Player Watch Lachlan Murphy - 100 Games!

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon he knows that it could all be over any moment, and he's playing like each game could be his last, and he has to constantly prove that he should be there.

He would know that he isn't the most talented player out there, and he doesn't have the physical attributes that most AFL players do. All it will take is one player in his position stepping up and taking his spot and his AFL career is potentially done. Perhaps if he's put together enough of a body of work by then, he can find a home at another AFL club, or perhaps not.

But players like that are the lifeblood of successful clubs. Scrappers who will give 110% every time they step on the field. Honest battlers with genuine mental toughness who will leave nothing on the ground, who will guts it out to every contest even if there's no way they can win it because, one time out of a hundred, the opponent might slip over or stuff it up and they'll be there to take advantage.

If someone like Stengle comes along and takes his spot, so be it. But until then, at least you know exactly what you're going to get with Murphy :thumbsu:

Finally found a replacement?

That wording is amusing given we only played a season without Charlie before having Murphy this year

Also since Murphy played rounds 1, 2 and 3 (plus other games later) last year, we finally found him the moment Charlie left.

They key for Murphy is to keep improving. Even minor improvements to his ball handling, decision making, kicking, marking, goal sense etc each season will make him an asset.

Don't settle for being a role player.

In fact I think the phrase "I played my role" is player development poison.

We've had players like Murphy over the years that impress with their intensity & work ethic. Coaches fall in love with them. The 'story' - undrafted reserves player makes good - reflects well on the coaching staff and they love that too.

Over the years they improve their professionalism, off field work, leadership... everything except their actual football playing ability which almost becomes secondary to all the other features the coaches love.

They end up being a hindrance unless they set their personal sights and standards higher.

Can we play him and McHenry in the same side? What about Jones?

Or will Douglas just come in ahead of all of them?

I'm uneasy about first round picks smashing the door down in the SANFL but seemingly no role opening up for them in the seniors.

They key for Murphy is to keep improving. Even minor improvements to his ball handling, decision making, kicking, marking, goal sense etc each season will make him an asset.

Don't settle for being a role player.

We've had players like Murphy over the years that impress with their intensity & work ethic. Coaches fall in love with them. The 'story' - undrafted reserves player makes good - reflects well on the coaching staff and they love that too.

Over the years they improve their professionalism, off field work, leadership... everything except their actual football playing ability which almost becomes secondary to all the other features the coaches love.

They end up being a hindrance unless they set their personal sights and standards higher.

I don't think we have to worry about that with Murphy, that handball to Greenwood, and the tackle near the end. Nah, he wants it too much, he just goes 100% from start to finish.

Or maybe when they become a hindrance we could stop picking them? It's not the player's fault when he hits his ceiling - everyone has one. It's the match committee that is supposed to have the bigger picture, the club's interest at heart. The problem ends when we let limited role players be overtaken by younger players with better skills.

Or maybe when they become a hindrance we could stop picking them? It's not the player's fault when he hits his ceiling - everyone has one. It's the match committee that is supposed to have the bigger picture, the club's interest at heart. The problem ends when we let limited role players be overtaken by younger players with better skills.
Sure

If he doesn't continue to improve then that's bad, which is the whole point of my post.

We have a history of letting players find a niche role in our structure and decaying there. Passenger-ing their way along being 21st or 22nd picked. And before we look they've become experienced, senior players therefore have yet another non-football-playing-ability quality that we value oh so much.

NOt going too badly for a player many posters had drawn a line through after a couple of rounds this year.
Not me.

I have been a fan for a big time.

I reckon he is one of those guys who just never stops and drives others to be better with his own work rate.

He has ticker.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

NOt going too badly for a player many posters had drawn a line through after a couple of rounds this year.

I was quite happy to have seen us delist Murphy 10 minutes after that North game. Completely 180'd since then so it may have been a bit of faith from the coaching staff may have just settled him down.

Can we play him and McHenry in the same side? What about Jones?

Or will Douglas just come in ahead of all of them?

I'm uneasy about first round picks smashing the door down in the SANFL but seemingly no role opening up for them in the seniors.

I'd bring in Jones or McHenry for Gallucci this week. Knight on shaky ground, too.

Hope Porplyzia can work with him on his set shot kicking because it's the biggest flaw in his game. Not terrible like some tall forwards but due to his size and athletic abilities, he's never going to get a huge amount of shots on goal, so needs to make them count, like Porps, Callinan and even Wright did in similar roles.

Hope Porplyzia can work with him on his set shot kicking because it's the biggest flaw in his game. Not terrible like some tall forwards but due to his size and athletic abilities, he's never going to get a huge amount of shots on goal, so needs to make them count, like Porps, Callinan and even Wright did in similar roles.

Paul Puopolo is the best comparison.

Plays very similar to Murphy in game style in the sense that he's never been a high volume possession winner or shots on goal taker, but brings manic pressure.

Puopolo has kicked 176.83 over the course of his career, essentially goaling just over 2/3rds of his shots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm. Hope we didn't spend too much. I'm not sure there's any fixing his errors by foot, and it's hard to see him as a part of a top quality 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back