Past Shaun Edwards - retired 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

What're Shaun's supposed problems?

From what GWS and Dons supporters say, it appears to be his work ethic primarily. Supposedly has all the ability you could want in terms of skill and speed and athleticism but needs a motor to match.

Surely we can we hire Kieren Jack to do a Jetta job on him this summer.

From what GWS and Dons supporters say, it appears to be his work ethic primarily. Supposedly has all the ability you could want in terms of skill and speed and athleticism but needs a motor to match.

Surely we can we hire Kieren Jack to do a Jetta job on him this summer.

I agree, could have a massive breakout year on the half back flank.

What're Shaun's supposed problems?

It was the application more than anything. As mentioned, he has the speed, the skills but lacks the finer requirements to be a top line footballer. Some more intricate minds suggest he is a simple footballer, one who struggles with game plans and zones, presses etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong, he looks an amazing player when "on", but really struggles to be "on" for 120 minutes of football, even at VFL level he struggled.

Enjoys a goose step, doesn't mind a gallop and most importantly loves to run and jump at the ball which allowed us to use him as a pseudo kpf at times this year.

Good luck to Shaun though, cracking fellow who came from a long way back to force his way onto a 3rd AFL list.

It was the application more than anything. As mentioned, he has the speed, the skills but lacks the finer requirements to be a top line footballer. Some more intricate minds suggest he is a simple footballer, one who struggles with game plans and zones, presses etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong, he looks an amazing player when "on", but really struggles to be "on" for 120 minutes of football, even at VFL level he struggled.

Enjoys a goose step, doesn't mind a gallop and most importantly loves to run and jump at the ball which allowed us to use him as a pseudo kpf at times this year.

Good luck to Shaun though, cracking fellow who came from a long way back to force his way onto a 3rd AFL list.
Hmm Good post that was.

images

Last edited:

Cheers for the insights.

Towards the end of the season in the VFL he picked up his game and played a lot more consistent football while still incorporating some amazing moments. He has literally everything but needs to work on his endurance and defensive skills. He's one of the fastest players in the game but he often runs out of gas fairly quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha right. I gathered that, from his decision to start driving to Sydney before he was actually drafted, he mightn't be the thinking man's footballer.

I am amazed that the Chemist had a game plan so intricate that it would befuddle young Shaun.

Towards the end of the season in the VFL he picked up his game and played a lot more consistent football while still incorporating some amazing moments. He has literally everything but needs to work on his endurance and defensive skills. He's one of the fastest players in the game but he often runs out of gas fairly quickly.
Under Saint James he would have won a Brownlow presumably

If he knuckles down under our system & performs in the NEAFL for weeks on end consistently, then he may get a promotion.
Leave it to the coaches, Shaw especially. Every player interviewed in their review spoke very highl of him.

Edwards is purely a cheap back up for a very strong team so unless he can make us a better team, he'll be lucky to play one game.
I mentioned before that Edwards could be the next Mitch Morton. He wasn't trusted by his peers until he had kicked some 70 odd goals in the twos .
That was some tough love. Edwards definitely has some match winning attributes that with enhance our team but not if he doesn't bring a very defensive mindset to a game when we don't have the ball.

As I always do though, he is now a Swan so I always start off by never writing them of until our players stop learning & improving under the guidance of our coaches.

If he knuckles down under our system & performs in the NEAFL for weeks on end consistently, then he may get a promotion.
Leave it to the coaches, Shaw especially. Every player interviewed in their review spoke very highl of him.

Edwards is purely a cheap back up for a very strong team so unless he can make us a better team, he'll be lucky to play one game.
I mentioned before that Edwards could be the next Mitch Morton. He wasn't trusted by his peers until he had kicked some 70 odd goals in the twos .
That was some tough love. Edwards definitely has some match winning attributes that with enhance our team but not if he doesn't bring a very defensive mindset to a game when we don't have the ball.

As I always do though, he is now a Swan so I always start off by never writing them of until our players stop learning & improving under the guidance of our coaches.
Edwards seems really keen to embrace what is probably going to be his last crack at AFL footy. He's brought a great attitude which will hopefully help him develop his consistency and skills without the ball. There would be times at Essendon where he would have this brilliant five minutes where he was in absolutely everything, tackling, winning the ball, and then he would fade out. He spent all of his senior games this year on really high interchange rotation and this would not help with consistency as just about every time he did something really good, it seemed like he was taken off. I don't think he was really given a chance to show what he could be in 2016 and I hope this year I see him taking his chance and flourishing in the swans culture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back