Player Watch Lachlan Murphy - 100 Games!

Is that the full list? If Gallucci has played a better game, I didn't see it.

Gallucci has that game against the Suns, which despite being against lesser opponents was statistically better then his Cats game.

jirkago

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is exactly what annoyed me at times this year. Anyone could see he attacks the ball like few players on our team yet we dropped him soon as he had a dud or two in favour of stacking our forward line with height, height & more height. The way the game is played these days you simply have to have the smaller faster players at ground level and how much better did we look with the right blend last night?
Great call. if we pick tall players, they need to mark it or they are almost useless. We need to play quality talls or none at all

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows

Thought this bit of play was brilliant from the little man, huge bump, the follow-up HTB tackle then to slot the goal to put is in front after the qtr time siren was just beautiful. Should play every game for the rest of the year.

Repeat efforts right there...show this footage to Atkins please.
Sits Guthrie on his ass with a solid bump then nails Simpson with the tackle.

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

Thought this bit of play was brilliant from the little man, huge bump, the follow-up HTB tackle then to slot the goal to put is in front after the qtr time siren was just beautiful. Should play every game for the rest of the year.

Also like how Knight was able to work Selwood away from the contest

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...w/news-story/10c713d737e7dd8aefc844d5f2396b65

The impressive teenager said just weeks after being told by Adelaide that he would not earn an AFL call-up which left him considering a return to Melbourne to play VFL, opportunity unexpectedly knocked when speedster and fellow small forward Charlie Cameron was traded to Brisbane.

Murphy then took a call from Crows national recruiting manager Hamish Ogilvie that changed his football direction and life.

It was a case of shape up and shed 5kg and drop 20 seconds off his 2km time trial or ship out.

“At the end of last season Hamish told me they weren’t going to draft me and that I could come back next year and play SANFL again,’’ Murphy told The Advertiser.

“I was tossing that up or returning to Melbourne when Charlie got traded and Hamish gave me a call the next day and said ‘look, there’s a five per cent chance that we’ll take you now’.

“But he said I had to get really fit, that there were three or four targets that I had to reach and that if I did I could come back and train with the (Crows) first-to-fourth year players in the pre-season.

Murphy, 19, had just seven weeks to shave 20 seconds of his 2km time trial — and get it below the required seven minutes — along with losing 5kg of weight and improving his skinfolds.

So he enlisted the help of one of his best friends, Box Hill VFL player Billy Murphy, who runs his own fitness company BMF.

“He’s a good mate and small forward like me who I’ve shared a football journey — we had both been overlooked at the draft — so I asked what he could do for me,’’ Murphy said.

“I said I’ve got seven weeks to get myself in great physical shape — my lower legs are a bit thick so I had to lose a bit of weight there — and that I would give it everything that I’ve got and he took me under his wing.

“I went to Melbourne and he mapped out a plan, a bit of a boot camp, that had me work with him four times a week — a combination of running, swimming, boxing and footy drills — and I managed to knock of all the targets.

“That earned me the right to train with the Crows’ young players when they returned to work and I was lucky enough to, in the club’s eyes, be worth a rookie selection (No. 38 overall).’’

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
"Murphy, 19, had just seven weeks to shave 20 seconds of his 2km time trial — and get it below the required seven minutes — along with losing 5kg of weight and improving his skinfolds."
Think there was only about 5&1/2 weeks between Cameron being traded (19oct) to Murf being rookied by AFC (27nov) so did Hamish set him the target to see how he would react (and rookied him)?

Think there was only about 5&1/2 weeks between Cameron being traded (19oct) to Murf being rookied by AFC (27nov) so did Hamish set him the target to see how he would react (and rookied him)?

We would have known Cameron was being traded for longer then that.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sounds very similar to the way Porplyzia had to work, and re-work, and re-work again in order to get his chance. If Murph can carve out half of Porps' output we'll be happy.

Great analogy :thumbsu: A talented player who is lacking some physical attributes, so they have to earn their stripes a little bit more to prove they're willing to work hard enough to make it, just to get their foot in the door. And then their natural talent can shine through.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide

Cameron requested a trade on Oct 5th. The national draft was Nov 24th. 7 weeks and 1 day (and presumably they'd have their list in order the day before).

Back