward
Height:
178cm
Weight:
63kg
Born:
2/3/95
Home club:
Port Adelaide Magpies
2013 STATS
Comp
P K* H* M* G
SANFL Res.
15 9.2 3.8 3.6 9

*Average
The inside word
Lightly built small forward with excellent lateral movement and evasive skills. He takes on the game and the opposition at every opportunity. Loves to run and carry and possesses very good skills by both hand and foot. Competitive player with excellent footy smarts.

Really like this guy think will frighten a few backmen with his speed & aggression.

Suprised hasn’t been given opportunity earlier.

Wilkie also , only need a couple gems to shine would make huge difference.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/mess...t/news-story/8dbb4196b9474392ee71e3775e6ea8d0
Robbie Young did not test at the national or state combine – but the North Adelaide star will be at an AFL club next season.

St Kilda snared the 23-year-old goalsneak with pick No.67 at the national draft on Friday.

Young, who began his football career with Port Adelaide in the SANFL before switching to the Roosters this year, had a few conversations with the Saints after North won the grand final.

But Young refused to get ahead of himself because he missed out on AFL selection when he tested at the state combine in 2013 and was touted as a likely pick back then.

He said it came as a complete shock when the Saints picked him.

“I am a bit overwhelmed,” Young, of Paralowie, said.

“I thought I had a really good year (with North), but I didn’t really know what was going to happen.

“I just had to play the waiting game and hope for the best.

“I am absolutely thrilled that St Kilda is giving me an opportunity at the next level.”

Young kicked 19 goals from 19 games in his inaugural campaign with the Roosters after 41 matches at Port Adelaide.

He also lit up the field in North’s grand final victory over Norwood at Adelaide Oval with his pressure acts – and booted a crucial goal.

Young was, however, forced to deal with personal misfortune this year following the deaths of his foster sister, Colleen, and his uncle, Clem, within a week of each other in April.

But he never lost sight of his AFL dream and continued to work hard to give himself the best opportunities.

“I dreamt of making the AFL as a kid and now it’s a reality,” Young said.

“All I have to do now is put in the hard yards back on the track and hopefully get picked for round one – that’s the next goal I am setting myself.

“It’s not how many touches I get in a game, or how many goals I kick, it’s more about the tackles, the pressure acts and forcing turnovers.”

Young will travel to Melbourne this weekend to meet his new teammates and coaches.

He is leaving his five-year-old daughter, Nayari, in Adelaide with her mother but he is keen to make his family, friends and fans proud.

Thankyou very much for the information there, he could be a bit of a hidden gem for us. Great post. Best of luck for 2019.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back