Player Watch Lachlan Murphy - 100 Games!

Remove this Banner Ad

Murphy has started his career fine and brings enough to the table to begin with but needs to continue improving

Ball handling, kicking, possessions per game, tackles per game etc.

What he absolutely cannot do is be satisfied that he's playing his role. Start directing traffic, be a leader, speak up in meetings, pride himself on his time trial results etc.

The mistake so many of our players have made before him. The 'team stuff' goes to the forefront and they neglect their individual game. Stagnate as footballers and in the end experience (games played) is all they bring to the table.

His 100% focus needs to be on himself and getting better.

Murphy is the Jake Kelly of the forward line.

The limited rookie list player you hope we will upgrade soon, but somehow sneaks their way to loads of fairly average games

Yep, 21 games as a small forward for a return of 19 goals is unacceptable even if you label yourself as a ‘pressure forward’ it doesn’t excuse you from being a lost puppy the majority of the time you are in the forward 50.

It’s an absolute cop out calling him a pressure forward given the team’s glaring forward 50 tackle stats, seemed to model his game on Douglas’ this year with only ‘perceived pressure’ and running around a lot for little to no impact on actual contests. Like Petrenko before him is barely an AFL standard player and is definitely not a forward, he didn’t at one stage during the year look dangerous inside 50 and when he did actually venture outside of the 50 his delivery into the forward line was some of the worst I’ve ever seen as his kicking skills are poor.

The limited rookie list player you hope we will upgrade soon, but somehow sneaks their way to loads of fairly average games
Maybe as a 20 year old he has scope for improvement?

Like Jake Kelly, I think he's almost maxing out his ability. Mostly because he has no outstanding athletic traits
Laird isn't a super athlete either, but he kept improving after 20. I love Murphy's pace and his attack on the ball. Hopefully he can develop more touch than Kelly.

I like his hustle, but his skills are a bit lacking for a forward, wouldn’t mind seeing him as a small defender if required. He might surprise and find another gear though.

I am a Murphy fan and have no issue with the games we are getting into him. I see him as a pure pocket player, forward or back. A shame they didn't try him down back when Brown was injured.

I like his work rate and his ability to extract a free kick. Also getting a goal a game is pretty good for a u/20 SF in a struggling team.

But will say he needs to expand his game from this year onwards to keep that spot in the team and list.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can not understand why he hasn't been developed as small lockdown defender ie the next Brown
Think that's his place moving forward, or at least it should be.

Play actual forwards forward.

Can not understand why he hasn't been developed as small lockdown defender ie the next Brown
Brown, Laird and Smith all have multiple seasons ahead of them

Hamill and Sholl need games this year too

No room for Murphy down back unless he can displace one of those guys

Meanwhile our ability to defend from our F50 has been close to worst in the AFL since Charles left so there is a need for someone like Murphy

Obviously Charles was top 10 in our B&F in his first full season, and his second full season. Murphy is miles off that pace and unlikely to develop into a star like Charles has at Brisbane.

But let’s be realistic his only path to AFL footy with us is as a small forward.

His pressure and tackling was elite on Saturday and he had some very good clearances from bursting through stoppages. I think his best all round game at afl level.

Probably his regular game is AFL level. I mean, Murphy was hitting pretty solid numbers last year.

Murphys issue is he'll always be the first one to go if a small forward with big potential comes on the scene (i.e. Newchurch if he figures out how to be consistent on defence). That said, he's good enough to be a role player in really any AFL side that has a need for a defensive small. Unless Rowe falls by the wayside; McAdam most likely won't by this point.

He's certainly in that Petrenko/Knights purgatory at the moment. Good enough to be an AFL player, but very reliant on luck to have a long career.

Murphy didn't really spend that much time up forwards last year did he? I remember thinking that during the season, and whenever he was up forwards he appeared to go alright considering how much we struggled overall. I'd love to see him stay up forward, his second efforts are great, stalks the defenders and puts pressure on, tackles well.
I think he has more to offer than McAdam

His pressure and tackling was elite on Saturday and he had some very good clearances from bursting through stoppages. I think his best all round game at afl level.
Got involved all over the field which was great to see

If he keeps improving he's a player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back