Toast Welcome Rory Lobb

Remove this Banner Ad

Hahaha 60 goals as a ruck forward. Even the best ruck/fwds are only managing just over a goal a game.

If he can hit the 30 goal mark as I'll be a happy man. If Hogan can get above 40 goals aswell I'll be ecstatic!
For most of last year Hogan averaged 2.5 goals a game and in the first 12 games close to 3. He is capable of significantly more than 40 goals.

His structural importance is dismissed because of the blind hype for Hogan, who may not even play next year. :thumbsu:
Geez you should work in the medical industry. Clearly you have more medical knowledge on the Hogan injury than the medical experts who looked at has injury and cleared it of any significant damage. Nor to mention Hogan himself who said he would be running in two to four weeks at the time of the trade. Hogan's strength is that he can play both the roaming forward role, but also the quick leading forward deep leading forward role. Kinda like Tabs but with terrific leading pace. The notion that Lobb has more structural importance than a forward who can hurt you in as many different ways as Hogan can is about as absurd as it gets.

Last edited:
For most of last year Hogan averaged 2.5 goals a game and in the first 12 games close to 3. He is capable of significantly more than 40 goals.

He is, but he's also coming off an injury and will have a delayed start to his preseason. We don't even know yet if he'll suit up in the early rounds.

I don't think 40ish goals is an unreasonable expectation, no need to place undue pressure on him especially when we have other quality options who can share the load.

He is, but he's also coming off an injury and will have a delayed start to his preseason. We don't even know yet if he'll suit up in the early rounds.

I don't think 40ish goals is an unreasonable expectation, no need to place undue pressure on him especially when we have other quality options who can share the load.
Everything about the early diagnosis sounds very positive including what Jesse has said himself. Im not sure his preseason will be delayed much at all.

According to a physio at freo, Jesse started this week in the gym with the first goal to strengthen his calves after a lay-off.

The navicular has healed well and once his calves are ready, he will begin light jogging within 2 weeks. Apparently he’ll be training fully by Xmas.

Medical staff are stoked with how Lobb has fronted up and reckon he’s in tip top shape as he suggested in the presser.

Obviously best laid plans can be thrown out the window as we’ve seen in the past but we are definitely due for some luck on injuries.

Geez you should work in the medical industry. Clearly you have more medical knowledge on the Hogan injury than the medical experts who looked at has injury and cleared it of any significant damage. Nor to mention Hogan himself who said he would be running in two to four weeks at the time of the trade.Hogan's strength is that he can play both the roaming forward role, but also the quick leading forward deep leading forward role. Kinda like Tabs but with terrific leading pace. The notion that Lobb has more structural importance than a forward who can hurt you in as many different ways as Hogan can is about as absurd as it gets.

:huh:

Congratulations, you just demonstrated that you don't know what I'm talking and that you don't actually know what you're talking about either. I preferred the version of this post where you questioned my allegiance to this club and said I'm a troll.

This is almost as bad as the last time you quoted me. The trade period is over, I don't care about joining in the constant tail chasing back and forth discussions in the down-time. I've said enough on what I've thought about both players and am not going to constantly try and reinforce largely fact to change some online irrelevants' opinion.

So how about you calm your breathing, don't take the one comment among many by me regarding these players in isolation, the same one that was mainly delivered through sass and not entirely serious - and not blindly quote it just so you can have an opportunity to whine your rubbish surface argument. Idc! :thumbsu:

According to a physio at freo, Jesse started this week in the gym with the first goal to strengthen his calves after a lay-off.

The navicular has healed well and once his calves are ready, he will begin light jogging within 2 weeks. Apparently he’ll be training fully by Xmas.

Medical staff are stoked with how Lobb has fronted up and reckon he’s in tip top shape as he suggested in the presser.

Obviously best laid plans can be thrown out the window as we’ve seen in the past but we are definitely due for some luck on injuries.

Oh s**t. Not the calves....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bell explained in one of his interviews that the reasons Freo cooled on Hogan on the Friday of trade week included the fact that at that point no one can know how the navicular healed.

Until the scan that is due in a couple of weeks time, it doesn’t matter how well Jesse is training. There is the risk that he will have a year off.

Obviously the upside is enormous, and the risk of a three year deal and comparatively cheap trade is worth it.
But I will be very happy if and when Fremantle announce the all clear.

Bell explained in one of his interviews that the reasons Freo cooled on Hogan on the Friday of trade week included the fact that at that point no one can know how the navicular healed.

Until the scan that is due in a couple of weeks time, it doesn’t matter how well Jesse is training. There is the risk that he will have a year off.

Obviously the upside is enormous, and the risk of a three year deal and comparatively cheap trade is worth it.
But I will be very happy if and when Fremantle announce the all clear.

I'm glad Freo took the gamble on him. He may not play this year but Freo aren't exactly in top 4 contention however long term the gamble could pay massive dividends.

No point in being conservative during trade and draft periods.

Biggest factor in how these guys go after fitness is that they have never played together. We can't even confidently predict who might front up as preferred 3rd tall, and after Walters (who plays significant midfield time) our small forwards are equally unpredictable. Are we going with Ballantyne or .....? The idea that the worst part of our team is going to suddenly come together is optimistic.

I'm glad Freo took the gamble on him. He may not play this year but Freo aren't exactly in top 4 contention however long term the gamble could pay massive dividends.

No point in being conservative during trade and draft periods.
We have the depth required in key positions, and the luxury of playing Cox down back. That and Dixon developing and our
forward line has never had this much scope.
Just need to find more medium tall depth, and hopefully Medhat is that player.

Biggest factor in how these guys go after fitness is that they have never played together. We can't even confidently predict who might front up as preferred 3rd tall, and after Walters (who plays significant midfield time) our small forwards are equally unpredictable. Are we going with Ballantyne or .....? The idea that the worst part of our team is going to suddenly come together is optimistic.
I agree with you that one can’t expect instant synergy.

I have said this before - our forward line had no synergy, no structure, no tactics. The only way to improve under those circumstances is to have better players, which it seems we may have achieved. The forward line should be improved due to the better players. If we also find some sort of structure and tactics then we should be much improved.

I hope that Ross intends to have some experimentation in the forward line - different player combinations and usages, different tactics. Currently I feel we have one of the most simplistic, unstructured approach forward of centre in the comp. We need to work on that with practice in games, not by theorising over the summer.

I hope that Ross intends to have some experimentation in the forward line - different player combinations and usages, different tactics. Currently I feel we have one of the most simplistic, unstructured approach forward of centre in the comp. We need to work on that with practice in games, not by theorising over the summer.
I understand why you are saying that, but I probably hope we go in the opposite direction and try and identify the preferred make up of the forward line early, and then give them a solid shot at it. Sacrifice the experimentation in favour of locking down some basic forward strategies. If after 5 or 6 games something/someone isn't working, mix it up if the alternatives are showing something in the wafl.

I understand why you are saying that, but I probably hope we go in the opposite direction and try and identify the preferred make up of the forward line early, and then give them a solid shot at it. Sacrifice the experimentation in favour of locking down some basic forward strategies. If after 5 or 6 games something/someone isn't working, mix it up if the alternatives are showing something in the wafl.
I completely agree with you on 5 or 6 weeks to see if something works, then some change of things. Also agree on basic forward strategies. Everybody group at the hot spot and hope for the best is a bit too basic though.

I think we are like minded.

We have the depth required in key positions, and the luxury of playing Cox down back. That and Dixon developing and our
forward line has never had this much scope.
Just need to find more medium tall depth, and hopefully Medhat is that player.

I really need to watch more footage on Medhat. I'm no draft expert and won't pretend to be but it'll be interesting what Chris25 thinks of him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back