AFL Club
Adelaide
Smith
Talia
Keays
O'Brien
Lynch
Doedee

That's how I'd have it. It will be heavily skewed as always by those that play every game. So far, that's Laird, Lynch, O'Brien, Brown, Talia and Jones

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The mighty Panthers, GWV Rebels, Be
Ben Keays is a workhorse player, not particularly skilled but his effort and intent cannot be questioned. Having him in amongst this young squad could be very very useful in their development (noting he is also young).
I disagree somewhat with your take on Keays, his only real weaknesses are he has no right foot (if he does I can't say I've ever seen it used) and he's pretty pedestrian speed wise.
Elite endurance, particularly good overhead for a player his size and usually a pretty reasonable left foot kick and very dangerous around goals. I think the fact that he was drafted as a midfield/forward and having played very limited midfield at Brisbane he just seems a little rushed in the midfield at this time, he's probably played more midfield this year than he has the last 3 years at Brisbane.

I watched a lot of his NEAFL games last year while watching a couple of the local lads that were drafted by Brisbane and he played up forward almost exclusively in every game and really rattled the scoreboard big time.
I reckon once he gets his midfield mojo fully back he'll continue to surprise us just how effective he can be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
No denying that Keays has given maximum effort this year and has been a rare ray of sunshine in an otherwise dismal year. But let's not start kidding ourselves that he's anything but (at best) a decent 18-24 ranked player in a good team. I don't think he's a great decision maker with ball in hand and his skills are average at best. He's fit, works hard both ways, and has shown he can do a job on an opposition mid but he's not IMHO a frontline mid in a decent team. He could perhaps make a good defensive half forward stopping an opposition playmaker and trying to kick 1-2 goals a week (showed in NEAFL he knows where the sticks are) but I'm hoping he's not playing on-ball in 2022 or else we're still in a world of hurt.

Golumless

I'm kind of a big deal on the east side
Jul 12, 2013
Wherever the ESH clubrooms are
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle, Rockies, Oceanics
No denying that Keays has given maximum effort this year and has been a rare ray of sunshine in an otherwise dismal year. But let's not start kidding ourselves that he's anything but (at best) a decent 18-24 ranked player in a good team. I don't think he's a great decision maker with ball in hand and his skills are average at best. He's fit, works hard both ways, and has shown he can do a job on an opposition mid but he's not IMHO a frontline mid in a decent team. He could perhaps make a good defensive half forward stopping an opposition playmaker and trying to kick 1-2 goals a week (showed in NEAFL he knows where the sticks are) but I'm hoping he's not playing on-ball in 2022 or else we're still in a world of hurt.
He'll be probably playing on-ball in 2022.

You know, I would have said the exact same thing about Jarryd Lyons about 4 years ago... I'd probably give 1-2 seasons before saying if he or won't he. After all, his last month has certainly been good enough to be a midfielder in a finals bound side. Lacking a little polish, but you do need bulls and so far, he's being an effective bull. Certainly the type who could find an effective niche in a very powerful side. After all, cheap and does all of the inside stuff is certainly a positive (and his skills/decision making will improve with being in a better side, because people will be capable of working harder and structures won't be as much of a mess).

hey shorty

TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
Where the Hills have eyes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
The ability he has forward means he doesn't necessarily need to be a frontline mid in a good side. Perfectly capable of being a change mid in one though.

He's young enough to improve still too.

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
He'll be probably playing on-ball in 2022.

You know, I would have said the exact same thing about Jarryd Lyons about 4 years ago... I'd probably give 1-2 seasons before saying if he or won't he. After all, his last month has certainly been good enough to be a midfielder in a finals bound side. Lacking a little polish, but you do need bulls and so far, he's being an effective bull. Certainly the type who could find an effective niche in a very powerful side. After all, cheap and does all of the inside stuff is certainly a positive (and his skills/decision making will improve with being in a better side, because people will be capable of working harder and structures won't be as much of a mess).
I hope he proves me wrong but I just see him as quite limited in a footy sense and someone that others will go past in a decent team.

Re Jarryd Lyons I always saw him as having very high footy IQ (so opposite to Keays) but limited athletically (unlike Keays) so I'm not surprised to see him fit into a high-performing team.

Shaunbkk

Debutant
Oct 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Talia
Keays / Rob
Doedee / Smith
Been following closely.. Talia, O'Brien, Doedee and Keays, top 4 but close on points Smith only played 2 good games. My worst ranked player (min 2 games) is Murphy.. quite sad to watch his efforts despite generally poor skills and ability.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I hope he proves me wrong but I just see him as quite limited in a footy sense and someone that others will go past in a decent team.

Re Jarryd Lyons I always saw him as having very high footy IQ (so opposite to Keays) but limited athletically (unlike Keays) so I'm not surprised to see him fit into a high-performing team.
Agree 100%

We're going bad enough thay Keays' strengths really shine - fitness, finds the ball, goes in hard. He's a ray of sunshine given that several team mates don't display any of these traits.

Hopefully we're better in a year or two and our players will get judged more harshly as more is expected of them. Will be interested to see whether Keays continues to raise his game or remains a good honest trier.

Golumless

I'm kind of a big deal on the east side
Jul 12, 2013
Wherever the ESH clubrooms are
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle, Rockies, Oceanics

I always suspected being athletically limited would have inevitably tanked Lyons into the dreaded "nice depth option, but not more much" role. Still, I'm rather happy I got proved wrong there. Always liked the guy.

I do suspect his footy sense will get to an average level around a better side (seeing it should make things easier) and after that, well, if he can shut down mids, and win his own ball, he could survive as a midfielder for a very long time in a very good side.

Thetrader15

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Been following closely.. Talia, O'Brien, Doedee and Keays, top 4 but close on points Smith only played 2 good games. My worst ranked player (min 2 games) is Murphy.. quite sad to watch his efforts despite generally poor skills and ability.
Brad would be up the top end too.

relapse

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
Rob would be up there. Think it would go Keays, Rob, dood, Talia
I agree, I think ROB would be close to being the front runner for the BNF at the moment.

Firstly because he is one of few players to have played every week and secondly because he is also one of very few who has consistently played their guts out every game.

He might not have the skills and ability of a Grundy or Gawn, but what he does have is a first class work ethic and a preparedness to put his body on the line every game without fail.

hey shorty

TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
Where the Hills have eyes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I agree, I think ROB would be close to being the front runner for the BNF at the moment.

Firstly because he is one of few players to have played every week and secondly because he is also one of very few who has consistently played their guts out every game.

He might not have the skills and ability of a Grundy or Gawn, but what he does have is a first class work ethic and a preparedness to put his body on the line every game without fail.
Thing in his favour is, apart from R1 he busted his gut and provided grunt. Almost no other senior player can say they've done that.

Keays first 2 games weren't great but he's improved quite a lot.

Top Bottom