Welcome Rookie Draft Pick #21 - Ben Crocker

Remove this Banner Ad

You need some strength in the SANFL or these young guys keep getting walloped each week and don’t develop
Nick Robertson would be an ideal player if that's what you are going for.
Great althete, hard worker and a big bodied mid...I wouldn't mind seeing him as our SPP pick up

I'm not buying that, Hamish picked him there because they rated his future growth as a footballer, whether that's right or wrong only time will tell.
Pretty sure Hamish's reasoning was if he went undrafted that he'd get invited back to the Calder Cannons 2020 program as an over ager due to his late birthday [September] and with the extra pre-season and natural growth to his body and game he'd be a much better player and other teams would be in competition. He's often mentioned both he and Rendell regretted not pulling the trigger the year before with both Rory Sloane and Luke Brown and how lucky they were to get a second chance I seem to recall.

It seems drafting 2 mature bodies in the Rookie Draft to support all our youngsters we've brought in the last 2 drafts was always the plan hence why they didn't wait until the rookie draft to pull the trigger on Lachie which makes sense.
Also said Lachie's brother is a big unit ....so the club as no concerns on his ability to add weight

You need some strength in the SANFL or these young guys keep getting walloped each week and don’t develop
Andy Otten last year was absolutely vital for the development of our young player last year, Butts and Sholl in particular improved out of sight.

Having an experience head on field giving you infomation is an excellent tool in development

Yeah I think since we got our own Sanfl team that we've selected the odd rookie purely to play in the Sanfl. I can't see the club ever admitting it for obvious reasons.

I don't think it's a bad strategy
That's crazy talk. Our SANFL side is to produce AFL players. I don't believe a SANFL premiership is in their thoughts. A club needs depth and pressure put on the first 22. That's why we failed the last few years as our mature players were rusted on at selection.

Yeah I think since we got our own Sanfl team that we've selected the odd rookie purely to play in the Sanfl. I can't see the club ever admitting it for obvious reasons.

I don't think it's a bad strategy
It's not even a bad strategy from the point of view of our AFL team. There's a reason youth always seems to develop better at top clubs despite them having weaker draft hands. Having AFL-caliber players around them means they can just focus on their spot, learning their craft and building into their position rather than needing to step up immediately into a key role because there's nobody else to do it. They also get to see how other (perhaps less talented) players approach training, the work rate and discipline required to make it at AFL level. And there's something to be said about being a part of a winning culture even when you're just in the reserves.

Obviously, it's ideal if the mature agers you bring in has some potential to improve into quality contributors at AFL level themselves.

Few Pies fans I know have all said the same thing about Crocker. Ripping bloke to have on the team, but questions on if he's good enough to make it.

If the worse case scenario for him is he's a great clubman who provides good support for a host of young players in our SANFL side then that's at least something I guess.

Few Pies fans I know have all said the same thing about Crocker. Ripping bloke to have on the team, but questions on if he's good enough to make it.

If the worse case scenario for him is he's a great clubman who provides good support for a host of young players in our SANFL side then that's at least something I guess.

The pies fans I spoke to prior to Seeds coming over said the exact same thing - what we do know that generally a change of environment and consistent game time generally help these type of players. I think both of these lads are going to be handy additions to the list.. albeit very left of field.

Seems like a genuinely nice guy, a very understated part of building culture is getting good humans in the club and by the sounds of it.. appears both of them hit the nail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The pies fans I spoke to prior to Seeds coming over said the exact same thing - what we do know that generally a change of environment and consistent game time generally help these type of players. I think both of these lads are going to be handy additions to the list.. albeit very left of field.

Seems like a genuinely nice guy, a very understated part of building culture is getting good humans in the club and by the sounds of it.. appears both of them hit the nail.
Seedsman won an Anzac day medal with 31 disposals and 14 I50 so they aren't in the same league.

Do tatts make a person faster, tougher, meaner?

Yes

This is a good pick, we're really recycling our list at the moment so what's the harm in getting an AFL hardened player so our kids aren't too exposed and hell if he makes it then some other AFL guy from the firsts can drop to the SANFL and assist

Yes

This is a good pick, we're really recycling our list at the moment so what's the harm in getting an AFL hardened player so our kids aren't too exposed and hell if he makes it then some other AFL guy from the firsts can drop to the SANFL and assist

Yes

So tatts make a person faster, tougher, meaner?

My first thought was, why didn't we grab 2 young kids instead of 2 delisted players, but I need to remind myself they are both 22 years old. So they aren't old.

I was surprised when BNE delisted Keays personally and don't know much about Crocker, but no harm is trying them both out. Can always delist in a year or 2 if they don't work, not that risky in terms of selections.

Not trying to come across as a know-it-all, but if you watched Seedsman play back in the day, you could tell he definitely had something to work with and some highly sought after AFL skills. He was just always struggling with persistent hamstring/hip injuries that he could rarely get on the park or do a PS.

I can't say I was Crocker's biggest fan during his time at the Pies, but hey if he cracks in and really drives up the competition for a HF spot and training intensity, then that's the very least we can ask for. Im not saying you have to select some purely for this, but high competition for spots is always a great thing to have amongst the players regardless. Considering we went with Keays as our first pick, to me that says a lot. So this very much seems like a depth pick to me, and I don't mind it given the landscape.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back