Player Watch Jackson Edwards - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

For the life of me I'm not smart enough to realise why he wasn't rated higher. Looks to be a very complete footballer.

I can’t speak to Edwards case, but it reminds me of when Buckenara was talking about why jack graham wasn’t rated highly

He said Graham wasn’t athletic enough and people believed he wouldn’t be able to make decisions quick enough in the step up to the next level because of it. There wasn’t anything wrong just a query about whether he could do what he showed when it all got faster

And who knows, seems they may have been right or maybe it was a howler

My guess is that Edwards might be seen the same way, not fast & athletic enough to translate

I can’t speak to Edwards case, but it reminds me of when Buckenara was talking about why jack graham wasn’t rated highly

He said Graham wasn’t athletic enough and people believed he wouldn’t be able to make decisions quick enough in the step up to the next level because of it. There wasn’t anything wrong just a query about whether he could do what he showed when it all got faster

My guess is that Edwards might be seen the same way, not fast & athletic enough to translate
I'd say the main difference is Grahams body size and natural competitiveness, not to say Edwards can't get there because he is competitive and can work on his body size but I feel the SA talent system let him down a bit by consistently playing him in a position he won't play well at AFL level ( wing )

Will take a bit of time but I expect him to play AFL footy as an inside mid one day

I know the strategy has paid off two years in a row. But I really wish we'd just picked the lad and been done with it. Made it way harder than it needed to be.

Yeah, i really wanted to overpay too.

?!?!?!?!

Rucci’s report coming soon.

I believe it's called a "hard-hitting exposé"

I know right

Obi wan kenogilvie has some serious Jedi skillz

First he wills Fogarty here by telling everyone we will draft him, then he wills Edwards here by telling everyone we’re not interested

Such a mind games master
40c51fb0b3fd4b845c42e1fe4fd19dbe.jpg

These arent the draftees you are looking for...

I'm not going to pretend I even know what one is what but I'm hoping the one we drafted today is in the middle and the boy on the left is getting drafted next year?

He looks a very good size and will onlt get bigger.
Yep, one on the left is Luke (2019 draft) and on right is youngest Brodie (1 year younger than Luke).

Jackson is just a footballer. Clean skills, clean take, efficient disposal, jeft footer and can swing on his right. While his contested stuff needs some work to make him a more balanced footballer, I can see some merit to the Simon Black comparisons. Not that Jackson will be as good but in terms of their build, their movement and just general demeanor on the field are similar.

Interesting to hear about the glandular fever. It explains why Jackson slipped that far compared to where he was projected to go 12 months ago. IIRC, a year ago he was projected to be a late 1st, early 2nd round pick in this year’s draft. I do know the club rated him. I remeber a player telling me early this year that Jackson looked really good on the track and he “broke the ankles” of a couple of Crows boys with one of his moves during the match simulation drills.

If he can have a career half as good as Black did, Jackson will be a heck of a player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tyson wasn't an overly quick or athletic player either, but he knocked up getting the ball.

This lad lead average possessions for the SA team this year. You want your outside players to get it 20 times and hit the boob 9/10. He seems to have that ability. Build his strength and we might have a good wingman on our hands.

To some degree Jackson is following in the footsteps of his illustrious 300+ game dad Tyson.

Tyson was not considered good enough originally in the draft of 1994,and was picked up later in the pre-season draft at pick 21.

There was no rookie draft in those days, and the pre-season draft was used by clubs who hadn't filled their lists in the main draft - a last chance gasp for players who missed out in the main draft.

Tyson was one of the few exceptions that really made it big time from the pre-season draft.

Jackson also wasn't taken by any club in the main draft, and was taken in the supplementary draft known as the rookie draft.

If he ends up being half as good as his dad he'll make the grade as an AFL player as well. :thumbsu:

To some degree Jackson is following in the footsteps of his illustrious 300+ game dad Tyson.

Tyson was not considered good enough originally in the draft of 1994,and was picked up later in the pre-season draft at pick 21.

There was no rookie draft in those days, and the pre-season draft was used by clubs who hadn't filled their lists in the main draft - a last chance gasp for players who missed out in the main draft.

Tyson was one of the few exceptions that really made it big time from the pre-season draft.

Jackson also wasn't taken by any club in the main draft, and was taken in the supplementary draft known as the rookie draft.

If he ends up being half as good as his dad he'll make the grade as an AFL player as well. :thumbsu:

One of the added benefits of grabbing Jarman and Edwards in the rookie draft is it manages expectations for the kids. Whilst there's the big circus surrounding their drafting, in 2 weeks that'll be forgotten and they'll be close to just another rookie. Fans and media won't have as high expectations on the kids because in reality they were drafted in the long shot basket. Means the boys can focus on the footy and not worry too much about being the long awaited superstar saviour father son.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back