Universal Love Welcome Sam Gibson :)

Remove this Banner Ad

It took Don that long to break Campo.
I think its more to do with the lack of real options for the role.

We backed in Knight with his tank against selective group of opponents but as soon as there was a bigger match winning midfielder that opposition would roll out we struggled for options.

What Gibson brings to the role is size and versatility. At his size, he can go out there and tag the likes of Martin, Dangerfield, Kennedy etc.... but he can also play on the likes of Selwood, Gray etc...

Gibson can also play as a wingman or HBF thanks to his running ability which adds more versatility to the side. This frees up Knights to either play the small forward role and/or rotate further up the field.

Except we started playing some of our best football against top teams later in the season when we did implement the tactic.

I am not convinced that we will tag every week but I think we will do it against teams that have quality, match winning type of midfielders (i.e. Geelong, Richmond, Sydney etc..)
We should only tag when we come up against a star mid who sets up their team or if the player is carving us up.

Stars: Danger, Martin, Fyfe, Bont

Wells is an example of a player who cleaned us up. We need to identify this quickly and move Gibson on to them.

I think its more to do with the lack of real options for the role.

We backed in Knight with his tank against selective group of opponents but as soon as there was a bigger match winning midfielder that opposition would roll out we struggled for options.

What Gibson brings to the role is size and versatility. At his size, he can go out there and tag the likes of Martin, Dangerfield, Kennedy etc.... but he can also play on the likes of Selwood, Gray etc...

Gibson can also play as a wingman or HBF thanks to his running ability which adds more versatility to the side. This frees up Knights to either play the small forward role and/or rotate further up the field.
Great post & agree with your thoughts.

Gibson can play the run with role against the top team midfielders we need to negate, meaning Gibbs & Sloane can play more as wingman outside with stints on ball... then you swap them using Gibson as a wingman against lesser midfields.

Would really like to see Knight, Hampton & Gallucci rotating as pressure forwards & wingmen.

Classic!

Reporter: where would you like to play?
Gibson: midfield, I like to run around, but I am versatile

Reporter: what do you think about the tagger role?
Gibson: if I was asked to play that role then I would play it

Reporter: “Sam Gibson wants to take on tagging role in Adelaide Crows’ midfield

Actually the reporter doesn't make the headlines. That's an Editor or Sub Editors job to grab something that is going to get people to click on an article even though a headline often has a tenuous link to the actual content.

Classic!

Reporter: where would you like to play?
Gibson: midfield, I like to run around, but I am versatile

Reporter: what do you think about the tagger role?
Gibson: if I was asked to play that role then I would play it

Reporter: “Sam Gibson wants to take on tagging role in Adelaide Crows’ midfield

Yup

Seems to me Gibson is saying he wants to play and won’t let his ego get in the way; he’ll do what’s asked of him

Geez I like this bloke. Everything about him says his head is screwed on right

Might have to send him a team guernsey

#clubsanders

43AFD9A3-7E2B-42A0-B747-8958C537EDCD.jpeg

Yup

Seems to me Gibson is saying he wants to play and won’t let his ego get in the way; he’ll do what’s asked of him

#clubsanders

View attachment 444722
Love the game enthusiasm, but that was a pretty textbook non committal set of answers.

Yup

#clubsanders

View attachment 444722

i picture you more like:

He's as honest as the day is long and a good club man.

Very unassuming, so you have to closely analyse his opponent to value his true worth. He usually gets a run with role and he usually influences.

I don't think we should take Gibson getting a game as a sign of the Crows playing safe or an obvious negative. I think we're a bit gun shy on older players after the sharp drop-off by Thommo. Feel like he and Knight are competing for a spot, and to be honest, it is time for Knight to start delivering on the 2015 promise. He played 19 games this season, but never really played a blinder - the final against GWS was good. The GF, horrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we should take Gibson getting a game as a sign of the Crows playing safe or an obvious negative. I think we're a bit gun shy on older players after the sharp drop-off by Thommo. Feel like he and Knight are competing for a spot, and to be honest, it is time for Knight to start delivering on the 2015 promise. He played 19 games this season, but never really played a blinder - the final against GWS was good. The GF, horrible.
While I agree that people seem to be gun shy on players over a certain age, I disagree that Knight and Gibson are competing for the same spot. I think they could not be more different as players if they tried.

Knight is a high HF / wingman type while Gibson is your tagger/wingman/HBF type. They will play very different roles. Knight only played as a tagger last season due to lack of options.

While I agree that people seem to be gun shy on players over a certain age, I disagree that Knight and Gibson are competing for the same spot. I think they could not be more different as players if they tried.

Knight is a high HF / wingman type while Gibson is your tagger/wingman/HBF type. They will play very different roles. Knight only played as a tagger last season due to lack of options.
I get what you mean. but I'd suggest now there is another option, that means Knight's role might be less secure. But yeah, Knight, RAT, Mackay, Seeds etc etc, all stand to be affected

I think we're a bit gun shy on older players after the sharp drop-off by Thommo.
Sharp drop off? His decline was steady, predictable and progressive over three years, culminating in a fourth where he played one game and confirmed that he had nothing left to give. The club was foolish in not phasing him out more gradually. Would have got less games out of him but at a much better standard IMO. And would have given the second stringers opportunities to develop without carrying all the responsibility.

Sharp drop off? His decline was steady, predictable and progressive over three years, culminating in a fourth where he played one game and confirmed that he had nothing left to give. The club was foolish in not phasing him out more gradually. Would have got less games out of him but at a much better standard IMO. And would have given the second stringers opportunities to develop without carrying all the responsibility.
If anyone didn't see 2017 coming after his last half of 2016 then they might need to get their vision checked.

As I noted in the above 30 thread, he went in the B&F from coming 2nd, 1st and 1st to 7th, 5th, 7th. The drop from best midfielder to 3rd/4th best didn't take long.

We didn't bring him in to play reserves so I'll be interested to see if we do use him as a run-with player.

We seemingly loathe to do it for the most part.
I thought we had him in as an insurance policy.

But I wouldn't mind the tagging no more 45 possession games from opposition midfielders.

As long as it is not at the expense of getting games into the Gooch, Milera, Poholke, etc.

I just like that we have traded in & drafted players with a harder edge
Gibson will provide that bigger body and tough approach, whether he’s tagging or not

Forget roles players played last year .... the side will be different in 2018 with a harder edge IMO

Don't think our edges are going to be all that hard and bruising if this talk of the skin fold tests is true!:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back