Toast Welcome Rory Lobb

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been alright. However, considering what we gave up for him, the coin he'd be on and the potentially stalled developments of Sean Darcy and Brennan Cox I do worry that this move hurts us long term. Not to mention that at 26yo this is probably as get as he's going to get.

anyone else share similar concerns? If we could find a way to fit all three of these guys in the team it would be apples, but with how good Tabs and Hogan are it's just not structurally feasible.

He's been alright. However, considering what we gave up for him, the coin he'd be on and the potentially stalled developments of Sean Darcy and Brennan Cox I do worry that this move hurts us long term. Not to mention that at 26yo this is probably as get as he's going to get.

anyone else share similar concerns? If we could find a way to fit all three of these guys in the team it would be apples, but with how good Tabs and Hogan are it's just not structurally feasible.

He was recruited as a ruck IMO. The whole bravado about wanting to play forward was just that. Bravado.

Darcy has a significant way to go to become a bone fida ruckman.

If Cox is as good as I think. He’ll work past McCarthy into the team by mid year.

He was recruited as a ruck IMO. The whole bravado about wanting to play forward was just that. Bravado.

If Cox is as good as I think. He’ll work past McCarthy into the team by mid year.

He's definitely more of a ruck than a fwd, agreed. And he's better than Darcy at this stage, but what about in 2 years? 5? I'm not sure the short-term upgrade is worth what we gave up.

Hope you're right about Cox, he is surprisingly mobile for his size and all-around very crafty so hopefully he can play up the ground as well as Cam. Displacing him by mid-year might be a bit optimistic though

He spent only brief periods in the ruck in the preseason training I saw over summer. Nearly all of his time as a forward. It would be pretty strange if they recruited him to ruck and then he trained nearly exclusively as a forward. Unlike some I think he's looked dangerous forward in the brief time he's spent starting there. Its just with Darcy so underdone he was needed more in the ruck after Darcy got smashed by Witts in the Gold Coast game. We've certainly done well in centre clearances overall since Rory's been our no 1 ruck.

Im sure others will disagree but I can still see Sandy having a major role in our end of the season. He'd only have to be as good as he's been in the last two years to be an important player. While I also think Lobb would dominate when going against a second ruck. With that in mind I think the Lobb, Hogan and Tabs forward line can also work. The key will be for Hogan and Tabs to get better at spacing where they lead. It was good against GWS and terrible against the Bulldogs where they seemed to be constantly getting in each others way. iF Hogan and Tabs improve their chemistry then I love the idea pf then adding Lobb to the mix as the deep option later in the year. Obviously, the tall forward line didnt work against Gold Coast. To be far though in that we had two new players in the forward line and one of those players hadnt played in a long time. Not to mention we also got smashed in the midfield. I still see potential in the tall set-up provided we also go with an extra small pressure forward rather than McCarthy compared to the team that played GC this year.

Last edited:

For me, the hard part is watching Rozee being amazing since we had pick 5 at one point. Personally didn't think Lobb represents the value we paid and he hasn't changed my mind. Is a decent player though (better ruck than Sean as it stands) and if Sturt ends up as good as Rozee it wont matter.

I think Cox will find his way into the team in time and at worst, we have outstanding KPF depth and/or significant trade currency.

I was always a bit meh about Lobb. Always like to get good players - but at the right price. He wasn’t a ‘must have’ for mine, but has done his job.

For me, the hard part is watching Rozee being amazing since we had pick 5 at one point. Personally didn't think Lobb represents the value we paid and he hasn't changed my mind. Is a decent player though (better ruck than Sean as it stands) and if Sturt ends up as good as Rozee it wont matter.

I think Cox will find his way into the team in time and at worst, we have outstanding KPF depth and/or significant trade currency.

Agree.

I think Sturt will be very good all things being equal, but I also think Roszee will be an absolute star.

Minor detail. The trade wasnt the pick that Rozee went for in exchange for Lobb and the pick used on Sturt. There was three Port trades that helped get the pick for Rozee as well and we wouldnt have got Hogan if we hadnt obtained the pick 23 that we got from Port originally. Rozee was only a possibility if we hadnt traded for Hogan.

Minor detail. The trade wasnt the pick that Rozee went for in exchange for Lobb and the pick used on Sturt. There was three Port trades that helped get the pick for Rozee as well and we wouldnt have got Hogan if we hadnt obtained the pick 23 that we got from Port originally. Rozee was only a possibility if we hadnt traded for Hogan.
Yes this is true, but I firmly believe we could have found another way to facilitate Hogan without losing both picks 5 and 6. The issue probably would have been Melbourne/Gold Coast insisting on 5 instead of 6.

The reason I am somewhat comfortable with it is purely because (assuming we manage the concussions) I believe Sturt is just as talented as Rozee but significantly less developed.

Yes this is true, but I firmly believe we could have found another way to facilitate Hogan without losing both picks 5 and 6. The issue probably would have been Melbourne/Gold Coast insisting on 5 instead of 6.

The reason I am somewhat comfortable with it is purely because (assuming we manage the concussions) I believe Sturt is just as talented as Rozee but significantly less developed.
I cant see how that could possibly be the case that we could have kept the pick 5 or 6 and got Hogan . I still think we got him by offering the absolute minimum Melbourne would have signed off on. To be honest. I think it would have likely that we'd look like idiots had we insisted on one eraly pick and Melbounre said no deal he'll stay for a year and we're trading him to anyone but Freo at the end of his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lobb has been fantastic for us- his work against GWS was a big factor in our win and been an excellent addition..
would love to see him fwd helping out in ruck which is where he should be which saves us playing 2 Rucks
Ross admitted he is getting banged up playing solo ruck so the sooner Darcy steps up the better
Mc Carthy was not pretty to watch last week disposal efficiency of 45.5% not good enough...kicking a pass on Matera's head 3 on 1 at on one stage..
Cox in asap for me

I cant see how that could possibly be the case that we could have kept the pick 5 or 6 and got Hogan . I still think we got him by offering the absolute minimum Melbourne would have signed off on. To be honest. I think it would have likely that we'd look like idiots had we insisted on one eraly pick and Melbounre said no deal he'll stay for a year and we're trading him to anyone but Freo at the end of his contract.
Obviously I don't know the details because it is purely hypothetical but future picks could have been involved. Not falsifiable either way so not sure it is worth arguing over.

Obviously I don't know the details because it is purely hypothetical but future picks could have been involved. Not falsifiable either way so not sure it is worth arguing over.
Yep not wortg argueing over. All im saying is I cant see how it would be possible. Cant see how even adding in an extra future first would allow us to get Hogan and keep the Rpzee pick.

Yep not wortg argueing over. All im saying is I cant see how it would be possible. Cant see how even adding in an extra future first would allow us to get Hogan and keep the Rpzee pick.
Just addressing the second point.

We traded 6 + 23 for Hogan and 60odd. Replace 23 with future 2nd and take out the 60odd to even it up.

Use 5 on Rozee. The problem that gives us is no picks in 2018 other than 5 so you can understand why we didn't do that.

Yeah can see where your concerns are coming from.
Whenever we’re discussing our tall fwd set up lobb can appear to be the elephant in the room aka we could play our desired fwd setup (without losing mobility) if we were to drop him and run Darcy as the main ruck)eventually long term plan)
Kinda leaves him in limbo if tabs continues his form in the forward line.

I actually think taberners good form has created just as many headaches.(good ones)
You can’t drop tabs to keep lobb in the team as a fwd but just as lobbs fwd craft is some what limited tabs back up ruckwork is not even up to passable.
(Simply he’s rubbish in the ruck)

Personally think Darcy development will be fine because he’s still got a ways to go but I do get a bit worried about coxs-because I really rate him and he’s already shown he’s good enough to be best 22 even at this stage.
-I also think structurally cam offers the fwd line a point of difference.

With all that said think we’ve been incredibly lucky to have him right atm-with Darcy struggling could you imagine who would be leading our ruck??...
Jones/meek..tabs ???.... yuk

I don't have a problem leaving Lobb in the ruck for the short-medium term. Darcy looks a little way off and that is fair enough for a 20yo ruckman. He could legitimately take another 2-5 years to become a B grade+ ALF ruckman. We are also going to have injuries so it is nice to know that the next KPF in isn't a scrub. Very healthy competition for spots.

Think Cox could be a good 3rd tall defender too. Bit slow for 1st or 2nd but to just read in the air and intercept I think he could do very well.

Lobb has been fantastic for us- his work against GWS was a big factor in our win and been an excellent addition..
would love to see him fwd helping out in ruck which is where he should be which saves us playing 2 Rucks
Ross admitted he is getting banged up playing solo ruck so the sooner Darcy steps up the better
Mc Carthy was not pretty to watch last week disposal efficiency of 45.5% not good enough...kicking a pass on Matera's head 3 on 1 at on one stage..
Cox in asap for me
McCarthy has kicked 10 goals 2 this season, when he takes a mark in the F50 he looks confident and wants the responsibilyty of kicking the goal. And in a team with accuracy issues this season after 1 bad game people want to dump him for a bloke that can't hit the side of a barn with a fistful of wheat?

I am suprised at Lobb's lack of sticking marks when forward; he was holding on to way more when at GWS and the stats show an extra mark and a half difference between now and 2016-2017.

If he was in form from a forward perspective then the talls would be IMO Hogan, Lobb and the third best tall (currently Taberner at a hairslength in from of McCarthy).

Lobb 14, 43 and 47 traded for 11 and 19 might not be 'cheap' (like we've gotten used to in a few deals recently) but it's hardly 'overs' either, seems reasonable to me.

Darcy and Cox I think are a tad overrated on here in that people act as if they are a 'lock' to be top level players, whilst I rate both and there is a promising chance of this happening this is also far from from certain, they could just still end up being pretty average players.

Lobb 14, 43 and 47 traded for 11 and 19 might not be 'cheap' (like we've gotten used to in a few deals recently) but it's hardly 'overs' either, seems reasonable to me.

Darcy and Cox I think are a tad overrated on here in that people act as if they are a 'lock' to be top level players, whilst I rate both and there is a promising chance of this happening this is also far from from certain, they could just still end up being pretty average players.

Fair enough. I tihnk Joao is right that when Sturt eventually takes the field and shows us some X-factor it will become a lot more bearable. We look to be tracking really well so maybe i'm just nitpicking to keep my expectations in check.

Yeah what we gave up for him I don’t think anyone could possibly call overs!??
-add to the fact he provides immediate competition for spots, thus depth which I think gets bit understated in terms of importance to the team in being able to play consistently week in week out.

Not a bad point actually , we do seem to assume they ll be locks.
Tho I think with Darcy it’s as much his structural importance than anything.

There’s actually very few “elite” rucks in the game today , lots of average ones and even more busts so even if he doesn’t become one of the leagues best I think we should be reasonably confident he ll at least be competent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back