Danger in Texas

DID I STUTTER?
Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, East Side, Knights
Probably McKernan if talking specifically the rookie draft.

If you're also taking into consideration all delistings, I'd have (since McKernan):

- Jarryd Lyons (from GC to Brisbane)
- Trent McKenzie (from GC to Port)
- Ricky Henderson (from Adelaide to Hawthorn)
- Matthew Wright (from Adelaide to Carlton)
- Tim Membrey (from Sydney to St Kilda)
- Joel Hamling (from Geelong to Western Bulldogs)
- Mitch Robinson (from Carlton to Brisbane)
Yeah there's definitely a few DFAs that have done well. I can't see Keays having the success of someone like Membrey, Robinson or Lyons at their new club, but he's still young, at least

That said, if he turns out to simply be a midfielder that gets 18-20 disposals a game, plus can tag well, I'll be very happy to have him over the next few years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Seeing the above quote early on by BlackGun1 , I think we've all seen he was bang on the money. Hoping he's enjoying his footy here and can grow with the team.
100 percent would not be a guy that would jump ship if someone else gave him more money. I don’t think that will even be a scenario anyway, but is loving Adelaide and forming some great relationships. This club took a chance on him and he’ll keep repaying that.

BlackGun1

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Think everyone has hit the nail on the head in here as well. I think he’ll keep improving and picking up skills that will help him keep a foot in the door when the young mids catch up.

I think if he can continue to improve his kicking I could see him being a long term Wingman kind of like Mitch Robinson (but better ball use). Has the running power, enough speed (not quick but not slow) and very smart with where he needs to be.

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The mighty Panthers, GWV Rebels, Be

Nicks full of praise for “ultimate team player”

Adelaide coach Matthew Nicks has described rookie recruit Ben Keays as the “ultimate team player”.

Keays joined the Crows from Brisbane at the end of 2019 and has locked down a place in Nicks’ best 22 this season.
The versatile midfielder has played all but one game in 2020, spending time in the midfield and spells as the Club’s dedicated tagger.
“He’s had a fantastic year,” Nicks told The Optus Crows Show.
“From a fitting in point of view, he’s been a really important part of what we’ve been about.
“Our philosophy is about seeking the contest, and there’s not many better than Ben Keays.
“He’s played well and above our expectation, we couldn’t be more pleased with what he’s brought.”

Keays own beliefs reflect what Nicks has said about the 23-year-old.
“I’ve always been someone who is willing to put in the hard yards,” Keays said.
“I want to be one of the guys doing their best work when the game is on the line… I always want to contribute.
“It’s been a challenging year, but I’ve come out the other side and found some real positives.
“I think I’ve still got a lot of improvement to go (and) there is so much more growing I’ve got to do.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

robboaustralia

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool, San Antonio Spurs
So how many years do we give him? Two would be prob best for club but his manager would be pushing for three? One would be a slap in the face for what he has done this year.

SL16

Debutant
Oct 12, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just wanted to say, as you're probably already aware by now, that you guys have got a good one here. Always loved the way Keays has gone about it, plays hard and fair. Was annoyed whenever he got a game for us he was stuck in the forward 50 having minimal impact, felt he had more to offer. Great to see him getting a fair crack at it with you guys and thriving.

Reckon he'll only improve from here.

VictorianCrow85

Club Legend
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just wanted to say, as you're probably already aware by now, that you guys have got a good one here. Always loved the way Keays has gone about it, plays hard and fair. Was annoyed whenever he got a game for us he was stuck in the forward 50 having minimal impact, felt he had more to offer. Great to see him getting a fair crack at it with you guys and thriving.

Reckon he'll only improve from here.
Hope you are right, still pretty young so if there's more growth ahead there's probably a pretty solid role player there. Been impressed with his whole season, especially early on when most of our side was junk and he continued to put the 2nd and 3rd efforts in.

Top Bottom