Welcome to Brisbane, Ely Smith

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Australian International Sides
http://m.lions.com.au/video/2018-11-23/captains-call

The call from Zorko. Club values reinforced - asked Ely if he had thanked his parents yet and when Ely said he hadn’t seen them Zorko told him to make sure he thanked his parents for all their hard work as they were an important reason he was now a drafted Afl player. Family club message delivered.

Little bit of irony in Zorko strongly reinforcing family values lol

Lol That's why I said club values. To be fair just because the club values family it doesn't mean there won't be relationship breakdowns. Footy players are just normal people with normal people abilities/lack there if to navigate long term relationships.

Little bit of irony in Zorko strongly reinforcing family values lol
Off topic, and take from this what you will, but in the thread in the scandals/rumours section there's a post saying someone who posted content to another website was asked to take it down by his missus because apparently he was 'hacked'.

So yeah there's that...

Anyway back to the thread.

DashinD

All Australian
Sep 5, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not really a fan of this kind of stuff. Drafted probably 15 minutes ago, probably the biggest moments of his young life, camera shoved in face, set up phone call with the captain. A bit forced and awkward, but thought Ely handled it pretty well. Did all clubs do this, part of the AFL Media rigmorale of the evening?

I don't think it is an AFL media imposed thing, but most clubs have done something like it for a few years so its pretty common.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Not really a fan of this kind of stuff. Drafted probably 15 minutes ago, probably the biggest moments of his young life, camera shoved in face, set up phone call with the captain. A bit forced and awkward, but thought Ely handled it pretty well. Did all clubs do this, part of the AFL Media rigmorale of the evening?
17 year old kid with no media training and probably never played in front of or talked in front of more than a couple of hundred suddenly on national TV, and yet some around the threads (mainly facebook comments) still potting the bloke for not smiling enough. Unbelievable. Nature of the internet I guess.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
17 year old kid with no media training and probably never played in front of or talked in front of more than a couple of hundred suddenly on national TV, and yet some around the threads (mainly facebook comments) still potting the bloke for not smiling enough. Unbelievable. Nature of the internet I guess.
Yeah it is absolutely laughable some of the comments regarding is interviews. I saw one of his at the Lions Melbourne function on Thursday night and he was brought up on stage in front of maybe 80 odd people and of course he was nervous and out of his comfort zone (same for all his interviews I saw).

I don’t do Facebook but I heard from others that some of the comments were scathing. Seriously, what do people expect of an 18 year old thrust suddenly into the spotlight without any training etc. Sure some kids on draft spoke eloquently such as Liam Stocker, but I don’t recall McCluggage being outwardly excited either when he was drafted.

But you’re spot on, the expectations and comments are just pathetic. I bet all of these people making such negative comments wouldn’t be so game making them to his face; the kid is a fierce bull.

Fagenslions36

All Australian
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Imposing big bodied mids , some slick outside polish now I feel would be handy

Gee he is a bloody unit for an 18 year old.

I think we are now covered going forward for young big bodied mids, Ely Smith, Connor McFadyen, Jarrod Berry, Cameron Rayner, Brandon Starcevich. :D

Imposing big bodied mids , some slick outside polish now I feel would be handy

we might tap a ready to go outside runner similar to what we did with Neale #destinationclub

Back