Welcome Rookie Draft Pick #21 - Ben Crocker

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely amazes me how none of you are employed by AFL clubs as recruiters....

:rolleyes:

I would have been if work didn't get in the way, and then work fell through meaning there was no reason for me to miss out. Still bitter about it to this day.

It’s not to do with whether they have been on a list before, it’s to say that 22 isn’t old in footy terms and there’s plenty of development left.

Both were good U18 players as well, sometimes a 2nd chance is exactly what they need to kickstart their career again.

No, development has everything to do with being on a list. There isn't much development left in a 22 year old who has spent four years on a list as a large portion of development is from being in a professional environment, putting on weight, getting fitter etc.

Keays is an interesting project; don't get me wrong. The question is more are we able to use his skills in a way Brisbane didn't, or more likely, weren't able too, and if we do that end up snowballing into being a reliable long term piece, but tool wise, what he is now is what he'll always be.

Last edited:
And Keays was stuck behind Lyons... who we effectively got rid of.

I could stomach going with one of them but two take two minimal upside known entities is a waste IMO.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat with two is a waste. Whilst this draft really fell apart after 40, surely there was another kid like Gollant who we thought could blossom into something instead of going for two 4 year players.

That said, it does indicate we don't have a lot of faith in our small/med forwards at this point.

No, development has everything to do with being on a list. There isn't much development left in a 22 year old who has spent four years on a list as a large portion of development is from being in a professional environment, putting on weight, getting fitter etc.

Keays is an interesting project, don't get me wrong, the question is more are we able to use his skills in a way Brisbane didn't, or more likely, weren't able too, and if we are does that end up snowballing into being a reliable long term piece, but tool wise, what he is now is what he'll always be.
Don't your two paragraphs contradict each other slightly ??

Don't your two paragraphs contradict each other slightly ??

Not really, it just comes down to the battle coaches face with most player. Finding a set up where they can make the most of what they have.

Neither Crocker or Keays are going to improve much as footballers. They can, however, find better performance from being in a set up which covers their deficiencies and supports their strengths.

He's not AFL standard.

Be an OK SANFL player, he's essentially another Riley Knight.

Unless our aim was simply to strengthen the SANFL team for a year then this is a waste of a pick.

it is interesting that we seem to have picked up delisted depth from contending clubs when we’re in a sort of rebuild phase.

Who locked Hamish in the cupboard during the rookie draft to stop him taking O’Neill?

Simple. We have an abundance of sub-183ish cm mids on our list already and our last 4 picks (2 in ND, 2 in RD) were always going to be based on list needs.

Our needs were tall mids and medium half forward flankers.

We addressed them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really, it just comes down to the battle coaches face with most player. Finding a set up where they can make the most of what they have.

Neither Crocker or Keays are going to improve much as footballers. They can, however, find better performance from being in a set up which covers their deficiencies and supports their strengths.
But a building of confidence, can do wonders to a players game ....doesn't that improve them ala Seedsman ?

Can we actually play rookies in the AFL side without someone coming off the senior list first?

Yes I know Wikipedia is not necessarily the final authority, but it says this:

Rookie listed players are not eligible to play in AFL home-and-away or finals matches unless they are elevated to the senior list, either to replace a retired player or a player with a long-term injury.

If that's the case, these guys are definitely depth players, and let's hope that we don't have a Doedee like R1 catastrophe again.

it is interesting that we seem to have picked up delisted depth from contending clubs when we’re in a sort of rebuild phase.
This is the thing, I can handle taking these guys as they come from good clubs. We aren't getting St Kilda or GC cast offs.

Can we actually play rookies in the AFL side without someone coming off the senior list first?

Rookie listed players are not eligible to play in AFL home-and-away or finals matches unless they are elevated to the senior list, either to replace a retired player or a player with a long-term injury.

If that's the case, these guys are definitely depth players, and let's hope that we don't have a Doedee like R1 catastrophe again.

It changed a couple of years ago for Category A rookies. See 10.16 (a) on page 64 of https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/AFL Rules effective 9 May 2019.pdf

But a building of confidence, can do wonders to a players game ....doesn't that improve them ala Seedsman ?

Somewhat, but that's a rather temporary improvement seeing confidence/form fluctuates.

I wouldn't consider confidence as a part of the development sphere. More again leaning on structures.

As others have said, the rules have changed in the last two years. All of Murphy's games for us up to this point were him as a rookie (he's now on the Senior List). CEY was also on our rookie list the past couple of years and regularly playing AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back