Toast Welcome Ryan Abbott

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Has anyone seen him ply his trade?

Chris Scott strikes me as being very indifferent to ruckmen in general
Much like GT was! Don't think he rates them that high unless they are exceptional!
Actually Geelong don't rate clearances full stop, though that is bound to change as they have
Been exposed for their lack of work in this area in big finals in recent years!

Which is why he prefers to play those that are seen as as to having a few strings to their bow
Be it as a forward ala Stanley or a roaming mid like Blicsavs but neither are very good at Rucking!

I suspect that Ratten is not that dissimilar with his views on Ruckman, from what i have seen with
His teams in the past, though he does differ considerably when it comes to the importance of centre clearance work!
Ultimately the long and short of it means that Abbott will not only need opportunity through
Injuries to the big 2 but also be playing out of his skin as a roaming Ruckman to get close to a look in!

Sadly for him this is what he gets for having a namesake that was not only a terrible Prime Minister but a
Powerful andl damaging Blackness that was unveiled on the psyche of the Australian people with the unveiling of his Budgie Smugglers! 😫

Therefore i'm sure Ryan is aware that he too must understandably pay the consequences of any link! It's only fair!

gringo2011

Premium Gold
Nov 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Has anyone seen him ply his trade?

Chris Scott strikes me as being very indifferent to ruckmen in general
Much like GT was! Don't think he rates them that high unless they are exceptional!
Actually Geelong don't rate clearances full stop, though that is bound to change as they have
Been exposed for their lack of work in this area in big finals in recent years!

Which is why he prefers to play those that are seen as as to having a few strings to their bow
Be it as a forward ala Stanley or a roaming mid like Blicsavs but neither are very good at Rucking!

I suspect that Ratten is not that dissimilar with his views on Ruckman, from what i have seen with
His teams in the past, though he does differ considerably when it comes to the importance of centre clearance work!
Ultimately the long and short of it means that Abbott will not only need opportunity through
Injuries to the big 2 but also be playing out of his skin as a roaming Ruckman to get close to a look in!

Sadly for him this is what he gets for having a namesake that was not only a terrible Prime Minister but a
Powerful andl damaging Blackness that was unveiled on the psyche of the Australian people with the unveiling of his Budgie Smugglers! 😫

Therefore i'm sure Ryan is aware that he too must understandably pay the consequences of any link! It's only fair!

I have, he looks okay. Nothing special type. A bit like Longer at his best. Just a guy who hits the ball but not much else of any note. He's an adequate fill in if we get injuries.

StCicatriz

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 3, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I gotta be honest. I'm not a fan of the move. Feels very Rowe like. With the new rules I think we would have been better off taking another ruck when an LTI occurs.

Similar to Marsh and Mayo.

If not I think investing in a young 23 year old ruck would have been a better choice.

Personally would have rather taken Delucca.

saintbatty

Premium Gold
Nov 1, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I gotta be honest. I'm not a fan of the move. Feels very Rowe like. With the new rules I think we would have been better off taking another ruck when an LTI occurs.

If not I think investing in a young 23 year old ruck would have been a better choice.

Delucca, who Blues delisted after 6 months?

BrutThough

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

There aren't many ready to go, mature ruckman around just ready to be taken if there is an injury.

We either took Abbott on Friday or he gets re drafted by Geelong and we dont have a back up option..

gringo2011

Premium Gold
Nov 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

Rowe was a jack of all trades with no real ruck skill. He was a swingman but not a ruck. Abbott is at least a true ruckman.

L_W_P

Premium Gold
Sep 23, 2009
SE Suburbs
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints, Boston Celtics
Abbott not flash around the ground but he can win a hitout to our advantage. If we need him to play 4-5 games over the year while RoMa and Ryder rest up (Shanghai to Darwin looks the obvious spot initially) then our mids can plan accordingly.

The biggest weakness a ruck can have is being 50/50 in the hitouts. Either win the majority and let your mids get proactive in winning the first touch OR lose the hitouts and let your mids work on sharking the opposition while you lay blocks/tackles and get on your bike around the ground.

50/50 ruckwork leads to uncertain set ups and puts your team on the back foot before the ball is bounced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom