Welcome Rookie Draft Pick #21 - Ben Crocker

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I'm in the same boat with two is a waste. Whilst this draft really fell apart after 40, surely there was another kid like Gollant who we thought could blossom into something instead of going for two 4 year players.

That said, it does indicate we don't have a lot of faith in our small/med forwards at this point.
That's a point

I wonder if this is curtains for McAdam and Stengle?

That's a point

I wonder if this is curtains for McAdam and Stengle?

As well as Knights, Davis etc. I dunno, but it certainly isn't a ringing endorsement for any of them.

Also potentially Mackay seeing going through the Collingwood thread he's apparently more suited to being winger who lacks tools, but works super hard and is good for a clubs culture. That truly concerns me.

I was hoping Matthews got a gig, but let's see if he can force his way into the team

You've watched him, do you rate him to make AFL level, or is he solid depth?

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not as a small forward, which is what we played him as every time he got a senior game. He played on the wing in the VFL this year and was far and away our best performer in the twos - there was barely a week he wasn't on the emergency list.

If you guys give him a shot on the wing he could be decent.

Not happy with this pick (even as a rookie). Flat out not AFL standard, can never forget the mare he had near end of the season where everything he touched turned to absolute poo. Strong body and and OK for SANFL but that's it. Has work to do!

Yeah, I'm in the same boat with two is a waste. Whilst this draft really fell apart after 40, surely there was another kid like Gollant who we thought could blossom into something instead of going for two 4 year players.

That said, it does indicate we don't have a lot of faith in our small/med forwards at this point.
Or we could have picked Taheny and rookied Gollant

Or we could have picked Taheny and rookied Gollant

So pick the kid we evidently don't rate (seeing we went for the speculative over him, twice), and give him a 2-year contract over the kid we do rate?

It's a bold strategy Cotton.

So pick the kid we evidently don't rate (seeing we went for the speculative over him, twice), and give him a 2-year contract over the kid we do rate?

It's a bold strategy Cotton.
Let’s see if our assessment on Taheny is the right one.

We’ve given a speculative player a 2 year contract who won’t be ready during that time. We then used a rookie spot on 2 players who couldn’t make it at their clubs. This whole “he was behind good players” is a loser mentality, instead of getting the guy who wasn’t good enough, take a punt on some youth who might end up being good enough.

Let’s see if our assessment on Taheny is the right one.

We’ve given a speculative player a 2 year contract who won’t be ready during that time. We then used a rookie spot on 2 players who couldn’t make it at their clubs. This whole “he was behind good players” is a loser mentality, instead of getting the guy who wasn’t good enough, take a punt on some youth who might end up being good enough.

We will. Mind you the odds are that both are delisted in four seasons.

The fact we took them shows there wasn't anyone who we thought was worthwhile left (which does match the whole draft ended up falling off a cliff at 40 vibe yesterday had). Equally no, it's common players get stuck in bad list situations. A recent Brownlow medalist was a testament to that in Mitchell who couldn't break through at Sydney. Lyons who is lighting it up at Brisbane is another example of a bargain basement pick who got games but was in a shithouse situation here.

Whilst I do doubt we'll add Keays and Crocker to that list, and I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out that both were picked for "cultural value" as both seem like good people who work hard, and to help keep us competitive in the SANFL whilst our kids develop (seeing winning is good for confidence and all that jazz), stranger things have happened. Whilst I do have time for these types of picks, as there are many paths to add talent to your list, it was one too many seeing both are very similar profile wise.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not representative of Taherny though. We rate Gollards ceiling higher (in fact going by Ogilive we rate it very highly), and there is no point getting caught with your dick in your hand trying to be cute. Especially as it is completely out of our control, whereas at least with top 30 picks, you have a good idea of what will occur.

If Taherny was available in the rookie, sure it's a fair assessment. He wasn't though. Close could be a good person to use.

The fact we took them shows there wasn't anyone who we thought was worthwhile left (which does match the whole draft ended up falling off a cliff at 40 vibe yesterday had). Equally no, it's common players get stuck in bad list situations. A recent Brownlow medalist was a testament to that in Mitchell who couldn't break through at Sydney. Lyons who is lighting it up at Brisbane is another example of a bargain basement pick who got games but was in a shithouse situation here.

Whilst I do doubt we'll add Keays and Crocker to that list, stranger things have happened.
We have 2 players, one we overlooked, one we picked. We can definitely compare the 2. As I said time will tell if we made the right choice, let’s hope we did.

We have 2 players, one we overlooked, one we picked. We can definitely compare the 2. As I said time will tell if we made the right choice, let’s hope we did.

Yeah, I clued on to what you meant after I wrote that, and was hoping I'd beat you with the edit.

I like the mentality of picking a couple of 22 yr olds with some x-factor who will be busting a gut to push for senior selection .
It provides depth and hunger to the whole group ... let's see how it plays out .
If one makes it we have done well , how can anyone write them off before they have even touched the turf at the club .

Apparently the Giants were heavily into Gollant and he wasn't getting past their next pick.
I'm not buying that, Hamish picked him there because they rated his future growth as a footballer, whether that's right or wrong only time will tell.
Pretty sure Hamish's reasoning was if he went undrafted that he'd get invited back to the Calder Cannons 2020 program as an over ager due to his late birthday [September] and with the extra pre-season and natural growth to his body and game he'd be a much better player and other teams would be in competition. He's often mentioned both he and Rendell regretted not pulling the trigger the year before with both Rory Sloane and Luke Brown and how lucky they were to get a second chance I seem to recall.

It seems drafting 2 mature bodies in the Rookie Draft to support all our youngsters we've brought in the last 2 drafts was always the plan hence why they didn't wait until the rookie draft to pull the trigger on Lachie which makes sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back