Player Watch Ben Keays - Signs on til 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

When was the last time a side struck gold with a player previously delisted by another AFL club in the rookie draft?

Could it be McKernan to Essendon, ironically enough?

Ed Curnow has had a pretty good career with Carlton.

As an immediate family member I can assure you you’ve just drafted a guy who will give 110% every training session, treat every fan and staff member with respect and will be a huge addition to the locker room.

Not blessed with top end talent but has made the very most of what he has. Played some very good junior footy too and showed plenty of improvement at AFL level the last 2 years but couldn’t get a good run at it. Looking forward to jumping on board

A fair chance that he might have gratitude to the club that gave him another crack too. From a distance he seems like that sort of guy.

Seeing the above quote early on by BlackGun1 , I think we've all seen he was bang on the money. Hoping he's enjoying his footy here and can grow with the team.

When was the last time a side struck gold with a player previously delisted by another AFL club in the rookie draft?

Could it be McKernan to Essendon, ironically enough?
He filled a void but wouldn't call it striking gold but doing well in an average side.

Last edited:
Exactly. We've been missing his type of player for a number of years now. We tried to make Knight that guy, but he couldn't hack it. Unlike Riley, Keays can consistently win a lot of his own ball, too

He'll be a mainstay for a few years, at least, IMO

And, he’s a left footer. Which for some reason really appeals to me

Probably McKernan if talking specifically the rookie draft.

If you're also taking into consideration all delistings, I'd have (since McKernan):

- Jarryd Lyons (from GC to Brisbane)
- Trent McKenzie (from GC to Port)
- Ricky Henderson (from Adelaide to Hawthorn)
- Matthew Wright (from Adelaide to Carlton)
- Tim Membrey (from Sydney to St Kilda)
- Joel Hamling (from Geelong to Western Bulldogs)
- Mitch Robinson (from Carlton to Brisbane)
Yeah there's definitely a few DFAs that have done well. I can't see Keays having the success of someone like Membrey, Robinson or Lyons at their new club, but he's still young, at least

That said, if he turns out to simply be a midfielder that gets 18-20 disposals a game, plus can tag well, I'll be very happy to have him over the next few years

Think everyone has hit the nail on the head in here as well. I think he’ll keep improving and picking up skills that will help him keep a foot in the door when the young mids catch up.

I think if he can continue to improve his kicking I could see him being a long term Wingman kind of like Mitch Robinson (but better ball use). Has the running power, enough speed (not quick but not slow) and very smart with where he needs to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So how many years do we give him? Two would be prob best for club but his manager would be pushing for three? One would be a slap in the face for what he has done this year.

Just wanted to say, as you're probably already aware by now, that you guys have got a good one here. Always loved the way Keays has gone about it, plays hard and fair. Was annoyed whenever he got a game for us he was stuck in the forward 50 having minimal impact, felt he had more to offer. Great to see him getting a fair crack at it with you guys and thriving.

Reckon he'll only improve from here.

Just wanted to say, as you're probably already aware by now, that you guys have got a good one here. Always loved the way Keays has gone about it, plays hard and fair. Was annoyed whenever he got a game for us he was stuck in the forward 50 having minimal impact, felt he had more to offer. Great to see him getting a fair crack at it with you guys and thriving.

Reckon he'll only improve from here.
Hope you are right, still pretty young so if there's more growth ahead there's probably a pretty solid role player there. Been impressed with his whole season, especially early on when most of our side was junk and he continued to put the 2nd and 3rd efforts in.

Just want to say thank you on behalf of all Brisbane Lions fans for taking on Ben Keays.

He never got a proper chance at the Lions, but as an academy kid, he was always considered “one of us”.
He was honestly one of our better players week in week out when we were getting smashed 0-13 period, says a lot about him. Obviously has great character in him, does he have any leadership abilities? Can see him becoming a leader at our club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back