Prediction Welcome to AFC - ? - Pick 12, 2017 Draft...

Who do you want Adelaide to pick @ 12?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully he is the best judge of them all ;). To have either of these on the table at 12 will be beyond expectations. Who would you take if they were both there?
On talent alone, I’d take Stephenson. He’s a sublime game-breaker IMO. Although I read somewhere today that his heart condition medication can make you lethargic?

On talent alone, I’d take Stephenson. He’s a sublime game-breaker IMO. Although I read somewhere today that his heart condition medication can make you lethargic?

Yeah. Coffeild to me looks a safe option for a really quality player. I see Yeo written all over him and I rate Yeo as AA in his role. Best at what he does for mine.

But Stephenson is a bit unique and looks a game breaker. Much harder to replace with somebody slightly worse to do the same role like you could with Yeo. I would go Jayden.

I'd be happy with one of Fogarty, Clarke, Bonar or Coffield at 12. For one of them to be available, 3 of Stephenson, Higgins, Naughton, Brander and Murphy are taken in the top 11 (someone else could make but seems very unlikely). I'm worried Stephenson sliding means we weren't get one of those 4.

I would have Stephenson over all of them. But especially over Bonar. For me its pretty close between Coffield and Stephenson. And close between Clake and Fogarty.

I dont want Higgins but would be pretty happy with any of the other names you mentioned to be fair.

Landsberger said in today's Hun that Stephenson's heart condition was only diagnosed last month, so the risk for clubs is if they haven't been able to see how he copes with the meds, which I have seen rumoured make u lethargic.

Yeah. Coffeild to me looks a safe option for a really quality player. I see Yeo written all over him and I rate Yeo as AA in his role. Best at what he does for mine.

But Stephenson is a bit unique and looks a game breaker. Much harder to replace with somebody slightly worse to do the same role like you could with Yeo. I would go Jayden.
I see Coffield as a higher accumulating Bob Murphy, but 2017 Yeo is a good comparison, too. Pretty safe bet to become a 200-250+ game player. I thought a couple of weeks back he’d be no chance to get to our pick, I’d be very happy if he did.

Stephenson is a freak though, and we need more freaks in the side

Landsberger said in today's Hun that Stephenson's heart condition was only diagnosed last month, so the risk for clubs is if they haven't been able to see how he copes with the meds, which I have seen rumoured make u lethargic.
Yeah that’s a decent risk that a club would have to take

IMO we can afford to do that, considering Stephenson’s talent

Yeah that’s a decent risk that a club would have to take

IMO we can afford to do that, considering Stephenson’s talent

I agree! Especially considering that we had two 1st round picks in 2015 and will have3 picks inside 25 next year. I am comfortable if we swing for the fences and make sure if we don’t expect too much, too soon.

It must be a relatively serious heart condition to see him slide so quickly. A massive talent, but now with big question marks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Coffield as a higher accumulating Bob Murphy, but 2017 Yeo is a good comparison, too. Pretty safe bet to become a 200-250+ game player. I thought a couple of weeks back he’d be no chance to get to our pick, I’d be very happy if he did.

Stephenson is a freak though, and we need more freaks in the side

Coffield reminds me of Pendlebury, good in traffic, makes good decisions and uses the ball extremely well

Is it the same thing that Milera had? I still think it would be worth the risk to get a top 5 player that slides to 12 due to something that should be entirely fixable in time.

Is it the same thing that Milera had? I still think it would be worth the risk to get a top 5 player that slides to 12 due to something that should be entirely fixable in time.

I think Milera had a hole in the heart? Anyway, I think this would have been completely fixable by operation. Without actually knowing anything, I would guess that this guy's condition will be much more problematic, since he is being treated by medication. I'm sure our club and the rest will have the info they need to make decisions. The last thing we need is to draft someone who either collapses/retires/dies on our watch, or, alternatively, does a lever and pisses off back to VIC after a few years.

And.. he is off on a cruise with (VIC) girlfriend and "mates". Beware! ;)

Last edited:
I can't see it bob: what's the story?
Milera had never experienced heart problems so he was flabbergasted when the state team’s doctor told him that he had been diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome and that he had been living with the condition.

“I was in shock,’’ Milera said.

“And because I didn’t have the full details of it early on it was a bit of a worry.

“I wasn’t really sure whether I would ever be able to play AFL, whether the recruiters would want me and how it would affect me and my health.

“But once I looked into it further, had more medical advice and went through the procedures it became more straight forward.’’

Milera’s condition was the same as that of former Port Adelaide and Western Bulldogs midfielder Nathan Eagleton, who was diagnosed after he collapsed on the members’ wing of Football Park while playing for the Power in 1999.

Milera had keyhole surgery to correct the problem and 13 days later kicked three goals in Central’s first semi-final win against the Port Magpies.

He hasn’t had any health issues since.

“I never had any symptoms of the condition before I was diagnosed and since the surgery it’s all been good too,’’ Milera said.

I think Milera had a hole in the heart? Anyway, I think this would have been completely fixable by operation. Without actually knowing anything, I would guess that this guy's condition will be much more problematic, since he is being treated by medication. I'm sure our club and the rest will have the info they need to make decisions. The last thing we need is to draft someone who either collapses/retires/dies on our watch, or, alternatively, does a lever and pisses off back to VIC after a few years.

And.. he is off on a cruise with (VIC) girlfriend and "mates". Beware! ;)

Milera had Wolf-Parkinson-White which they could effectively treat with ablation. If we're talking about requiring long term medication, likely a Beta-Blocker to artificially slow heart rate, then this is probably more of a concern.

Quite frankly if this is true, IMO there's enough talent around at 12 without having to take a risk on such a condition, although I'm not privy to medical reports etc as our club doctors would be.

Higgins to me, at present, seems like a real possibility. Clark and Fogarty sound like they'll be off the table unfortunately, but Higgins looks like a great forward cum midfielder, who could slit straight into Cameron's spot (obviously fighting with Gallucci/Hampton). To me seems a cross between Toby Green, Brent Harvey and Dayne Zorko, which I'd be very happy with. Professional in his preparation, which the club loves, finds plenty of the footy, tough/wins the ground ball, kicks goals and has great vision. Slides due to not being a 6'2" beast with express pace.

I should know this. However, Can someone please explain why we wouldn’t use pick 77 and 94 in this draft? Would we use these picks as additional rookie picks?

Cheers.

I should know this. However, Can someone please explain why we wouldn’t use pick 77 and 94 in this draft? Would we use these picks as additional rookie picks?

Cheers.
We wouldn't use them if we believe there is no one worth selecting that deserves a senior spot (and thusly a 2 year contract) on the list. If that's the case, we'll use them to upgrade Keath and Greenwood to the senior list.

We took 44 players into 2017 - I don’t understand why we’d take even less this year?

IMO we’ll use 75, that’s just media talk

Back