Toast Welcome Ryan Abbott

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone seen him ply his trade?

Chris Scott strikes me as being very indifferent to ruckmen in general
Much like GT was! Don't think he rates them that high unless they are exceptional!
Actually Geelong don't rate clearances full stop, though that is bound to change as they have
Been exposed for their lack of work in this area in big finals in recent years!

Which is why he prefers to play those that are seen as as to having a few strings to their bow
Be it as a forward ala Stanley or a roaming mid like Blicsavs but neither are very good at Rucking!

I suspect that Ratten is not that dissimilar with his views on Ruckman, from what i have seen with
His teams in the past, though he does differ considerably when it comes to the importance of centre clearance work!
Ultimately the long and short of it means that Abbott will not only need opportunity through
Injuries to the big 2 but also be playing out of his skin as a roaming Ruckman to get close to a look in!

Sadly for him this is what he gets for having a namesake that was not only a terrible Prime Minister but a
Powerful andl damaging Blackness that was unveiled on the psyche of the Australian people with the unveiling of his Budgie Smugglers! 😫

Therefore i'm sure Ryan is aware that he too must understandably pay the consequences of any link! It's only fair!

Has anyone seen him ply his trade?

Chris Scott strikes me as being very indifferent to ruckmen in general
Much like GT was! Don't think he rates them that high unless they are exceptional!
Actually Geelong don't rate clearances full stop, though that is bound to change as they have
Been exposed for their lack of work in this area in big finals in recent years!

Which is why he prefers to play those that are seen as as to having a few strings to their bow
Be it as a forward ala Stanley or a roaming mid like Blicsavs but neither are very good at Rucking!

I suspect that Ratten is not that dissimilar with his views on Ruckman, from what i have seen with
His teams in the past, though he does differ considerably when it comes to the importance of centre clearance work!
Ultimately the long and short of it means that Abbott will not only need opportunity through
Injuries to the big 2 but also be playing out of his skin as a roaming Ruckman to get close to a look in!

Sadly for him this is what he gets for having a namesake that was not only a terrible Prime Minister but a
Powerful andl damaging Blackness that was unveiled on the psyche of the Australian people with the unveiling of his Budgie Smugglers! 😫

Therefore i'm sure Ryan is aware that he too must understandably pay the consequences of any link! It's only fair!

I have, he looks okay. Nothing special type. A bit like Longer at his best. Just a guy who hits the ball but not much else of any note. He's an adequate fill in if we get injuries.

I gotta be honest. I'm not a fan of the move. Feels very Rowe like. With the new rules I think we would have been better off taking another ruck when an LTI occurs.

Similar to Marsh and Mayo.

If not I think investing in a young 23 year old ruck would have been a better choice.

Personally would have rather taken Delucca.

I gotta be honest. I'm not a fan of the move. Feels very Rowe like. With the new rules I think we would have been better off taking another ruck when an LTI occurs.

If not I think investing in a young 23 year old ruck would have been a better choice.

Delucca, who Blues delisted after 6 months?

There aren't many ready to go, mature ruckman around just ready to be taken if there is an injury.

We either took Abbott on Friday or he gets re drafted by Geelong and we dont have a back up option..

Rowe was a jack of all trades with no real ruck skill. He was a swingman but not a ruck. Abbott is at least a true ruckman.

Abbott not flash around the ground but he can win a hitout to our advantage. If we need him to play 4-5 games over the year while RoMa and Ryder rest up (Shanghai to Darwin looks the obvious spot initially) then our mids can plan accordingly.

The biggest weakness a ruck can have is being 50/50 in the hitouts. Either win the majority and let your mids get proactive in winning the first touch OR lose the hitouts and let your mids work on sharking the opposition while you lay blocks/tackles and get on your bike around the ground.

50/50 ruckwork leads to uncertain set ups and puts your team on the back foot before the ball is bounced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pierce might have been a concussion case. Either he decided it’s time or the club didn’t want to risk carrying him for another year if he was a chance of being unavailable for long periods of time

100% would have been Pierce over Abbott anytime, purely because he’s younger. For what’s its worth I was sad, read that in Ho Chi Minh City and nearly ruined the last night there. Luckily some good friends and an Oreo shake made the Abbott thing a plane problem. Now I feel fenced about it,

negatively he’s not a great player, but no DFA ever is. He’s 27 and he’s taking up Biggys list spot and properly his position on the field too, hopefully Ratts plays Bell over Abbott.

Positivity, it evens up the Steven trade and gives us a ready made ruck even if both Ryder and Marshall are unavailable.

100% would have been Pierce over Abbott anytime, purely because he’s younger. For what’s its worth I was sad, read that in Ho Chi Minh City and nearly ruined the last night there. Luckily some good friends and an Oreo shake made the Abbott thing a plane problem. Now I feel fenced about it,

negatively he’s not a great player, but no DFA ever is. He’s 27 and he’s taking up Biggys list spot and properly his position on the field too, hopefully Ratts plays Bell over Abbott.

Positivity, it evens up the Steven trade and gives us a ready made ruck even if both Ryder and Marshall are unavailable.

Abbott is a pretty solid back up ruck. The Hawks always have a couple of GOP rucks that can fill in and Geelong a couple too. We would be in trouble if we had an injury to Marshall or Ryder with no actual back up. Bruce and crew took some of the around the ground tap work so we are really exposed now. Big would be a better long term option for sure but we need the back up now.

Abbott is a pretty solid back up ruck. The Hawks always have a couple of GOP rucks that can fill in and Geelong a couple too. We would be in trouble if we had an injury to Marshall or Ryder with no actual back up. Bruce and crew took some of the around the ground tap work so we are really exposed now. Big would be a better long term option for sure but we need the back up now.

Not sure about your last sentence there. I don’t think giving away a player that was rated as high a top 20 pick for ruck relief that is borderline anyway. I would have picked Biggy, Connolly, (that pick can’t be moved) and Abbott, miss out on Bell but meh.

The club recruiters just didn't rate Biggy, for whatever reason.

The club recruiters just didn't rate Biggy, for whatever reason.

He can ruck a bit, but is a bit short to be a genuine ruck in the AFL. Could develop into a forward, but the Saints obviously didn't rate him above rookie.
I'd say the development time will be fairly long.

Abbott, is an older model, but relatively low km.

So is Abbott, that's why he couldn't get a game in a team with no real ruckman.
No real ruckman and no real ruck coach. So how is a bloke meant to develop under those circumstances? Now with Marshall and Ryder to compete against, and Skrobalak, Lade and hell even Roughead to learn from, Abbott can actually be taught and improve.

Ryan Abbott timeline.

Age- 14 to 21 Played Basketball. While Longer, 2 years younger was being Drafted
22-23 Played for the Grovedale Tigers winning consecutive B&F, and getting some games with the Cats VFL. Longer moved to StKilda 2013.
2016, aged 24 drafted by the Cats. Broke his leg at training out for the year Longer didn't play a senior game, due to "in-form" Hickey.
2017, aged 25 had some stress fractures, played 15 games for the Cats VFL 7th in the B&F . Longer had his best career year.
2018, aged 26 , played 4 AFL games , including a final, averaged 27 hitouts , 11 disposals. Longer played 5 averaging 24 hitouts, and 6 disposals.
2019, aged 27 ( 28 as of June ). Played 1 AFL game, 24 hitouts 11 disposals, almost the same as Longer's single game.

The way i see it , he may improve still, and depending on the condition of his body he could have 5 or 6 years left in him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back