Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Cubs, FC Brugge

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
If anyone could provide a summary of the podcast that'd be really appreciated!
Or even just a few notes

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Sounds ultra positive about what he can bring the club. Fitness, strength of mind and recovery. There’s a hard edge about his approach as well. Players will benefit greatly from Andrew being at Carlton as each of them will get an individual program to improve performance. You’re not going to survive on perceived ability. It will be about results. I hope the players see this as a challenge and grab it.

May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Jack Russells pet projects
- SPS - get him running all game
- Pickett - turn him into a beast pls
- JSOS - get that upper body built
- McKay - get him some bigger legs
- Weitering - get him faster

And get some size and power into Cripps FFS.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Watched the short video and was struck by his professionalism. Also the production values seem to have gone up a notch, when you watch the interview with doc and cripps straight afterwards.

OnceWeWereKings

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Sounds ultra positive about what he can bring the club. Fitness, strength of mind and recovery. There’s a hard edge about his approach as well. Players will benefit greatly from Andrew being at Carlton as each of them will get an individual program to improve performance. You’re not going to survive on perceived ability. It will be about results. I hope the players see this as a challenge and grab it.

Really think it’s cat amongst the pigeon time at the club.
This bloke will give everyone the opportunity to be the best they can be.
If you don’t front up and meet the standard don’t let the door hit your arse on the way out.
The best recruit of the year.

Last edited:

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m most excited to see what AR can do with JSOS. Hopefully we can improve his athleticism by 15-20%. WE would have a dangerous player on our hands.

Also keep to see him
Weiters - improve his speed
Setters - get on the park
SPS - have a preseason
Pickett - get him on the park and firing (I believe this would be the greatest reward)
Macredie - put on some size

Smokey_22

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2005
!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
NSW
Mark my words Russell is the big recruit for us. He is internationally renowned and highly sort after.
Will not be surprised to see many players down at Ikon Park as of this week looking to use him and it will show early on in 2019.
Interesting listening to him on the podcast - he said that whenever the hawks had fewer than 4-5 players perform <60% of preseason load they made the top 3 every time, and more than 4-5 players saw them finish 5-10th.
Hawks can’t understand why he left - but clearly he’s ambitious and wants a new challenge. A quote from the hawks board - ’We are now a bottom 4 side because he is gone.’ Says it all.

Sep 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
Damn that interview got me amped up, so exciting!

Looks like he is really invested and takes pride in molding athletes which should be enormous for our young talent. He will have a vision of what each player should look like and be able to do on the field and his expertise will take them there.
He is proven.

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
http://m.carltonfc.com.au/video/2018-10-09/russell-what-ill-bring-to-blues

What an impressive man. Can’t wait to see what he can do with this list!

I loved how positive he is about our players and how confident he is that he can get them up and about. Sounds like he's already been doing his homework. It seems that Russell is coming over to us as much for the professional challenge as for whatever money we're offering.

Four flags with Hawthorn, his work there is done. What would be the next real challenge? Help get the Blues off the bottom to become a force once more? That'll do nicely! :)

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
The question they didn't ask Russell...
"So, how did Clarko react when you told him you were coming across to the Blues?"
"Aw mate... for the next couple of days, no plasterboard wall in the club was safe. Lost count of the number of panels they had to replace."

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
https://www.strengthofscience.com/p...pacey-performance-podcast-170-andrew-russell/

For those interested in how the bloke operates.

Love the section where he explains what he expects of guys day 1 of pre-season.
Thanks for sharing this. I listened and I have to say I was captivated. For those who are genuinely passionate about this club this is a MUST listen.

Some examples:
- the main number he worries about in regards Preseason training are percentage of sessions completed. 60 percent of sessions is he key. When he is able to keep the number of players who don’t make 60 percent to less than 4 (go over that slowly to absorb) he has ALWAYS made top 4 the following season.
- he doesn’t care what other clubs do. He only cares what his players are doing, over time. His learnings come from outside the afl.
- he used to start preseasons softly then build. Then he started following an 800m running (coach?) who followed a ‘funnel’ system. For those familiar with traditional long distance running - in the off season they used to just do long runs, building up endurance supposedly. Then as the races came closer they would add endurance. This 800 coach changed that. Now at the start of the season they do ‘extemes’ - long runs AND fast stuff. Then funnel in to more specific stuff. Key is they do hard stuff day one.
- so for footy he has his players start hard stuff DAY ONE of preseason. And if the players aren’t up to it he makes a point of those who aren’t and removes them from the group! Cop that. Peer pressure etc.
- he values science highly and has studied things like sleep intensely. He is interested in what players are ‘thinking about’ away from training. Who they are hanging out with and what they are doing. Not ‘big brother style’ - more to help them realise their mindset affects their stress, sleep, recovery and performance.
-language used around the club is vital. Must be consistent. Messages must be the same no matter who they come from
- he expects injuries and in fact it would be a bad sign if there were none. You must push the group to the limit and a couple will fall off. “You just hope not the champions” - chuckled. But you don’t get high performance without pushing and with that comes injuries.
- he monitors everything. Group recovery TREND. Individuals. He’s interested in number of ‘acclerations’ And ‘deccelerarions’ by individual but not the absolute number (ie: not that it’s ‘50’) but rather what is the trend
- he doesn’t want all players doing the same thing in a game. Some players he wants to stay in bursts. Some long runs. Although to be fair I think this already happens.

Think about his success stories. Mitchell. Omeara. Burgoyne. They were TOP FOUR this year. He clearly had a huge role in that. They don’t have the talent to warrant that outcome compared to other clubs.

I’m now 100 percent convinced he is the biggest recruit of the last 4 years. He’s the complete package. Instinct. Science. Motivator. Conditioner.

He’s got the lot.

We are playing finals next year.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
I’m most excited to see what AR can do with JSOS. Hopefully we can improve his athleticism by 15-20%. WE would have a dangerous player on our hands.

Also keep to see him
Weiters - improve his speed
Setters - get on the park
SPS - have a preseason
Pickett - get him on the park and firing (I believe this would be the greatest reward)
Macredie - put on some size
Find a way to efficiently manage Williamsons condition.

Back