Trent Dumont (Past Player)

Remove this Banner Ad

Power recruit’s role was “a bit blurred” at the Kangaroos

Port Adelaide recruit Trent Dumont believes his best footy is ahead of him after being delisted by North Melbourne.

Dumont was handed an AFL lifeline by the Power, snapping up the wingman with pick No.14 in last week’s National Rookie Draft.

The 26-year-old admits his role was “a bit blurred” at the Kangaroos.

“I sat down with ‘Nobes’ (David Noble) and Brady Rawlings at the end of the year and they asked me if I felt my best footy was elsewhere – and I did.

“That was how that all came to fruition.”

Dumont will have a dual wing-inside midfield role at the Power and will be given a greater licence to get up and down the ground.

“The change that Nobes made this year was I wasn’t really allowed inside 50 to make my man accountable,” the former Roos vice-captain said.

“I did watch a lot of Port in the second half of the year because I was looking at clubs that I would potentially like to play for – Port was one of them.

“The way their wingers run the lanes and get up and down the ground, that’s how I’ve played on the wing in the past.”

Pardon the intrusion.

Just wanted to give some feedback from a north perspective on my man Froggy.

He is a fantastic teammate, all round good bloke and is the type of player when given a role for the team will give it his absolute best. IMO he was unfairly delisted by north and he would EASILY still be best 22 at north for at least a couple of more seasons.

Far too often for north he has had to sacrifice his own game for the benefit of the development of our younger mids. In the last 4 years while we haven’t been in contention a lot of the defensive running and accountability has been left to him. For the most part, no one from north comes close to covering the amount of k’s he does, often at high intensity providing an outlet for our defenders, or pushing hard defensively to be accountable for other teammates direct opponents. A selfless role that goes unnoticed far too often by punters that only look at the stat sheet.

After two fantastic seasons in 2019 & 2020, he had a bit of a down year this year off the back of no pre-season/long term calf injury and an altered role in the side with David Noble. I don’t think Froggy clicked with Noble as he was dropped from the leadership ground despite finishing in the top 3 of our best and fairest in 2020.

Under Brad Scott and Rhys Shaw he played predominantly as a defensive wingman, but his running capacity allowed him to accumulate possession around the ground. Those two coaches gave him More freedom to get involved in transition, Whereas Noble purely wanted him to play defensive and tight to his opponent (thus every stat dropped away in 2021 compared to his previous 3 seasons).

As a winger/tagger he is accountable, but offers limited run and carry because he is a little bit one paced, but I believe he makes up for that with his good footy IQ. When given the chance to play in the centre square he was a decent contested/inside mid but he was never truly given an extended period in there to flourish.

Froggy isn’t a flashy or line breaking type (as witnessed by his highlight reel) but more a dour, reliable player who can nullify his opponent but still find the footy himself. IMO there is still plenty of scope for development left in his game, particularly as a genuine midfielder.

His kicking inside 50 & around the ground is generally very reliable, while kicking under pressure can be a bit rushed. Really neat by hand particularly around the stoppages.

I wouldn’t imagine he is going to be best 22 player for you guys, but he’ll easily provide some excellent depth for injuries and also provide some leadership for your young developing players. He is a professional trainer and pretty switched on off the field.

Wish him nothing but the best because he always gave 100% when he put the north jumper on.

Last edited:
When given the chance to play in the centre square he was a decent contested/inside mid but he was never truly given an extended period in there to flourish.
At SANFL level there is an opportunity there in the middle because we've had so many flankers playing in the midfield. Even at AFL level our inside mid depth doesn't bat too deep.

Pardon the intrusion.

Just wanted to give some feedback from a north perspective on my man Froggy.

He is a fantastic teammate, all round good bloke and is the type of player when given a role for the team will give it his absolute best. IMO he was unfairly delisted by north and he would EASILY still be best 22 at north for at least a couple of more seasons.

Far too often for north he has had to sacrifice his own game for the benefit of the development of our younger mids. In the last 4 years while we haven’t been in contention a lot of the defensive running and accountability has been left to him. For the most part, no one from north comes close to covering the amount of k’s he does, often at high intensity providing an outlet for our defenders, or pushing hard defensively to be accountable for other teammates direct opponents. A selfless role that goes unnoticed far too often by punters that only look at the stat sheet.

After two fantastic seasons in 2019 & 2020, he had a bit of a down year this year off the back of no pre-season/long term calf injury and an altered role in the side with David Noble. I don’t think Froggy clicked with Noble as he was dropped from the leadership ground despite finishing in the top 3 of our best and fairest in 2020.

Under Brad Scott and Rhys Shaw he played predominantly as a defensive wingman, but his running capacity allowed him to accumulate possession around the ground. Those two coaches gave him More freedom to get involved in transition, Whereas Noble purely wanted him to play defensive and tight to his opponent (thus every stat dropped away in 2021 compared to his previous 3 seasons).

As a winger/tagger he is accountable, but offers limited run and carry because he is a little bit one paced, but I believe he makes up for that with his good footy IQ. When given the chance to play in the centre square he was a decent contested/inside mid but he was never truly given an extended period in there to flourish.

Froggy isn’t a flashy or line breaking type (as witnessed by his highlight reel) but more a dour, reliable player who can nullify his opponent but still find the footy himself. IMO there is still plenty of scope for development left in his game, particularly as a genuine midfielder.

His kicking inside 50 & around the ground is generally very reliable, while kicking under pressure can be a bit rushed. Really neat by hand particularly around the stoppages.

I wouldn’t imagine he is going to be best 22 player for you guys, but he’ll easily provide some excellent depth for injuries and also provide some leadership for your young developing players. He is a professional trainer and pretty switched on off the field.

Wish him nothing but the best because he always gave 100% when he put the north jumper on.
He sounds exactly like Sutcliffe and we can probably expect a similar return.

He sounds exactly like Sutcliffe and we can probably expect a similar return.
He had three top 5 finishes in North's B&F in a row prior to this year. He's miles better than Sutcliffe.

Dumont is genuine AFL standard and should find a new lease of life at Port.

Sounds like he does what is best for the team and gives his all every time.

Looking forward to seeing what he brings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had three top 5 finishes in North's B&F in a row prior to this year. He's miles better than Sutcliffe.
I see him as another Jack Trengove tbh. Will dominate in the SANFL play out of position in the AFL and do OK but not enough to cement a spot.

Hopefully he is our Michael Barlow instead, but the fact we were only willing to rookie him says a lot to me.

At worst he'll help drive training standards and probably win a Magarey for his troubles. At best he gives us more options for an actual midfielder at AFL level rather than just flankers being shoehorned into midfield roles, which we very much need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back