Player Watch Ben Keays

Keays has improved significantly since his first couple of games with us. If he keeps improving at the same rate, who knows what he could become.

Yes, I realize I'm being heavily glass-half-full here.
He's definitely playing better than any games I can remember from him at Brisbane where he was a largely anonymous low touch role player

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
He's definitely playing better than any games I can remember from him at Brisbane where he was a largely anonymous low touch role player
How many of those games you remember watching was he playing in the permanent rotating midfield role?

AA playing midfield for the Qld at the 2014 Nationals.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Note also Harrison Wigg named as a defender but of course that's about the only spot we didn't give him a fair crack at..

Last edited:
How many of those games you remember watching was he playing in the permanent rotating midfield role?

AA playing midfield for the Qld at the 2014 Nationals.

View attachment 929757

View attachment 929767

View attachment 929773

View attachment 929737

Note also Harrison Wigg named as a defender but of course that's about the only spot we didn't give him a fair crack at..

The odds on you replying to my post with exactly this were $1.01

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The odds on you replying to my post with exactly this were $1.01
I'm pleased you did then I can mention one of the most astute recruiters in the business Sydney's Simon Dalrymple formerly at the Dogs bid on Keays in that draft which of course Brisbane quickly matched. Back in that time you would recall the shitshow that was Brisbane under Justin Leppitsch so not the best place for a young player to be developing.

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Team Captain
Apr 27, 2007
Funky town
AFL Club
Adelaide
Been our best midfielder this year. As we build our team we will hope he's not our number one midfielder, but could be a great role player for our next finals side. We should build our team with an eye for who we think will excell in finals football, and I can see his hardness being crucial in a final.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
He will do well in his current role or as a HFF once the midfield builds out. A goal kicking midfielder is bloody handy. Sloane, Crouchx2 struggle with that aspect with only Kaeys, Laird and Jones proficient goal kickers (and not big goal scorers anyway).

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Would be very close to leading our B&F at the moment, I thought he’d lay games this year but I didn’t think he’d be this consistent

Hope he can cement a place for us going forward

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Would be very close to leading our B&F at the moment, I thought he’d lay games this year but I didn’t think he’d be this consistent

What I liked is he stepped up agian when we played our best Midfield to close to equal with Matt, Brad and Laird. Last week he gave 4 decent Mids, allowing us to constiantly have a ball winner in the midfield throut the game. no matter what the rotation.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

I was always confident he was a worthy addition to our midfielder/forward rotations having watched just about every game he played in the NEAFL last year along with really rating him as a junior. Also gives you confidence when one of the absolute best and canny recruiters/scouts Simon Dalrymple when at the Western Bulldogs rated him high enough to put in a bid on him in his draft year

What I liked is he stepped up agian when we played our best Midfield to close to equal with Matt, Brad and Laird. Last week he gave 4 decent Mids, allowing us to constiantly have a ball winner in the midfield throut the game. no matter what the rotation.

Yup, it is definitely a positive when a player doesn't fall apart when challenged/a new addition was made.

Ben is certainly one to watch in 2021, is this a kid who is playing above himself or do we genuinely have one here? After all, he's responded very well to two separate challenges, firstly having to survive in a dysfunctional midfield and then had to respond to Rory Laird becoming a midfielder taking minutes/opportunities away.

That said, I am slowly becoming more confident that its all clicked for Ben and he has a pretty bright future here.

LittleCrowBoy

All Australian
Mar 4, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
He looks like our fittest player...let's hope that lasts with another Crows preseason looming.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Adelaide: Ben Keays

In an otherwise bleak season, former Brisbane player Ben Keays has been a shining light for the Adelaide Crows. In Tuesday night’s win against the Hawks, Keays was influential with 22 touches, nine score involvements and four inside 50s. Keays plays with flare and was willing to take the game on in critical moments, helping his side to their first victory of the season. He’s exceeded everyone’s expectations this season since being picked up as a Delisted Free Agent and is well placed to poll well in the Crows’ best and fairest award at the end of the season.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Adelaide: Ben Keays

In an otherwise bleak season, former Brisbane player Ben Keays has been a shining light for the Adelaide Crows. In Tuesday night’s win against the Hawks, Keays was influential with 22 touches, nine score involvements and four inside 50s. Keays plays with flare and was willing to take the game on in critical moments, helping his side to their first victory of the season. He’s exceeded everyone’s expectations this season since being picked up as a Delisted Free Agent and is well placed to poll well in the Crows’ best and fairest award at the end of the season.

Don't they teach them not to play with flares? This isn't soccer. ;)

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Brings effort every game which I love, I have seen him a few times with 2nd and 3rd efforts while his teammates look on, hands on their knees, totally gassed. Deserves an upgrade to the main list and a new contract for sure.

Yep, much respect for this guy - making the most of his 2nd chance & 100% effort at every contest.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Well, he has a defensive game for starters. Then can have a few touches and create something. But his defence game keeps him well in. Five metres or so in front of the others on turnovers because of work rate.

Schulzycrow

Footy never ends.
Apr 18, 2010
Land of Procrastination
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NorwoodFC, Chic Bulls, Gldn State
Been the find of the season.
Busted his gut when more experienced players were playing like auskickers. Will poll well in the B&F. Now that Mrouch has found his mojo again and Laird finally getting midfield minutes things aren't so doom and gloom midfield wise.

Back