Universal Love Welcome Sam Gibson :)

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't say Brown has a penetrating kick. He took all the kick-ins on the GF and absolutely sucked ass at it.
He doesn't have a booming kick, but it definitely has penetration imo (at least to effectively break lines). I'd have to drop my pants to count the number of times he kicked a set shot goal from beyond 50. Very consistent.

There's no doubt Luke Brown has more tricks than just a small shut down defender that the club would like to leverage

Someone might be looking over their shoulder next year:

2017 Stats - Sam on the left and D Mac on the right (Sorry for the format)

22 Games 22
11.1 Kicks Per Game 10.3
11.0 Handballs Per Game 6.6
22.1 Disposals Per Game 16.9
4.6 Marks Per Game 3.0
0.2 Goals Per Game 0.4
0.4 Behinds Per Game 0.4
3.2 Tackles Per Game 3.4
0 Hitouts Per Game 0
2.2 Inside 50s Per Game 3.0
Goal Assists Per Game 0.3
0.6 Frees For Per Game 0.6
0.6 Frees Against Per Game 0.8
Contested Possessions Per Game 5.2
15.1 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 12.3
16.1 Effective Disposals Per Game 12.2
72.9% Disposal Efficiency % Per Game 72.2%
2.0 Clangers Per Game 2.8
Contested Marks Per Game 0
0.3 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0.3
1.8 Clearances Per Game 1.0
2.0 Rebound 50s Per Game 1.7
0.9 One Percenters Per Game 1.1
0.1 Bounces Per Game 0.4
Time On Ground % Per Game 77.6
0.4 Centre Clearances Per Game 0.2
1.4 Stoppage Clearances Per Game 0.8
4.5 Score Involvements Per Game 4.6
261.2 Metres Gained Per Game 332.0
3.4 Turnovers Per Game 3.7
Intercepts Per Game 3.0
0.4 Tackles Inside 50 Per Game 0.3

D Mac not the only one that needs to worry.

I wouldn't say Brown has a penetrating kick. He took all the kick-ins on the GF and absolutely sucked ass at it.
One of the reasons we should consider Trent McKenzie. Given our game plan appears to be always kick long to a pack we need someone who can kick long.

Or we could change our game plan to team creating space and picking out a player at 45m or otherwise. Like most teams.

He doesn't have a booming kick, but it definitely has penetration imo (at least to effectively break lines). I'd have to drop my pants to count the number of times he kicked a set shot goal from beyond 50. Very consistent.

There's no doubt Luke Brown has more tricks than just a small shut down defender that the club would like to leverage
I agree with this however the point about kick outs is extremely valid.

Take out Smith and who do we have in the current defence who should/could take the kick out with any decent effect...NONE OF THEM!!!

I love Doedee for many reasons but there's no way he can do it.

Milera and Douglas good up to 45m with precision and decision making but they don't have a long option. Atkins a pretty but inconsistent leg. Ditto Mackay.

The only 2 I see in the squad capable of kicking anywhere near Smith standard from kick outs (assuming Tex doesn't lumber down and Gibbs in the middle) would be Seedsman or Keath.

I agree with this however the point about kick outs is extremely valid.

Take out Smith and who do we have in the current defence who should/could take the kick out with any decent effect...NONE OF THEM!!!

I love Doedee for many reasons but there's no way he can do it.

Milera and Douglas good up to 45m with precision and decision making but they don't have a long option. Atkins a pretty but inconsistent leg. Ditto Mackay.

The only 2 I see in the squad capable of kicking anywhere near Smith standard from kick outs (assuming Tex doesn't lumber down and Gibbs in the middle) would be Seedsman or Keath.
This is a significant concern losing Smith.... So you would hope the club are practicing different options over the preseason.

Gibbs kicked out often for Carlton, even as a midfielder, so should be an option, but we need more than 1.

I would play Milera on a HBF & have him as a kickin option too.

This is a significant concern losing Smith.... So you would hope the club are practicing different options over the preseason.

Gibbs kicked out often for Carlton, even as a midfielder, so should be an option, but we need more than 1.

I would play Milera on a HBF & have him as a kickin option too.
I have thought of Milera as a kick in option also as he has both poise and the ability to hit a target. I am sure the club will work on the kick ins during pre-season.

One of the reasons we should consider Trent McKenzie. Given our game plan appears to be always kick long to a pack we need someone who can kick long.

Or we could change our game plan to team creating space and picking out a player at 45m or otherwise. Like most teams.

We had a lot more variety than just kick long to a pack in 2017. You didn't see our brilliant switches of play? The way we frequently hit up players that created space? The lightning chains of handball that carved up opposition sides?

I have thought of Milera as a kick in option also as he has both poise and the ability to hit a target. I am sure the club will work on the kick ins during pre-season.
I reckon it's that second play after the kick in that is more of a concern.

Without Smith as a running or kicking option were pretty much assured it's going to be chip back and forth and slow transition.

I reckon it's that second play after the kick in that is more of a concern.

Without Smith as a running or kicking option were pretty much assured it's going to be chip back and forth and slow transition.
I was more concerned about the ball hitting an invisible wall at about the centre line.

He's definitely one I'd like to see us take a punt on. Is a good size and his kicking would be an absolutely weapon in the right set up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's definitely one I'd like to see us take a punt on. Is a good size and his kicking would be an absolutely weapon in the right set up.
Problem with McKenzie is he hasn't played any decent footy in 2 years!

What about Wellingham?

I would seriously consider in context to the loss of Smith

Smith is a huge lost and Wellingham up and running is as close you can get to a Smith replacement more than anyone on our list, Wellingham preferred and best position is HBF

Let's be honest brining him on our list is low risk as it would only cost us base salary and a spot on our list, we could do this by moving CEY to the rookie list or we could look at brining in Wellingham as a mature aged rookie.

It would also depend on the medical report in his ankle

Smith is a huge lost and Wellingham up and running is as close you can get to a Smith replacement more than anyone on our list, Wellingham preferred and best position is HBF

Let's be honest brining him on our list is low risk as it would only cost us base salary and a spot on our list, we could do this by moving CEY to the rookie list or we could look at brining in Wellingham as a mature aged rookie.

And Pyke would have seen him at his best.

I thought the trade for Gibbs became critical with the loss of Smith. I also don't always understand why we must try and replace a player we lose with someone perceived as being the same or similar.

The trade for Gibson I can understand. A trade for Wellingham makes no sense to me at all.

Would we have any interest in Hartung?

Adds some of the speed we’ve lost but must be reasons why he’s not made it at Geelong and Hawks

Would we have any interest in Hartung?

Adds some of the speed we’ve lost but must be reasons why he’s not made it at Geelong and Hawks
I don't think Hartung was ever at Geelong as a player. I hope we have no interest in Hartung.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back