Player Watch Lachlan Murphy - 100 Games!

No, the locked out ********.
If he plays good footy, they'll fit him in.

Go on, how?

Football has never been about a mismash of good players working in a random assortment. That is just setting up for failure, and its telling that even with a big time prospect in Fogarty, we moved away from four talls (noting that we are more than happy to sacrifice spots like this for player development under Pyke). We know that structure is now a dud.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Rubbish, just some space cadet picking up up on the Tredrea article would be my guess?

Link?
They did it with Tredders article too. Tredders says he'd look elsewhere if he was Fogarty, then it gets plastered with the headline "Crows concerned about losing young forward"

It's 30 seconds of audio with a commentator speculating what ifs from the 5AA sports show which has now been spun into fact for clicks.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
Go on, how?

Football has never been about a mismash of good players working in a random assortment. That is just setting up for failure, and its telling that even with a big time prospect in Fogarty, we moved away from four talls (noting that we are more than happy to sacrifice spots like this for player development under Pyke). We know that structure is now a dud.

Jeez you just won't drop this line will you?

He's going to be in the team, he's going to be a superstar. We aren't holding onto him in the hope a space opens up.

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

Jeez you just won't drop this line will you?

He's going to be in the team, he's going to be a superstar. We aren't holding onto him in the hope a space opens up.

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

When? It's evident we have no plan for him currently and like Doedee, are just praying for dumb luck, again. Us trying to get him to click as a defender shows that. For a player that has a ceiling that could see him as our best player for the next decade, that is abysmal list management.

There are only two ways someone can get into our (and most sides) squad. You're a talented player and the structure allows for a spot to be sacrificed (McGovern, Milera, Gallucci, and Jones are examples of this for us), or you are being held onto in the hope something goes wrong and a space opens up (Keath, Doedee, Kelly, CEY, Greenwood, Murphy are examples). As that spot doesn't exist for Fogarty to play him in the ones at minimal damage, we are holding onto him in the hope a space opens up. No one magically forces the hand of an AFL selector due to SANFL performance because the only worth that SANFL performances have is that it can promote you to the next man up, not force a selectors hand. Fogarty will be no different there even before you factor there isn't a player to drop for him to begin with (seeing the only competition is our captain who won't be getting dropped whilst he has that c next to his name). The notion of perform in the reserves and force the selectors is just a romantic, and deluded fantasy unless you are already best 22 who just imploded (i.e. Jenkins).

It deserves to be harped on about because any moment you are reliant on dumb luck is a failure, doubly so seeing what Fogarty could be.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Good to see we continue to lock away the key players targeted by interstate clubs.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
When? It's evident we have no plan for him currently and like Doedee, are just praying for dumb luck, again. Us trying to get him to click as a defender shows that. For a player that has a ceiling that could see him as our best player for the next decade, that is abysmal list management.

There are only two ways someone can get into our (and most sides) squad. You're a talented player and the structure allows for a spot to be sacrificed (McGovern, Milera, Gallucci, and Jones are examples of this for us), or you are being held onto in the hope something goes wrong and a space opens up (Keath, Doedee, Kelly, CEY, Greenwood, Murphy are examples). As that spot doesn't exist for Fogarty to play him in the ones at minimal damage, we are holding onto him in the hope a space opens up. No one magically forces the hand of an AFL selector due to SANFL performance because the only worth that SANFL performances have is that it can promote you to the next man up, not force a selectors hand. Fogarty will be no different there even before you factor there isn't a player to drop for him to begin with (seeing the only competition is our captain who won't be getting dropped whilst he has that c next to his name). The notion of perform in the reserves and force the selectors is just a romantic, and deluded fantasy unless you are already best 22 who just imploded (i.e. Jenkins).

It deserves to be harped on about because any moment you are reliant on dumb luck is a failure, doubly so seeing what Fogarty could be.
I think you’re looking at things too much from a structural perspective. The game has gone more towards “total team defense” and looking for players who can fill 2 or more roles, in case of injuries. If Fog can play as he did back in 2017 AND get AFL standard fitness, I’d truly doubt the Crows will hesitate to find a spot for him. Next year would be the aim for Fog to play regular AFL games. If not, then... I’ll be chucking hissy fits!

Regarding Murphy, I really like his attitude and grunt. He needs to be a bit more composed and finish off the goals to be a legitimate permanent small forward. Good thing is that he’s quite versatile and can maybe be shifted back in defence, perhaps even play Mackay’s role in the future?

I think you’re looking at things too much from a structural perspective. The game has gone more towards “total team defense” and looking for players who can fill 2 or more roles, in case of injuries. If Fog can play as he did back in 2017 AND get AFL standard fitness, I’d truly doubt the Crows will hesitate to find a spot for him. Next year would be the aim for Fog to play regular AFL games. If not, then... I’ll be chucking hissy fits!

Regarding Murphy, I really like his attitude and grunt. He needs to be a bit more composed and finish off the goals to be a legitimate permanent small forward. Good thing is that he’s quite versatile and can maybe be shifted back in defence, perhaps even play Mackay’s role in the future?

"Total team defense" is born from structures, so even with that line, it is still by far the most important thing to consider.

You can doubt it all you want, you'd be wrong though. We won't find a spot for Fogarty in the near future because we've overinvested in our forward line. To do so, without relying on an LTI (which is our current development plan with Fogarty), you need to trade out or retire one of Tex or Lynch and we've already nailed our flag to that mast. All our other rookies, you can either see a long term plan that actually makes sense or they're a middling talent that we don't particularly care about. This one we've completely butchered in the short term (and with rookies that could be the difference between making it and being a dud). We've already shown our hand that we won't go back to a 4 tall forward line, otherwise, Fogarty would have played every game this year trying to make it work.

I highly doubt Murphy will be on our list in 3 years. Limited player, and really, he feels like a placeholder for a McAdams type (and once that happens, he is done). He is a bit lucky we don't see McHenry as a small forward (which is the right call, you need to aim higher with first-round rookies then a small forward) as well. I like him though, he won't die wondering.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
I am a big fan of Murph.

To me he is an ideal small forward type player. He has goal sense, basically kicks a goal a game and he hits the contest hard.

Yes he has limitations as a footballer. He will never be a mid or a high posession player. Which makes him a great SF prospect. He is learning his role and is getting better. People forget he is only 20.

I look at a guy like Charlie Cameron and think he is wasted as a SF. He has more footy nous and more ability to roll through the middle. But at 24 still plays predominantly SF.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I guess he had to get elevated either now or 12 months from now since he's already had 2 years on the rookie list and signed a 2 year extension.

So if I understand correctly, we now have 6 picks inside 50, but only 5 list spots? Indication that we have a deal in the works to package up a couple of our picks to move up the order?

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I guess he had to get elevated either now or 12 months from now since he's already had 2 years on the rookie list and signed a 2 year extension.

So if I understand correctly, we now have 6 picks inside 50, but only 5 list spots? Indication that we have a deal in the works to package up a couple of our picks to move up the order?
You only have as many picks as you do list spots. So we will take 5 live picks. The 6th is used to upgrade Murphy

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
You only have as many picks as you do list spots. So we will take 5 live picks. The 6th is used to upgrade Murphy
With Murthy elevated we still have 7 live picks in the main draft and 1 rookie spot,
However, we can elect to run with the main list of 38 and 6 rookies if we choose.

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
That means we can trade at least 1 out or combine 2 to get up the draft . Picks 45 and 49 are about equal to pick 29/30. I wonder if any takers.

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Or 39 and 5 using all our picks inside 50,
Salary Cap may not be an issue this year forcing us to take 6 rookies.
Yep, 39 seniors + 5 rookies looks the most likely, at this stage.

However, we may stay with 38 + 6 if we bundle up a couple of our picks, e.g. 45 & 49 for a pick in the 30s. Then, we'd go down from 6 National Draft picks to 5.

ltdamn

Premiership Player
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Seahawks, Mariners, Celtic
I'm pretty sure we will try to bundle up our 40s picks for one in the 30s with a club who needs to pick up academy or FS talent without paying a premium.

Back