Prediction Welcome to AFC - ? - Pick 12, 2017 Draft...

Who do you want Adelaide to pick @ 12?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We had two first rounders, we took a punt on calling Doedee a lot earlier than was expected. Taking a punt on Burton wouldn’t have been crazy given the circumstances.
You were privy to the club's medical report on Burton?? There's a difference between taking a calculated risk and a punt.

I don't disagree with that in principle. If the talent level between a Vic kid and an SA kid is far enough the sure, go most talented.

I do however have some concern that, of late, we seem to be besotted with Vic kids and in doing so have overlooked SA talent that was on the table.

Most notably Burton, Hayward and Graham. Based upon drafting rationale the kids we drafted need to be significantly better than those 3, not just roughly equivalent.

Maybe they will be - all well and good, but early signs are, with Burton at least, that it was a significant error. I hope that in future we look a bit more closely and carefully at SA kids, and not just be seduced by the Victorian junior competition.

Let’s wait and see how the plays we picked turn out and in Burton’s case let’s wait and see how long his career lasts. With him, it was never about talent but about longevity.

It’s not as simple as you are making it out to be. We went Gallucci over Hayward because we wanted pace in the midfield. Burton was about longevity and Graham, well let’s wait and see how things pan out. Shane Ellen kicked 5 goals in a GF once. It doesn’t make him a better player that some of the players on his team that missed out.

I don't disagree with that in principle. If the talent level between a Vic kid and an SA kid is far enough the sure, go most talented.

I do however have some concern that, of late, we seem to be besotted with Vic kids and in doing so have overlooked SA talent that was on the table.

Most notably Burton, Hayward and Graham. Based upon drafting rationale the kids we drafted need to be significantly better than those 3, not just roughly equivalent.

Maybe they will be - all well and good, but early signs are, with Burton at least, that it was a significant error. I hope that in future we look a bit more closely and carefully at SA kids, and not just be seduced by the Victorian junior competition.
It will help when the SA talent pathway and state program is up to scratch

Hopefully the new coach and direction will help

You were privy to the club's medical report on Burton?? There's a difference between taking a calculated risk and a punt.

Well given we pretty much know how it worked out, hard to say we had super secret special info.

I’ve no issue with us overlooking him, but in medical terms it doesn’t look like we had better info than anyone else

Well given we pretty much know how it worked out, hard to say we had super secret special info.

I’ve no issue with us overlooking him, but in medical terms it doesn’t look like we had better info than anyone else
I never said we did have but his medical report along with the hands on medical the Club Doctors and Club Physios did at that year's Draft Combine it clearly effected how clubs rated Burton because 9 clubs overlooked Burton before the Hawks....it was never about talent or lack thereof.

From what I heard we didn't pick Burton because we thought he was a forward and didn't need anymore of those, so we picked doedee who is a defender.
Funny thing is Burton will turn out a better defender than doedee.

But I really would like to see doedee become a stenglein type player for us.

From what I heard we didn't pick Burton because we thought he was a forward and didn't need anymore of those, so we picked doedee who is a defender.
Funny thing is Burton will turn out a better defender than doedee.

But I really would like to see doedee become a stenglein type player for us.
AccomplishedAnotherIrrawaddydolphin-max-1mb.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good little player with nice skills but that's to early IMO with what will still be on the board....I think Brander might be more likely personally with the fight GWS put up to keep him as a zone player.

Its a compliment, stenglein was a gun.

Id be very dissapointed if Doedee turned into a tagger.

I still see Enright like abilities in him.

Doedee is also an athletic specimen who has a combination of speed, power and agility that has been rare in our defence.

You can see it in the way he is able to mark the ball at the absolute peak of his jump.

Id be very dissapointed if Doedee turned into a tagger.

I still see Enright like abilities in him.

Doedee is also an athletic specimen who has a combination of speed, power and agility that has been rare in our defence.

You can see it in the way he is able to mark the ball at the absolute peak of his jump.
giphy.gif

If

And yet we were prepared to take a risk on a Victorian kid with a knee injury... who subsequently burned us.

Lever hardly burnt us as all that happened was that we got a couple of years out of a good player whilst cheap (and before he got too expensive for his output), and then ended up turning that into rolled gold in the terms of multiple first round picks.

We have absolutely killed every portion of us having Lever.

Back